BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   shifter shaft screw tightening. Empty shifter shaft screw tightening. Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:16 pm

scout18

scout18
I'm about ready to pull the transmission to get at this little screw that keeps the shift shaft from moving past it's stops. I want to pull the tranny with the final drive intact. This seems pretty straight forward. Any helpful comments are appreciated. Thanks for all the help so far folks.

2Back to top Go down   shifter shaft screw tightening. Empty Re: shifter shaft screw tightening. Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:42 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
They will come out like that but its a two person job to get it in and is a real PITA, to be honest you would be far better to disassemble it all and check things as you go and lube the splines as well

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   shifter shaft screw tightening. Empty Re: shifter shaft screw tightening. Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:46 pm

scout18

scout18
Too late, I had it cribbed up nice to catch it though. With only 37,000 miles on it I'm going to gamble a little. I'm not even sure I'm going to like it. I may have to get a more up right bike or RT handlebars for it Surprised

4Back to top Go down   shifter shaft screw tightening. Empty Re: shifter shaft screw tightening. Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:53 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
It may only have 37k on it but it is 25 years old and grease dries out. For the little bit of time is it really worth thr chance.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

5Back to top Go down   shifter shaft screw tightening. Empty Re: shifter shaft screw tightening. Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:12 am

scout18

scout18
Good point Rick. I'll have to address that too. Thaks for the tips.

6Back to top Go down   shifter shaft screw tightening. Empty Re: shifter shaft screw tightening. Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:47 am

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
Would have to agree with Rick on this one. Much cheaper to grease the splines on everything while you have it apart.

The alternative is far to expensive.

Don't give in to the Black Dog!
"A Zorst, a zorst my kingdom for a Zorst"

shifter shaft screw tightening. 170874

7Back to top Go down   shifter shaft screw tightening. Empty Re: shifter shaft screw tightening. Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:52 am

scout18

scout18
After I get that tranny back in I'll take that business apart to lube it up. I got the screw cleaned up loctited in and the cover put on without any real drama.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum