BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Which Eastern beaver headlight kit Empty Which Eastern beaver headlight kit Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:33 am

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Guys,

Well today I said goodbye to my namesake MT350 - a sad day but at least I now have some funds to fully fettle the 'K' which is where my heart lies.

Finally getting around to ordering one of these Eastern beaver relay kits. Which one though? Should I go for direct battery connection or is it straightforward to route wires from the fusebox? I imagine if wires run from the battery it will be on all the time the iginition is on? Not sure I understand the pros and cons here - if any.

Thanks for any clarity
Dave

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
The earth should be routed to the Main Earthing point on the bike especially if you have upgraded the main earth for the bike....

It's easy enough to connect the live wire to the battery + terminal itself with an inline fuse.

There is voltage/current available at all time to the Relay this way. However it won't be allowed to power the bulb until you turn the switch for the lights on.

Think of the relay as a high power switch that is a slave from the handlebar switch so you turn on the handlebar switch and that then turns the relays on. This then allows a full 12V or whatever your battery is kicking out with as much current as your bulbs want. This over comes the problem of the handle bar switch having to pass all the current as it is only a small amount needed for turning the relay on.

Does that make sense?

Which Eastern beaver headlight kit 169042Which Eastern beaver headlight kit 169034

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hi dave ...

normally you can pick off the input cable to the starter relay .

that is a crimp type eye terminal that suits the bolt - cable being used

what we did on caferacers headlight mod was to put an inline fuse .( projected through the electrics box ....just behind the fuse block to enable quick access ) which then went to the input side of the relays .

untill the relays are told to turn on there is no current flow through this cable at all .

i hope i got a picture somewhere which might explain it a bit better

Which Eastern beaver headlight kit Trips_10

yes you do have to make sure that you have a good return cable as well ....but i think the eastern beaver kits have though of this already

good luck !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks TC, Charlie

I think I overcomplicated it - now I understand just enough.

Appreciate it Guys Very Happy

Cheers
Dave

andyb

andyb
Silver member
Silver member
Hi MT.
I installed the Beaver kit that enables low beam to stay on also when hi beam is selected, with the optional ceramic headlight connector plug. Comes with an inline fuse, just wire up to the battery, plug the original headlight connector in and plug the ceramic connector to your headlight. Dead simple to install, and the extra light output is fantastic. I run an 80/100w H4 which it handles no worries. Well worth it.
cheers

'88 K100 RT
Chassis number: 0097248 ; Vehicle code: 0504; Series: K589
Model: K100RT 84 (0504 (0505) Body Type: K100RT 84 (0504)
Catalog Model: ECE; Engine: (0504); Production: 1988/9
Which Eastern beaver headlight kit 13763011

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Andy

Thanks, sounds good mate. Yeah I wasn't sure if having main and dipped on would be OK with MoT (same as Aussie Rego?) testers here so went for the dipped beam only but with ceramic connector so I can comnfortably use a more powerful bulb.

What was a bit of a shame is that EB do a kit with an extra wire for driving lights but not with the ceramic connector and not with fairing length wires - so it's really only good for cruisers. I emailed and asked EB but they only offer the options on their website. Shame as I wanted a brighter dipped beam plus some conspicuity lights (LEDs or driving lights) up front. So I'll neeed to find another way to wire these in.

Cheers
Dave

andyb

andyb
Silver member
Silver member
Hi MT , i used an off the shelf spotlight wiring kit with fuse and switch, same sort of write in to the battery set up, and ran the trigger wire to the parking light globe connector, that way they can be on with park, and mounted the switch on the dash panel Blanks. Cheers.

'88 K100 RT
Chassis number: 0097248 ; Vehicle code: 0504; Series: K589
Model: K100RT 84 (0504 (0505) Body Type: K100RT 84 (0504)
Catalog Model: ECE; Engine: (0504); Production: 1988/9
Which Eastern beaver headlight kit 13763011

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
If you want a cleaner installation, than using the inline fuse provided in the EB kit,
you can connect to the red/gray wire at the round white connector for OEM alarm
system which you find in the relay box.

Then the circuit is protected by fuse #4.

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Andy, sounds easy enough.
Thanks Inge, I'll take a look at that when the kit arrives
Cheers
Dave

10Back to top Go down   Which Eastern beaver headlight kit Empty Re: Which Eastern beaver headlight kit Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:43 pm

ali2908

ali2908
Silver member
Silver member
Dave I have some LED strips left from when I replaced my side light if you want you can have some. I am going to Aboyne tomorrow morning to see about my respray.

Ali
1985 K100RS
2002 K1200 RS

11Back to top Go down   Which Eastern beaver headlight kit Empty Re: Which Eastern beaver headlight kit Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:51 am

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Ali
Thanks for the offer mate, I'll give you a shout when I'm ready to go.
Let me know how you get on in Aboyne - I'm working today - shame we could have met up.
Cheers
Dave

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum