BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Rendrag

Rendrag
Silver member
Silver member
So, gearbox is finally back together, would have been a simple job if I hadn't swapped the shells for the input shaft bearings over. Took her for a test ride, and holy stuff, it's beautiful! No gearbox noise, it snicks into gear with almost no gear lever movement, it's just perfect!

Except, when I got home, I had oil all over the swingarm and tyre!

Getting under the bike, it looks like it's coming out the boot that the clutch actuator goes into? when assembling it, I notice that there was a seal in the end of the input shaft, so oil couldn't go up the shaft towards the clutch.. But I couldn't for the life of me see what stopped the oil coming out the back.. Is it expected that the friction fit for that big cylinder of aluminium (the parts diagram calls it a piston) will stop the oil? Or did I miss something important there somewhere???

Dammit, so wanted to ride to work tomorrow!!

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The boot is what stops the oil coming out. If the actuating arm isn't adjusted correctly then the boot leaks around the adjusting bolt. Or needless to say if the boot has not gone on straight and its leaking there.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Rendrag

Rendrag
Silver member
Silver member
Rick G wrote:The boot is what stops the oil coming out. If the actuating arm isn't adjusted correctly then the boot leaks around the adjusting bolt. Or needless to say if the boot has not gone on straight and its leaking there.

Thanks Rick, yeah I realised that after some searching.. Will replace the boot just to be sure (it's been taken off and put back on four occasions now..), but i discovered that all that oil came out of my 'new' shock, not the gearbox! Was sitting there looking at the bike in dismay, then went 'hang on a minute, why is the oil BLACK?? It's only done 5km! Swapped the koni for my normal shock, degreased the bike, and went for another ride, and it's all perfect Smile

Tell ya what, I should have rebuilt the gearbox earlier - it's so quiet, and gear changes take so little movement!!

Though I might keep an eye out for a new selector drum - it's still very notchy between first and second, where all the damage on the drum is!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum