BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

...or how to have a ridiculous afternoon.
It was 20C in Guyra today...like summer after so much winter weather. I had a few errands to run and decided to drag the outfit out of the shed and strap the dog in. We had a bit of a wander about and then I decided to make use of the warm engine and change the gearbox and final drive oil. Did the gearbox oil and then while putting the drain plug back in the final drive casing, I felt the thread let go. Not all the way tight...and it really started spinning freely...not engaging any thread. I knew immediately it was going to be a problem...and I also knew it was my own silly fault, as I had sensed it was a dodgy thread last time I had changed the fluid. I tried a couple of tricks to no avail and then decided to take it around to my mate Dave's place, as he is more adept at things mechanical than me and also has a proper shed. In the end we had to tack weld a piece of metal onto the plug to get enough on it to engage the thread and finally get it out.

Stripped drain plug in final drive case.  Sam_0511

Of course, the plug is steel and the casing itself is alloy, so naturally, it's the casing thread that is kaputt. It will require tapping etc and another plug. Oh well, said I to myself...this will give me the opportunity to try that other final drive that I got off Rick. It's from a 75 and will lower the gearing. Be interesting to see how it goes, power wise etc.

Stripped drain plug in final drive case.  Sam_0512

All went well until I went to insert the new drive into the shaft.....and yes.....you guessed it...it has too many teeth! I hadn't even thought to look at it beforehand. Stripped drain plug in final drive case.  61740

Oh well.....I have two more spares...one of which feels ok, though I haven't actually pulled it apart to check the bearings....will whack that on to keep the bike roadworthy while I fix the other one. By the time I had that done, it was dark and I have no power in the shed, so will have to wait until morning to put the rear wheel back on. Installing the 15" rim is a cow of a job...the weight of it combined with the recessed fit with the adaptor makes it stupidly difficult with that spacer! Morning.
Ah well...yer get that.
Anyone need a final drive? Will swap it for something or other.....
Sean.

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Blimey sean you certainly have your hands full mate, every days a school day I double check every thing these days [its the age] best of luck on the rebuild.

Don

BIG D

Ah well...it's not a big deal really as I have some spares. Sadly though, I was going to ride to Brisvegas in the morning, but will have to postpone the trip. As I write this, it's pouring outside and there's thunder etc...so maybe I would have got a wet ar*e anyway!
Note to self, don't forget to do up the rear mudguard again....

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
saw a bit of a flash down that way and figured you would be getting a bit wet.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

The sun is back this morning. No ride to Brissie today, but I'll have to take it for a test ride when I put it back together, won't I?

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
bit of bad luck there seani .

sounds like a helicoil fix is the go ...

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
There are quite a few options but i would just tap it out to next size and use an aftermarket drain plug.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

I'll do just that. Tap it out and go up a size.

Well, 'new' final drive installed and test ridden. Smooth as a rat with a gold tooth.
Took it around my local test road and then changed the oil again.

Stripped drain plug in final drive case.  Sam_0513

Sean.

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Nice one Sean, gives you chance to play with the original one at leasure.

BIG D

So....decided to go for a Sunday ride to enjoy my mechanical success. Thought I might do a lap from Guyra to Walcha, then across to Bendemeer and then wander back to Guyra in time for lunch and a cup of tea. Weather was quite a bit colder than I'd expected and by the time I got to Walcha I decided a coffee might be in order. I got a seat next to the window where I could look out at the bike and made a call to a mate of mine in Sydney who has just been diagnosed with the Spanish Dancer. In the spine. He's a fellow BMW rider, though a 1200 GS and we've been mates since I was about 20. A quick chat assured me he is in good spirits and I promised to get down to RPA and annoy him sometime over the next week or so.

Stripped drain plug in final drive case.  Sam_0515

I strolled back outside, zipping up my leather jacket and vaguely wishing I'd worn proper pants instead of jeans, and oops....saw a large and getting larger puddle of gearbox oil growing around the rear wheel. I'd had no warning of this...bike was running smoothly and not making any noises and I'd been sitting on my usual 110 kph, with one or two bursts up to 130 when overtaking. I walked the few metres to the garage there and bought some 90 wt oil and a funnel. Actually, that's not true...I bought FIVE funnels in a plastic bag because I wasn't allowed to buy just one. Did the usual...made sure the drain plug was actually done up...then undid the filler hole, ( I carry a bag of tools in the sidecar) and re-filled the casing. Surprisingly, it overflowed quite soon, indicating it wasn't actually empty. Oh well....I limped home pitifully, stopping every few clicks to check the oil level with a stick and cursing at the idiots in cars sitting 3 feet from my arse all the way. Made it home...still no noises coming from the casing and running smoothly. I can only imagine that the large diameter seal/o-ring has partially died and will need replacing. It looked ok when I looked at it before installation. Oh well...I know what I'll be doing this week.

Stripped drain plug in final drive case.  Sam_0516

Sean.

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Jeez Sean, It never rains it pours hope you get her sorted soon, sorry to hear about your mate I take it he was the guy on the GS in one of your recent pics

BIG D.

Halo

Halo
Life time member
Life time member
Boy Sean bad luck mate, interesting as i am about to replace my large final drive seal tonight. I am going to try replacement without removing the bearing just scared about the damage i my do removing the seal

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Revove the 8 socket head bolts and the back section comes off in your hand. remove the seal clean and put the new seal back in. Place the big O ring in place, put the back section on and torque the 8 bolts till your elbow clicks. It's an easy job.
You "may" have to heat it to 100deg C

Big D, yes that was him. He's a cantankerous old bugga but he's a mate. I'll need to go and visit him in Sydney and would MUCH rather ride down...an incentive to get the bike sorted!

Halo, it's not a difficult job with the bearing. The big ass bearing will be no problem. All you need to do is keep everything squeaky clean and make sure the spacer is in good nick. Am sure there'll be photos of the job somewhere in amongst all the threads here?

Sean.

So.....this is the most embarrassing thing I've had to admit since ...well..the last utterly idiotic thing I did.

I didn't tighten up the 8 bolts on the FD before I installed it the other day.

That's right...the reason I'm here is to make the rest of you look good.

Sean.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
happens seanii

good luck with the fix

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

charlie99 wrote:happens seanii

good luck with the fix

Could have been a lot worse..... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
You should always have tight bolts and.....tight nuts.

Gird one's mechanical loins, so to speak....

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Australians have been girding for some time. I think it should become an Olympic sport.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum