BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   oil consumption Empty oil consumption Sun 11 Oct 2009, 04:19

roys

Silver member
Silver member
hi,

I just returned from a 2 day 800km ride (longest on this bike) to the galilee and Golan hights thru the jordan valley.

Ride was great - I kept saying this is what motorcycles were invented for. weather was cool with some clouds and even some little rain which is a relief as the white blue sun no longer burns your brain. many MANY twisting roads. Some extremely so like spending 20 minutes switching between 2nd and 3rd (even dropping to 1st) gear up some rediculousely steep and twisty road. this was well balanced by open sweeps and empty roads.

Bike performed beutifully - the old mule has all the power I needed WHEN I needed it - so my confidence in it is growing.

I have 2 issues I want to ask the combined wisdome of the forum:

1) Bike is consuming about 500cc of oil (liquimoly 20X50) per 1000 KM. Should I do anything about it, i mean bike is riding fine and pulling strongly?
2) the "chock" cable is too long and i have already used up all the slack in the adjusting screw. only the last half of the 2nd step actualy increases RPM. now this is a must in my bike as eng will rev down and stop till it has worked for about 10-15 minutes when i can turn "choke" off.
HOW can i shorten this cable so 1st stop will already pull up the RPM?

thank you,
Roy

2Back to top Go down   oil consumption Empty Re: oil consumption Sun 11 Oct 2009, 05:27

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Roy, in your climate I would think you barely need the "choke" at all. I had a similar issue until I found that the butterfly valves did not close completely, but were against the stop of the TPS. I guess the PO adjusted it without removing the TPS. I went back to basics, started adjustment from the beginning and suddenly could readjust it without problem. Maybe an idea? Otherwise see if you can compare the length with a new one, if different fit the new one.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland oil consumption Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

3Back to top Go down   oil consumption Empty Re: oil consumption Sun 11 Oct 2009, 06:00

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Rene,

You just gave me the answer to my problem!

A week ago, I was trying to adjust the idle, but the butterfly would not close and I cannot idle under 1000rpm. I wanted the bike to idle at 850rpm. I never thought of readjusting the TPS switch. I will check it.

Oil consumption.
On the K100, I never have to top up the oil between 2 oil changes (5 to 6K).
The K75 (350k) is taking about 1/4 of a liter between 2 oil changes.

4Back to top Go down   oil consumption Empty Re: oil consumption Sun 11 Oct 2009, 08:34

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Ha Bert, by sharing our misfortunes (or at times just being stupid; yes, me too oil consumption Icon_biggrin ) we al learn and get smarter.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland oil consumption Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

5Back to top Go down   oil consumption Empty Re: oil consumption Tue 13 Oct 2009, 17:17

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
As per Haynes (?) max allowed oil comsumption will be 0.0015lts/km. You are around 0.0005 (33%). As my own, check the engine output shaft seal (mine is leaking) and your gas comsumption (16-17 km/lt @ 120-160 km/h).
Best regards
JAP

6Back to top Go down   oil consumption Empty Re: oil consumption Tue 13 Oct 2009, 22:12

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
What are your compression figures like. Also I would suggest using some high detergent diesel oil like Mobil Delvac for 3 or 4 changes to clean up the rings also riding at high speed to free up the rings.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum