BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   oil filter Empty oil filter Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:17 am

lesso

lesso
purchased the tool to remove filter but no joy. jumped up and down swore a few times, andnow back in the warm. anysugesstions plz that are not rude lol:twisted:

2Back to top Go down   oil filter Empty oil filter Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:23 am

Dennis

Dennis
Platinum member
Platinum member
Assuming you mean you cannot get the filter off, take the cup type filter tool and drill 2 clearance holes for self-drilling tech screws in it 180 degrees apart. Drive the tech screws into the filter through the cup tool then unscrew using a swivel bar in the 1/2" drive square. Makes a bit of mess when the oil leaks out but the filter will be off. Don't overtighten the replacement filter, about 2/3 of a turn after the lubricated rubber seal touches the housing. Oh, and don't forget to fill the filter with oil prior to installind (shortens the run time with no/low oil pressure).

3Back to top Go down   oil filter Empty filter Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:41 am

lesso

lesso
thanks will try it

4Back to top Go down   oil filter Empty Re: oil filter Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:24 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Hi lesso,
I've got two different oil filter tools for different makes of filter:-

oil filter Ssl10821 Is it possible that the filter and tool don't match?

Paul.

5Back to top Go down   oil filter Empty tool Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:33 pm

lesso

lesso
checked is right one but must have been on too tight looks like screwdriver job as dont fancy takeing the bottom off

6Back to top Go down   oil filter Empty Re: oil filter Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:23 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Lesso, your post regarding the oil filter will get lost in the Electrical section.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

7Back to top Go down   oil filter Empty oil filter Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:33 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Re opening this one to ask any of you gurus if, when you are changing the oil filter, does anyone fill up the filter with oil before you screw it in. I thought about doing it but looked a bit messy last time. I have other machinery that requires the oil filter to be filled first.
Any thoughts Please? ( the bike is draining overnight and the oil was filthy after 3,500 klm)
RT

8Back to top Go down   oil filter Empty Re: oil filter Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:39 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
I always fill up the filter on those vehicles that have the mounting surface upwards.
To get the oil pressure up, as quick as possible.

Last edited by Inge K. on Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total

9Back to top Go down   oil filter Empty Re: oil filter Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:44 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
RT wrote:Re opening this one to ask any of you gurus if, when you are changing the oil filter, does anyone fill up the filter with oil before you screw it in. I thought about doing it but looked a bit messy last time. I have other machinery that requires the oil filter to be filled first.
Any thoughts Please? ( the bike is draining overnight and the oil was filthy after 3,500 klm)
RT
If its comming out filthy then it's bringing all the crud with it. If oil comes out of a old engine still clean then its not doing its job.
As Inge said if you can fill a filter then you do it.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

10Back to top Go down   oil filter Empty Re: oil filter Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:14 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Absolutely agree with Inge and Rick always fill the oil filter with oil if you can because it reduces the time the engine runs without oil pressure.
Regards,
K-BIKE

11Back to top Go down   oil filter Empty oil filter Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:32 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks guru s , all done and back together. Only managed to spill a pint of new oil on the floor of the garage, so getting better.
RT

12Back to top Go down   oil filter Empty Re: oil filter Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:58 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
onya rt...!

good riding just round the corner ....enjoy !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

13Back to top Go down   oil filter Empty Re: oil filter Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:22 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
yeay (only spilt half a pint) your gettin better, only requires a couple of items from the M/InLaws clothesline to clean that up or a rag bag if ya been pilphering earlier. RickG last time I changed the oil me brother flogged the oil to put in his ute, everytime I remember that I remember why i wont borrow his ute.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

14Back to top Go down   oil filter Empty oil filter Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:32 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Yes, I have to say that the crutchless french nightdress number I took off the mother in laws line wasn't very absorbent, but the wife's bath towel worked a treat.
Alls well.
RT

15Back to top Go down   oil filter Empty Re: oil filter Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:44 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
oil filter 44271

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

16Back to top Go down   oil filter Empty Re: oil filter Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:38 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Your oil filter is stocked????

Don't you remember this solution?

It could be difficult to find 'stuff' on the forum, but your best friend is the Google search box on the portal page. Smile

17Back to top Go down   oil filter Empty Re: oil filter Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:46 pm

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Oh rt thats a foriegn garment that is, and I bet the misses pinches yours now. Question without notice. How many times do i highjack a thread before I receive a eye patch in the mail, I thought I'd be aimimg for the swashbuckle by now

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

18Back to top Go down   oil filter Empty Re: oil filter Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:47 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Crazy Frog wrote:Your oil filter is stocked????

Don't you remember this solution?

It could be difficult to find 'stuff' on the forum, but your best friend is the Google search box on the portal page. Smile

While those ideas are good CF, I think you forgot one.
THIS ONE

This was my first post back in 2008.
I just wish I had the sense back then to keep in contact with the forum.
And yes RT, even back then CF suggests replacing with a full filter.
Yes, the screwdriver worked a treat.
rossco

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

19Back to top Go down   oil filter Empty oil filter Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:27 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
My newish oil sight glass doesn't have a dot in the middle, so I'm struggling to get the fill JUST right. A bit too much and she smokes a bit on startup(centre stand only), and I keep putting in another 100ml, go for a ride, wait till it cools and it is always just a tiny bit under the perceived middle. I just know the next top up will run it too far over.
And I am not paranoid, so stop looking at me.

20Back to top Go down   oil filter Empty Re: oil filter Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:27 am

I have discovered that even though I am not paranoid, they may be out to get me anyway. Fill the bugger up to 2/3 of the sight glass and relax.

21Back to top Go down   oil filter Empty Re: oil filter Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:39 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
RT technically I wasn't looking at you. see its like this. I was thinking. Its like looking in the fridge for the custard tart, its not there but as soon as you ask out loud and the voice from the other room starts berating you it appears in the middle of the shelf right in front of you where it wasn't just a second ago, you have not shut the fridge yet so ? its just there, having turned off the ears and turned on the eyes you can see it. I was thinking which is like listening with the ears but and so the eyes were not in use, so i wasn't looking at you, it just seems that way,oh btw there is crunbs in ya beard bro

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum