BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Shredded Clutch Plate splines Empty Shredded Clutch Plate splines Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:48 am

Lazyboy

Lazyboy
Silver member
Silver member
Lazyboy came to a dead stop with a whining noise from the clutch housing. Stripped it down this morning and found that the clutch plate splines have been completely stripped ! Can not find any reason why, nothing is jammed and all bearings are in one peice but are a bit rough. Need to replace them. Dont want to repair before I know what could have caused this. The clutch plate is new and only done 4,000KM. The centre portion of the cluth plate is a billets turned from steel shaft ( BMW Sacs )and the original is forged steel. ANY IDEAS WHAT COULD HAVE GONE WRONG ?????

2Back to top Go down   Shredded Clutch Plate splines Empty Re: Shredded Clutch Plate splines Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:44 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
gee thats sad news lazy .....id like to see the input shaft to gearbox bearings and that spline ....

3Back to top Go down   Shredded Clutch Plate splines Empty Re: Shredded Clutch Plate splines Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:58 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Usually it is from a lack of lubrication on the splines causing uneven wear. All the splines I have seen after a stripped clutch spline have been worn badly at the section where the rear of the clutch splines contact the shaft.
Like this
Shredded Clutch Plate splines 49866110

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   Shredded Clutch Plate splines Empty Re: Shredded Clutch Plate splines Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:11 am

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
I had exactly the same shaft spline damge (as well as ripping out the clutch splines completely) on my R1150RT, and that had only covered 17,000 miles. Cost me a new clutch, input shaft and bearing plus all gearbox seals (the rest of the bearings were fine). Sad

So don't let anyone tell you it's just the K series, lots of threads elsewhere covering other models.

Mike

5Back to top Go down   Shredded Clutch Plate splines Empty Re: Shredded Clutch Plate splines Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:34 pm

Lazyboy

Lazyboy
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks Rick G and mike d for your replies. The shaft splines are all OK, it is the clutch splines that were ripped out and I did a spline lube 500km ago. All bearings on gearbox side seem fine but the differential is very rough. have stirpped it down and found that the two bearings on the crownwheel are OK but the pinion side is very rough,sticky and noisy. I dont have the special tools needed to strip it, nor the experience to take on the assembly and settings of the C & P. Will have to take it in to BMW agents ($$$$$ ?affraid ) to re-assemble. Am trying to source the bearings from the various bearing stores but so far they say only available from agents ! Is this possible ? Maybe I am not giving them the correct bearing numbers. Does anyone perhaps have these numbers ? (SFF, TNT, FAG, KOYO)

Bikes Name: Lazyboy

6Back to top Go down   Shredded Clutch Plate splines Empty Re: Shredded Clutch Plate splines Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:10 pm

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
BMW Part Number
33 12 2 310 925

Description
Rear drive pinion large bearing, K100 through R1150

Size
62x25x25.4 roller & ball

Bearing Number
F-213832,F-229445

Mike

7Back to top Go down   Shredded Clutch Plate splines Empty Re: Shredded Clutch Plate splines Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:25 pm

walfish

walfish
Life time member
Life time member
http://hrsbstaff.ednet.ns.ca/bvogel/K100/download/bearings_equivalency_chart.htm

More information for you, can;t see any reason for the local bearing suppliers not to carry them, SKF are manufactured in SA.
Did you not perhaps have an alignment problem that caused this?

8Back to top Go down   Shredded Clutch Plate splines Empty Re: Shredded Clutch Plate splines Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:05 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The only thing that is specific to BMW is the crown wheel shims which set the backlash. If you can get a supply of them (dealers may have a range) anybody with the experience to do a bevel drive should be able to set it up. They are not really anything different despite of what der people en der farterland will tell you.
Often with the bearings they are not listed but if you can supply a part number then they can be obtained.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum