BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

roys

Silver member
Silver member
hi,
I have had serious oil leak and the suspect is seal between eng and clutch.

As this is a good opportunity to replace clutch friction plate I got one from motobins (as well as seals).
Today I removed clutch and found out that entire assembly is fouled with eng oil - I am surprised I felt no more than a slight hesitation when accelerating.

"anyways" after cleaning existing friction plate with petrol (it now feels very dry to touch) I measured and it is exactly 5mm (practically new) whereby as per Haynes standard width is 5.05-5.55mm and allowed min is 4.50mm.

So my question is should I keep the original friction plate in bike?

This can be broken down to more exact questions:

1) Can friction plate be “trusted” after being fouled with oil and cleaned? I remember somewhere a saying that it cannot but wonder what joined wisdom of group says?

2) How many Km are left in my original clutch assuming I am a pretty reasonable driver? I do no more than 6000KM a year on bike.

Thank you,
Roy

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Roy,
I think you almost supplied the answer, as you bought a replacement and the bike is apart I personally would put the new clutch in as you know that clutch is perfect.

To clean clutch or brake material when it has been subject to oil fouling really needs a number of immersions in a solvent vapour cleaning bath to really strip the oil out with the part heating up to the point where no more solvent condenses and then pulling it out, allowing it to cool and putting it back in for more treatment, that way the oil in the pores of the friction material gets leached out.
Regards,
K-BIKE

3Back to top Go down   should I replace this clutch friction plate? Empty replace or not to replace Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:54 pm

roys

Silver member
Silver member
hi k-bike,

I understand your point yet wonder for how many Km is a clutch good on these bikes, assuming a reasnable driver?

I would be surprised if less then 100,000 km and if so then seeing I only do 5K-6K a year then replacing is the way to go.

Thank you
Roy

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum