BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Evenin' all, as Dixon of Dock Green used to say.

In keeping with the plod motif, I'm wondering if I could solicit the combined wisdom of the board for advice concerning the subject of this post.

I'm after a battery which will deliver the required grunt to power what is basically a standard K100RT fitted with strobe police lights, sirens and a 30W UHF radio.

I'd like the battery to look as close to the stock item which would have been fitted upon delivery to the Victoria Police back in 1986, without the exorbitant price tag associated with BMW batteries.

I'm looking at this battery on eBay and would sincerely appreciate your feedback about it, or any other suitable candidates matching my selection criteria.

Cheers, Alex.

nino

Life time member
Life time member
Hello, I found that Exide 30 Ah is only producer with 2 years warranty for bike battery.

Regards

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
G'day Alex , I can vouch for AGM batteries , I'm running an ODYSSEY PC680 in my bike , great battery for all the reasons they put in the Ebay auction , the only thing I'd be worried about is postage from the US , my experience with other items that I have sort over the years is that it's very costly , the other is around sending acid through the mail system , not sure how you will go with that , a locally available battery which is also an AGM is MOTOBATT , or you could get the ODYSSEY which is also available locally .

JR

Melbourne Australia

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
I've been reading on e-batteries on DoTheTon and many members recommend lithium ion batteries by Shorai.. Check out their web site to see if there is a product that will fit your application. The advantage for your application is that the battery you are seeking is for powering accessories and not for powering the bike's ignition. You can use a physically smaller battery without detriment. There is an Australian distributor for Shorai which might offset the shipping cost for an AGM battery from the States.

An alternative would be to construct your own battery from several A123 single cell Lifepo4 batteries soldered together and house them in a vintage battery case. This will give you modern technology in a classic looking package.

daveb

daveb
Hi Alex
I have a K100RT ex police bike I bought a motobatt battery 30amp off e-bay really happy with The only fault is the height, because I have a lowered seat there is not a great deal of room. Just check this before you buy, I have had to adapt the height of the coolant overflow tank and extend the battery bolts by 10mm
good luck
Dave

6Back to top Go down   Best battery choice for a 1986 BMW K100TIC (RT with Official Vehicle extras)  Empty Best battery Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:29 pm

otto59

Silver member
Silver member
I'm using a Panasonic AGM battery that's actually meant for a Seadoo or other PWCs. 28 amps and was $100 two years ago. Previous one lasted 8 seasons.

7Back to top Go down   Best battery choice for a 1986 BMW K100TIC (RT with Official Vehicle extras)  Empty Best battery Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:45 pm

otto59

Silver member
Silver member
Just checked the Digikey website and it's now $133. Battery I'm using is the LC-X1228P. I believe it's taller than the stock battery as my bike came with an extra set of battery clamp hold down rods that are too short.

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Bottom line is you would want to put the biggest battery in Ah that you can get in. I would not recommend any of the exotic battery types because they frequently have a low Ah rating. With lots of accessories you need enough capacity to power them at low revs, especially if you are doing shows and/or parades where revs are low and consequently alternator output is low.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum