BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Empty ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:30 pm

Cleverbee

Cleverbee
This is my first post on the Forum, so here goes.....

Having just returned back to motorcycling after a 20 year break, I've bought a 1988 K100LT, curently preping it for a Grand Tour of Europe later in the year.

However there is one fault I cannot fathom out, yes I have two steady ABS warning lights on when I first start up, I ride off and check the brakes, all fine and the central warning light goes out, but and most damned annoying the ABS warning light stays on fully, no flashing, but just on all the time !

I've found the said blanking plug and followed all the techniques I can find to reset, but to no avail,Shocked

HELP !!!

2Back to top Go down   ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Empty Re: ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:35 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Welcome Cleverbee!

Have you tried to read out any fault codes?
Some info about this is to be found here.

Inge K.

3Back to top Go down   ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Empty Re: ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:43 pm

WayneDW

WayneDW
Silver member
Silver member
Welcome!

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I "fixed" it on my bike with a piece of black electrical tape over the blinking light. As you probably know, the brakes still work, just no ABS backup.

http://www.fossilapostles.com

4Back to top Go down   ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Empty Re: ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:24 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
You say ABS light, is it just the light in the centre of the instrument panel or that and the light in the speedo. Both will flash if there is an ABS fault and the big one in the centre of the panel with the triangle with a steady light is the bulb warning light. you may just have a blown bulb.
The ABS lights will only stay on and not flash if you have pressed the ABS switch on the dash and then only for about 10 minutes.
Oh yes and welcome to the forum.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

5Back to top Go down   ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Empty Re: ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:10 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
The bulb out sensor will warn if you have a bad contact in the rear bulb cluster where the bulb plugs in. As you will find in the forum the established treatment for our bikes is to treat every single connection with DeoxIT from Caig.
Regards,
K-BIKE

6Back to top Go down   ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Empty Re: ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:27 am

Cleverbee

Cleverbee
Thanks for the replies, the bulb that is permanently on is the lower left ABS on the instrument cluster.
However, the only area that I haven't checked is the ABS rocker switch, if it is shorted out, giving a permanent test, that could be the riddle.
Will keep you all updated soon......

7Back to top Go down   ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Empty Re: ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:53 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
If you suspect it is an ABS fault after your tests read the fault codes on the diagnostic socket that will tell you if you do have an ABS fault and a good pointer to what it is.
Regards,
K-BIKE

8Back to top Go down   ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Empty Re: ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:38 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I would say that with that light being the only one on that you have a fault but not a specific ABS fault. But do check the fault codes as K Bike suggested it may reveal something.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

9Back to top Go down   ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Empty Re: ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:30 pm

Cleverbee

Cleverbee
Well I've checked the ABS test switch, all is well, no wires loose or anything like that and not shorted out, so I've bought myself a nice little LED today and armed with soldering iron, will now make up a loom to test. Thanks for info so far and don't hold your breaths....... this may take some time and it's 0 degrees in the garage !!!

10Back to top Go down   ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Empty Re: ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:04 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
The scary thing is some of our fellow K Bike riders from the US experience 0 degrees F and that is really cold. From years of living in the UK I know it is no pleasure working in an unheated UK garage with fingers like sticks of wood. i don't do zero anything if it can be avoided that's one of the reasons why I moved to NZ.
Regards,
K-BIKE

11Back to top Go down   ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Empty Re: ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:33 am

Cleverbee

Cleverbee
Well here's the story so far..... -4 in the garage at the mo, done a test of both modulators, dead electronically that is. Wheel sensors ok, brain in a nicely wrapped parcel to go to Tosi Tubaki on Monday.
New throttle cable to fit whilst tank is off, oh yes, 4 x pinholes repaired in said tank ! Got 2nd hand modulators
off flea bay, await arrival.
Happy days.......

12Back to top Go down   ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Empty Re: ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:42 am

Cleverbee

Cleverbee
P.S. out on patrol last night, -15 deg C. In East Yorkshire !

13Back to top Go down   ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Empty Re: ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:54 am

Life time member
Life time member
Cleverbee wrote:P.S. out on patrol last night, -15 deg C. In East Yorkshire !

Woah! that's nippy! Thank God a warm front form the Atlantic is stopping that crossing over to us in the Emerald Isle.

The good thing about working on the bike in cold temperatures is you can remain perpendicular to the ground. This time last year it was -11 here and I was rolling around under my old range rover on a carpet trying to keep it mobile in the snow!

Keep your own Brain cosily wrapped in those temperatures Cleverbee!

88KE

14Back to top Go down   ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Empty Re: ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:10 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
What was the fault code you got when you read it?
Regards,
K-BIKE

15Back to top Go down   ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Empty Re: ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:51 pm

Cleverbee

Cleverbee
I never got one K, as soon as ignition on the led went from a dim glow to a one short, and I mean short bright burst then back to dim......
Still awaiting modulators. Tank re-sprayed, UPS with brain to the Land of The Rising Sun.....

16Back to top Go down   ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Empty Re: ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:21 pm

Cleverbee

Cleverbee
Got the ABS computer back from Tosi, plugged in, all abs lights out, ran the bike down the street, big stomp on rear brake, abs cuts in.
Next big handful of front brake, abs cuts in, YIPPEE !!!
THANKS TOSI AND ALL THOSE WITH ADVICE. Razz

17Back to top Go down   ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Empty Re: ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:25 pm

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
Out of interest, did you get a fault/repair report indicating what was wrong?

Mike

18Back to top Go down   ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Empty Re: ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:52 pm

Cleverbee

Cleverbee
Yep, a burnt hole in the middle of the circuit board, with photos to prove ! Embarassed

19Back to top Go down   ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Empty Re: ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:05 am

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
Ouch!

Any idea of the root cause?

Mike

20Back to top Go down   ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Empty Re: ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:17 am

Cleverbee

Cleverbee
Tosi believes it may be due to a high voltage shunt through the unit, but there was a resistor that had managed to cook itself in isolation from other components nearby, hence the burnt hole.
That man definitely knows his stuff.

21Back to top Go down   ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Empty Re: ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:26 am

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
Cheers, I hope it stands the test of time.

Mike

22Back to top Go down   ABS-1 NEW FAULT LIGHT... Empty ABS Working Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:09 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Well done good result and there is no question Tosi is the ABS wizard he fixed mine and there isn't a time that I ride my bike when I don't think of him and offer silent thanks that the ABS is working.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum