BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Battery health Empty Battery health Sat May 12, 2012 5:20 pm

BooG

BooG
Platinum member
Platinum member
Evening all! (London Calling!)
K75 conked out when I tried to start. Engine turned over weakly, then stopped turning over. Took battery out. Reading 12.26v.
What is a healthy reading with the battery out?
Charging on the bike should read about 14v whilst running, yeah?
Thanks in advance!

2Back to top Go down   Battery health Empty Re: Battery health Sat May 12, 2012 5:31 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Read battery voltage while cranking, a good one should stay above 10 volts,......
but down to 8 volts can be accepted.

3Back to top Go down   Battery health Empty Re: Battery health Sat May 12, 2012 5:34 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Good evening London.... Plymouth here..

12.26V should be suffecient to get started, 13.05V is what i have at present on my battery, the things that spring to mind are along the lines of what is your spark like? is the starter motor just spinning?

Battery health 169042Battery health 169034

4Back to top Go down   Battery health Empty Re: Battery health Sat May 12, 2012 5:47 pm

BooG

BooG
Platinum member
Platinum member
Its been getting a bit "low" feeling for a while, but it always seemed to start real easy without any encouragement...no throttle/2 seconds approx of crank and ignition. Today, I got about half a second cranking, and then no more!
Haven't checked the spark coz it was not turning over, so thought I'd attend to the battery first. To be fair, it was looking a bit ruff! This 75 had precious little love from previous owners. There was some evidence of sulphation around the top of the battery, and when I checked the water levels, two cells had the plates exposed!
Charging up as we speak and will see if it recovers and hold charge.

5Back to top Go down   Battery health Empty Re: Battery health Sat May 12, 2012 6:14 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
The voltage doesn't tell all, its also how many amps are produced when needed. Best test is getting it on a proper battery tester.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Battery health Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

6Back to top Go down   Battery health Empty Re: Battery health Sun May 13, 2012 6:49 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
possibly recoverable ...but past experience says to me ....unfortunatly ...not likely ...but give it a go . clean up all the termination points . maybe even file off the corrosion from the eye terminals under the bolts .

check, clean and retighten the main earth lug ontop of the gearbox as well ..

good luck !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

7Back to top Go down   Battery health Empty Re: Battery health Sun May 13, 2012 11:22 am

Agerbundsen

Agerbundsen
Silver member
Silver member
Normal charging voltage is between 13.8 and a bit over 14 volts. The battery will seep down to about 12.5 volts in a rather shrt time after charging. So, a fully charged, healthy battery should read 12.5 volts at rest.

The 12.25 volts at rest (if after charging) seems to indicate that it's just about done.

8Back to top Go down   Battery health Empty Re: Battery health Mon May 14, 2012 5:01 am

BooG

BooG
Platinum member
Platinum member
Charged up and has got her running again. I will keep my eyes on the battery over the next few days and see what state it is in.
Thanks for all the advice!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum