BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Weird turn signal issue Empty Weird turn signal issue Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:48 am

Roejen

Hello all, Just got my 85' K100 started up and running. Person I purchased it from had it sitting since 1989 and it has very very low millage. She will be my 1st bike and I cant wait.
I'm having a strange issue with the turn signals. They wont turn off after I turn them on. I turn the right turn signal on ( or the left) and It will not stop blinking till I turn the bike off. Am I missing something? I have pressed every turn signal switch and no effect. :|

2Back to top Go down   Weird turn signal issue Empty Re: Weird turn signal issue Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:49 am

Roejen

Starter brushes appear fine.

3Back to top Go down   Weird turn signal issue Empty Re: Weird turn signal issue Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:17 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Roejen
good to hear another 100 getting looked after. There is a button underneath the right hand swicthgear, just below the headlight switch. You have to push that button upwards to cancel the indicator.
These bikes were designed by Panzer tank builders, I always find it a handspan problem to get the thing off. Those guys could pick up an 88mm shell between each finger. Hopefully that's as simple as the problem is for you. THEN you better get some DeoxIT and clean all the electrical contacts you can find.
Cheers RT

4Back to top Go down   Weird turn signal issue Empty Re: Weird turn signal issue Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:42 am

Roejen

OOOooh , you push the button up..Odd. You would think that you push the button in...I'll try that. I kept pushing it and going "WTF!?!" Wink Thanks I'll try pushing it up.

5Back to top Go down   Weird turn signal issue Empty Re: Weird turn signal issue Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:45 am

Toto_jp

Platinum member
Platinum member
Its no issue unless you have 2 left hands , the amount of times I scared the shit out of me and other drivers pressing the horn instead of the indicator cancel button

yep is good to hear another girl getting new lease of life Smile

6Back to top Go down   Weird turn signal issue Empty Re: Weird turn signal issue Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:17 am

My amplifier goes up to eleven...and my indicator cancel button goes in or forward, and is on the right.

7Back to top Go down   Weird turn signal issue Empty Re: Weird turn signal issue Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:23 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Weird turn signal issue 44271

all good fun ......

welcome to the forum roejen fulll of "funny buggas" (aussie for humerous ...snakey ...comedians )

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

8Back to top Go down   Weird turn signal issue Empty Re: Weird turn signal issue Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:01 am

Isn't the humerous that bone right next to the femurous? No, I think it's up near yer elbowus, and tickles even when it hurts, that's it!

9Back to top Go down   Weird turn signal issue Empty Re: Weird turn signal issue Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:37 am

Life time member
Life time member
Toto_jp wrote: the amount of times I scared the shit out of me and other drivers pressing the horn instead of the indicator cancel button

I'm with you there Toto_jp but never mind the other drivers, I frightened myself doing the same thing yesterday Embarassed

Being new to beemers I'm still getting used to the 3 way switch thing myself and I'm not sure I like it but it is less fiddly than the buttons on some bikes.
88KE

Last edited by 88KE on Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

10Back to top Go down   Weird turn signal issue Empty Re: Weird turn signal issue Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:42 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The one that I get is with the tankbag I do a tight left turn and the horn button touches the tankbag and excretus maximus.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

11Back to top Go down   Weird turn signal issue Empty Re: Weird turn signal issue Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:30 am

Most of the newest Beemers (all of the new K series and the F series) have gone to the universal left hand side mounted (left to right/centre to cancel) thumb switch for the indicators...and to my way of thinking, a dumbing down of an efficient and excellent system. But they have had to tap into what's familiar to the masses BMW 'needs' to keep itself going into the future. BMW and Harley-Davidson have had, in my opinion, traditionally the best indicator switches on the market. Not any longer, as far as BMW is concerned. It's worse if you ride various bikes from them in a week. You have to look and then feel and it's distracting at best, dangerous at worst.

The BMW horn button location is another matter entirely! Always was a shit design in an emergency.

12Back to top Go down   Weird turn signal issue Empty Re: Weird turn signal issue Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:36 pm

Roejen

Thanks for the posts guys. I haven't had the chance to screw around with it yet because of work. I had to pull the fuel injectors out and change the O-rings on them. So far I have changed all the fluids, bled the break lines, and changed the plugs. Had to clean out the gas tank and replace the fuel pump too..Inside of the gas tank had gas sitting for 20 years. Had to use Purple power cleaner to clean it all out. The rubber boot that holds to fuel pump in place? yeah that turned to black Vaseline. After changing everything, she started up on the 1st try. Man I was happy. after a Min or two gas started shooting out from around one of the seals from the fuel injectors so I figured it was O-ring time.

13Back to top Go down   Weird turn signal issue Empty Re: Weird turn signal issue Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:39 pm

Roejen

Next issue will be finding a new gas cap as the one that was on it busted. Im going to try to see if I can get a after market keyless one that hopefully has the same diameter. The old junkyard ones are just going for to much these days.. :pale:

14Back to top Go down   Weird turn signal issue Empty Re: Weird turn signal issue Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:53 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Roejen wrote:Next issue will be finding a new gas cap as the one that was on it busted. Im going to try to see if I can get a after market keyless one that hopefully has the same diameter. The old junkyard ones are just going for to much these days.. :pale:

Don't think you will get one as many have tried and end up using an original but if you do find one post here and you will make many a brickrider happy.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

15Back to top Go down   Weird turn signal issue Empty Re: Weird turn signal issue Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:48 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
'busted' how?

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

16Back to top Go down   Weird turn signal issue Empty Re: Weird turn signal issue Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:32 pm

Toto_jp

Platinum member
Platinum member

17Back to top Go down   Weird turn signal issue Empty Re: Weird turn signal issue Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:53 am

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
Welcome Roejen. I still do the horn instead of cancel the indicator now and then. I have the old duel fiamm horns and it scares the s*&t out of me. But at least I know I'm alive and that the horns are all working!
K-Freak, I have had your problem as well Lol. Big tank bag, manoeuvring the bike, indicators, horn, thankfully there isn't a cruise control button there!!.

18Back to top Go down   Weird turn signal issue Empty Re: Weird turn signal issue Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:51 pm

Roejen

the guts under the cap basically busted. I turned the key to unlock it ( with minimal force), I hear a "Clink" sound and then the key just spun and spun. Had to pry it open. One of the plastic pieces on the bottom shattered.
Man those caps are expensive...Thanks all. Glad to have a place to be able to ask questions about this bike.

19Back to top Go down   Weird turn signal issue Empty Re: Weird turn signal issue Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:06 pm

Unfortunately you'll not find a suitable 'aftermarket' cap that fits. It is unique to BMW, this one. Others have gone there before you. Find a decent second hand one or try the parts houses like Motorworks, Motobins or eBay. Never mind Motorworks....they won't sell to North America due to 'insurance' reasons. Pity, that. Try Drake Smith in Seattle (K Bike Parts or somesuch) or Beemer Boneyard.

20Back to top Go down   Weird turn signal issue Empty Re: Weird turn signal issue Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:07 pm

Roejen

Yeah I know.....I found a few places that have them..Just dont want to spend anymore money.. But I guess if I want to rode a beemer, I'm going to have pay a Beemer price..I suppose its worth it.

21Back to top Go down   Weird turn signal issue Empty Re: Weird turn signal issue Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:39 pm

I got a brand new one from Motobins close-outs last year for under AU$60 delivered. It even came with a lock cylinder and was painted silver for an RT/LT. One day I'll paint it black like the original. For now it holds the petrol in really well being silver and all.

22Back to top Go down   Weird turn signal issue Empty Re: Weird turn signal issue Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:53 pm

Roejen

Figured the problem out. Neither of the front turn signals where attached at the time. When I snapped them on then the signal and stopper functioned as intended. I need to order some new turn signal covers and a new right turn signal paddle...and that dreaded gas cap and she'll be ready to hit the road come spring.
Thanks all for the help and advice.

23Back to top Go down   Weird turn signal issue Empty Re: Weird turn signal issue Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:56 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Try shails motorcycles in vancouver bc canada. Google and you'll get their website, they have lots of used stuff if you contact them via email or phone. They will ship. I use them a lot.

24Back to top Go down   Weird turn signal issue Empty Re: Weird turn signal issue Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:57 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member

25Back to top Go down   Weird turn signal issue Empty Re: Weird turn signal issue Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:08 pm

Roejen

Thanks clicking now. Was going to call the guys at Re-pyscle.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum