BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Water in Bevel Box Empty Water in Bevel Box Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:34 am

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
Hi Guys. Was doing an oil and filter change today before a trip away tomorrow and went to check the oil level in the Final Drive. I replaced the oil in it in May this year and all appeared normal then.
It was just below the level of the filler/inspection hole this time, but was white!.
I've drained it out, filled it with fresh oil and turned the wheel a number of times and drained it and re-filled it.
I'll do this again when I'm back from my trip next weekend.

Is there anything else I should be doing to flush out any remnants of water?
How did water get in there?

The speedo pick up is in place as is the breather.

I just cant figure out where the water has come from. It's not like I've gone through deep puddles Lol!

Anyone else come across this and is there anything I can do to avoid it?

Cheers
Geord'

2Back to top Go down   Water in Bevel Box Empty Re: Water in Bevel Box Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:41 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
You can get some condensation in there but I wouldn't think enough to do that. If it gets in again check the rubber boot on the front of the swinging arm, it could be leaking and getting in via a front seal.
I have heard of a pressure washer getting water into all sorts of places but it needs a fair bit to emulsify the oil.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Water in Bevel Box Empty Re: Water in Bevel Box Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:10 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
I see that you got an rather early model, and remember that it was a modification done on the breather
to the early models to prevent water ingress.

But to remember what the modification was, and where I did read it.......that`s a complete other story.

Inge K.

4Back to top Go down   Water in Bevel Box Empty Re: Water in Bevel Box Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:59 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Inge K has been stumped, I don't believe it.
We are all in trouble.

5Back to top Go down   Water in Bevel Box Empty Re: Water in Bevel Box Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:43 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Hold your fire!!! After some searching among old printed matters I finally did find it.

This modification was made from the -85 and on models, to prevent water ingress during heavy rain.

First, check if you got a small hole in the side of plastic cap at the breather, if not......proceed with:
Remove the plastic cap, drill a 3mm hole on the side of the cap, 6,5mm from the bottom edge.
Mount an o-ring with part# 33 11 1 454 606 at the ventilation stub (no idea about the dimensions,
you have to measure the stub and cap........but a 8 x 11mm won`t be that far away...I`ll guess).
Put the cap back, with the hole facing rearwards...............done.

Inge K.

6Back to top Go down   Water in Bevel Box Empty Re: Water in Bevel Box Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:14 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Inge K. wrote:........but a 8 x 11mm won`t be that far away...I`ll guess).

Edit: Looking at Maxbmw, 12 x 15mm would be closer to the truth.

Inge K.

7Back to top Go down   Water in Bevel Box Empty Re: Water in Bevel Box Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:30 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good work inge ..... bows to master !!! giggle

hope you get the issue resolved geord ...ill bet that was quite a surprise huh ?

twb reports that similar issues have occured to the gearbox as well ...for some this won't be a surprise ....so a good timely reminder to check oils and stuff regularly .

good riding to you !!!

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

8Back to top Go down   Water in Bevel Box Empty Re: Water in Bevel Box Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:13 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Good one, better get to it now! It could have happened also if you left it sometime after draining (OR LEFT IT DRAINING FOR A LONG TIME?), so that moisture got in before you refilled it. However, as per Inge above, heavy rain or a pressure washer sounds more like it. Seeing the age of my bike and more noticed recall not done I better have a look myself.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Water in Bevel Box Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

9Back to top Go down   Water in Bevel Box Empty Re: Water in Bevel Box Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:20 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
"Hold your fire!!! After some searching among old printed matters I finally did find it."

Hoo boy, that was close!

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

10Back to top Go down   Water in Bevel Box Empty Re: Water in Bevel Box Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:33 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
charlie99 wrote:good work inge ..... bows to master !!! giggle

twb reports that similar issues have occured to the gearbox as well ...for some this won't be a surprise

Thanks for the award...... Embarassed

Not that strange it happen with gearboxes also, since the breather is a similar contruction (same sleeve,
different cap....lower cap i think).

Never been any modification to this AFAIK. Maybe it`s a idea to do the same mod on this one, for those
who often get water in their gearbox.............pressure washer is the one to blame for this, I`ll guess.

Inge K.

11Back to top Go down   Water in Bevel Box Empty Re: Water in Bevel Box Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:18 pm

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks guys. I thought about it last night and thought the breather was the only way for water to get in. Looks like the original 1984 breather. So I'll get the drill out Lol.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum