BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   TDC TOOL??????? Empty TDC TOOL??????? Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:21 pm

Puccini

Silver member
Silver member
I am thinking about buying a 12MM TDC tool.

They screw into the #1 spark plug hole and have a rod that screws in and out to touch the top of the piston.

Whats the proper way to use the tool?

Gerry

2Back to top Go down   TDC TOOL??????? Empty Re: TDC TOOL??????? Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:35 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Puccini wrote:I am thinking about buying a 12MM TDC tool.

They screw into the #1 spark plug hole and have a rod that screws in and out to touch the top of the piston.

Whats the proper way to use the tool?

Gerry

Long time ago I had one made with an old spark plug and a mechanical indicator.
If the purpose of this is to set the ignition,you are better to do a dynamic setting using a timing light.

CF

TDC TOOL??????? 31283_TTSTouchToolMechanical_lrg

3Back to top Go down   TDC TOOL??????? Empty Re: TDC TOOL??????? Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:46 pm

Puccini

Silver member
Silver member
Thats a TDC Gauge. The tool I'm getting is a TDC Tool. It only has a screw in threaded stud that the piston butts up against to stop it.

I just don't know how I'm supposed to set it up.

Gerry

4Back to top Go down   TDC TOOL??????? Empty Re: TDC TOOL??????? Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:03 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Puccini wrote:Thats a TDC Gauge. The tool I'm getting is a TDC Tool. It only has a screw in threaded stud that the piston butts up against to stop it.

I just don't know how I'm supposed to set it up.
Gerry

Take an old spark plug, drill it and install a rod that you can lock in the plug. This is the same principle as the indicator but you will be able to lock the piston.

5Back to top Go down   TDC TOOL??????? Empty Re: TDC TOOL??????? Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:37 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Puccini,
That's more commonly called a piston stop and you need a degree plate fixed to the crankshaft to determine TDC. Once installed, rotate the engine until the piston contacts the stop and note the reading on the degree plate. Now rotate the engine backwards, again until the piston reaches the stop and note that reading. Half the distance between the two readings will be TDC.
Cheers,
Paul.

6Back to top Go down   TDC TOOL??????? Empty Piston Stop. Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:08 pm

Puccini

Silver member
Silver member
Can that be used on the K100?

I've never tried to time a K100.

Is there access to the flywheel or someplace to mark?

Gerry

7Back to top Go down   TDC TOOL??????? Empty Re: TDC TOOL??????? Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:20 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Puccini wrote:Can that be used on the K100?

I've never tried to time a K100.

Is there access to the flywheel or someplace to mark?

Gerry
The only place to attach a degree wheel is at the front where the hall sensors are. You would need to have a special spacer made to adapt it. I have only ever used a dial gauge so I cant help any futher on a spacer for the front.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

8Back to top Go down   TDC TOOL??????? Empty Re: TDC TOOL??????? Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:02 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
sidecar paul wrote:Once installed, rotate the engine until the piston contacts the stop and note the reading on the degree plate. Now rotate the engine backwards, again until the piston reaches the stop and note that reading. Half the distance between the two readings will be TDC.
Cheers,
Paul.
Could be that I completely misunderstand something here...
But this must then be carried out at cylinder #2, to find TDC at cylinder #1.
If all carried out at #1 you find BDC.

Inge K.

9Back to top Go down   TDC TOOL??????? Empty Re: TDC TOOL??????? Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:06 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Inge K. wrote:
sidecar paul wrote:Once installed, rotate the engine until the piston contacts the stop and note the reading on the degree plate. Now rotate the engine backwards, again until the piston reaches the stop and note that reading. Half the distance between the two readings will be TDC.
Cheers,
Paul.
Could be that I completely misunderstand something here...
But this must then be carried out at cylinder #2, to find TDC at cylinder #1.
If all carried out at #1 you find BDC.

Inge K.
Once you have set the degree wheel you take the stop out. and there is TDC

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

10Back to top Go down   TDC TOOL??????? Empty Re: TDC TOOL??????? Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:35 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Yes, of course...I`m kind of slow today....did think 180 degree wrong.
So I misunderstood it completely.......

Inge K.

11Back to top Go down   TDC TOOL??????? Empty Re: TDC TOOL??????? Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:53 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
I'm with you on this one Inge.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland TDC TOOL??????? Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

12Back to top Go down   TDC TOOL??????? Empty Re: TDC TOOL??????? Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:15 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Using a piston stop is a good thing when putting an engine together.
I used one when assembling my fuel engine on the drag bike. I would put the stop in and turn the engine to the stop and that was a known 10 deg BTDC then I could drop the magneto into its place and move it to the correct place just by using the degree arc on the magneto body then tighten a bolt and all was ready to go.
It helps when you need to change an engine between races.

13Back to top Go down   TDC TOOL??????? Empty Re: TDC TOOL??????? Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:45 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Yes Rick (Oh how I miss K freak), the one I made for the Vincent has a vent so that it doesn't come up against compression and it stops the piston at 34 degrees BTDC which is the ignition timing point. It makes life so much easier.

This morning the sun was shining so I wheeled my spare engine outside and made an adaptor to fit a degree plate to a K........just in case anyone would wish to do so, here are the details.

TDC TOOL??????? Ssl10815

13mm bar, 110mm long, turned down to 10mm x 50mm long and threaded M10 x 1mm pitch, (note that this is a fine thread) for about 20mm. Tap the end M6 to attach the disc. Cross drill a hole to use a tommy bar for tightening.

TDC TOOL??????? Ssl10816

TDC TOOL??????? Ssl10817

I can't imagine that I will ever use it, but somebody somewhere might find the idea useful.
Paul.

14Back to top Go down   TDC TOOL??????? Empty Re: TDC TOOL??????? Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:03 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have often thought of making a hole in the bellhousing and marking the clutch carrier in a few places for TDC, BDC and firing points.
I really dont know why it was not done by the factory, I suppose because then the owners could do more themselves and not pay the dealer to seriously neglect the bike.

15Back to top Go down   TDC TOOL??????? Empty Re: TDC TOOL??????? Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:01 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Rick G wrote:I suppose because then the owners could do more themselves and not pay the dealer to seriously neglect the bike.

TDC TOOL??????? 212902

16Back to top Go down   TDC TOOL??????? Empty Re: TDC TOOL??????? Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:26 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
a great tool paul....

not only good for electronic/mechanical timing ..but also good for mapping cam lobes, piston tdc and btc ...etc

i have heard (read ) that there is suposed to be different cam timings on early models (pre 85-86) worded as more agressive ......it would be interesting to see if cam duration , lift .and rotational timing across the different models and years made much difference to the performance of the bike ....of corse an understanding of what kind of rev range we use the most (after all we all have different riding abilities and preferences of comfortable revs )

cheers!...... a great tool

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

17Back to top Go down   TDC TOOL??????? Empty Re: TDC TOOL??????? Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:21 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Thinking a bit further down this line, if one had a 12mm tapped bar (1.25 pitch - spark plug thread) with a degree plate fixed on the end, one could use it as a piston stop to find TDC: back off the bar and move the piston to TDC: gently screw the bar back until it just touches the piston: back off the piston, then turn the bar clockwise 69.1 degrees and that will be the static timing point.

The timing point is 0.24mm BTDC, one turn of the screw moves 1.25mm, so we need to move the bar 0.24 divided by 1.25, ie 0.192: converting to degrees we multiply 360 by 0.192 and get 69.12. QED

Well, it could be an option if you don't have a dial gauge.....Or should I get out more?
Paul.

18Back to top Go down   TDC TOOL??????? Empty Re: TDC TOOL??????? Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:53 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
When you start making a minature dial gauge to fit the minature brick (that I have no doubt you have already considered making) we will know it's time to call the rubber truck.

19Back to top Go down   TDC TOOL??????? Empty Re: TDC TOOL??????? Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:22 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Couldn't you simply make that same bar dilled through and put a longer pin through marked for the various, like TDC and the ignition point? Keep it 'loaded' with your finger on it and see how it moves. Flat end on it so in can't fall through........

It is weekend, let's see Very Happy

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland TDC TOOL??????? Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

20Back to top Go down   TDC TOOL??????? Empty Re: TDC TOOL??????? Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:54 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
You don't get weekends when you're retired Rene, Sad

Now if BMW quoted the timing point as degrees of crankshaft rotation, the crankshaft timing disc alone would suffice.
Paul.

21Back to top Go down   TDC TOOL??????? Empty Re: TDC TOOL??????? Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:39 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
ReneZ has a great Idea just like the old pencil air gauges measure the pin set the crank seat the plug pin unit and start the timing set up. Thats on the money.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum