BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Damn its not the seal Empty Damn its not the seal Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:22 pm

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
Well pulled the gearbox last night, gotta love working on these bikes it only took me just over on an hour to have the box on the bench.

Pulled it out to do the seals but found that the leak is actually coming from the front cover.....Damn. Mad

Oh well bit of loctite 573 will fix that, while i have it open i will have a quick look at the bearings. Funds and time don't allow me to replace the bearings just at this point(unless they look shagged) in which case no riding over my xmas break. Sad The box seems to operate ok with no noises or anything.

Will do the engine rear main seal and o ring while i am in there though and check and clean the swingarm bearings. I am going to take happy snaps during the job so i can put them up here for anyone that is interested.

UPDATE. I was wondering what to use for sealant for the front cover(manual states loctite 573) its obsolete. Rang Loctites tech department and the product that replaces it is Loctite 518. Comes in 50ml tube costs about $30. Just thought it might be helpful for others who were looking for it.

All this came about when i did the spline lube and found an oil leak, oh well such is the joy of the K.

Here is pics of box. Yellow arrow is seal i thought was leaking and the white arrows are where it is actually leaking where the cover plate mounts to the gearbox.

Damn its not the seal 2011-119

Some close ups of the leaking area.

Damn its not the seal 2011-120

Damn its not the seal 2011-121

Main seal removed.

Damn its not the seal 2011-122

Inside the cover where it was leaking (arrows)

Damn its not the seal 2011-123

Swingarm cleaned up and bearings removed. Still toying with painting gearbox,swingarm and f/drive silver.

Damn its not the seal 2011-124

Another Update.

Got the gearbox back together last night replaced all the seals bar the one on the input shaft where the clutch pushrod goes thru, replaced main seal and o ring on the engine. Put the clutch back on (not fun) and reinstalled the gearbox. Note to anyone doing the clutch, when you match mark all the components don't wash the parts with solvent afterwards!!! OOPS no more marks. The more experienced members on here are now chuckling away to themselves. I'm not used to that many bits in a clutch, only used to clutch & plate pressure thats it. Anyhow i am hoping to get enough time away from my pre xmas list of things to do around the house, to finish putting the bike back together. We weren't supposed to be working today,( i was going to put it back together today) but here i am at work woohoo.

Last edited by caferacer62 on Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:09 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : bad spelling/pics added)

Don't give in to the Black Dog!
"A Zorst, a zorst my kingdom for a Zorst"

Damn its not the seal 170874

2Back to top Go down   Damn its not the seal Empty Re: Damn its not the seal Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:29 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good idea on the pics bert 2.0

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   Damn its not the seal Empty Re: Damn its not the seal Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:00 am

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
All back together now, goes a lot smoother for the lube on the clutch/spline areas. Definitley worth the effort.

Thanks to everyone for the info on the project, made life a lot less stressful.

4Back to top Go down   Damn its not the seal Empty Re: Damn its not the seal Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:13 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good one bert 2.0

hope to see you on tuesday ....8.00 - 8.30 ish ish ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   Damn its not the seal Empty Re: Damn its not the seal Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:24 am

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
Be there with xmas bells on.

6Back to top Go down   Damn its not the seal Empty Re: Damn its not the seal Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:21 am

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Nice thread bert 2.0 very useful info on the loctite.

BIG D

7Back to top Go down   Damn its not the seal Empty Re: Damn its not the seal Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:30 am

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
cheers Very Happy Good job. Gotta love those centre punches!! (dont wash off!!)

8Back to top Go down   Damn its not the seal Empty Re: Damn its not the seal Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:03 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The white paint pens are the best thing and I always write the thickness of the clutch plate and date of the job on the clutch centre. It pays when you pull it down next time.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum