BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Help me out, folks Empty Help me out, folks Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:47 pm

JGT

JGT
Platinum member
Platinum member
Newly acquired K75 on the road this week end. Ran faultlessly getting on for 200 miles, lovely smooth bike, including regular stops and starts with no problems but... arriving home yesterday evening parked up to open garage door, pressed the starter button, all the lights went out and silence. Left the bike until this evening. Tried again, same fault. removed tank to examine relay box, all very clean with no corrosion. Ignition on, kill switch on, press button all lights go out and will not come on again until I turn the ignition switch off then on. Turn ignition on yet again and whilst I stand there looking at it, the starter relay chatters a number of times for no reason, press the starter button and the engine cranks over. Ignition off then on press the button and engine cranks. Have I a faulty starter relay or is it a bad connection somewhere? Any suggestions on what to do, welcome. John

2Back to top Go down   Help me out, folks Empty Re: Help me out, folks Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:59 pm

DeRodster

DeRodster
Life time member
Life time member
Hi John,
 I'm not too familiar with the K75, but sounds like a bad connection or something is drawing down the battery.
Did you check and clean the earth connection on the casing. I know on my K11 it was corroded and needed a clean.
I'm sure you will get a more comprehensive reply in due course.
great knowledge and help here.

All the best
Rod

1974 Triumph 3TA / 5TA
1974 Honda 100
1969 Honda 50

3Back to top Go down   Help me out, folks Empty Re: Help me out, folks Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:05 pm

JGT

JGT
Platinum member
Platinum member
Yes, good clean earth connection, also forgot to mention that horn and lights work as normal. John

4Back to top Go down   Help me out, folks Empty Re: Help me out, folks Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:56 pm

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
Possibly: Dirty sprag clutch. The voltage shedding relay for the starter is sticking owing to the dirty sprag clutch.

Put the bike in gear, rock it backwards and forwards with the clutch engaged. It may start after a few goes. If it does:

Drain a litre or two from the engine oil and add ATF fluid with a high detergent content. Bump start and run the bike with ATF fluid in the sump for a few hundred miles. Once it re-starts consistently, change the engine oil.

5Back to top Go down   Help me out, folks Empty Re: Help me out, folks Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:17 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
As horn and light function as normal I would rather suspect the kill switch (or its connector, under the tank).

You could try turn it a few times left and right from center, and see if it makes any difference.
If it helps, next step would be to a little tlc to the switch itself...have a look at this.

6Back to top Go down   Help me out, folks Empty Re: Help me out, folks Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:47 am

JGT

JGT
Platinum member
Platinum member
Thanks for that, will try all the electrical connections first. That's an interesting and clear thread Inge k. very useful. John

7Back to top Go down   Help me out, folks Empty Re: Help me out, folks Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:43 am

bushyintas

bushyintas
Silver member
Silver member
possibly starter motor brushes, they act as an earth for all electrics through the load shed relay when the starter is not used, mine were worn badly, once replaced all electrics seemed stronger

Regards Bushy.

8Back to top Go down   Help me out, folks Empty Re: Help me out, folks Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:19 pm

JGT

JGT
Platinum member
Platinum member
Set too this evening to clean the many multi pin connectors under the tank, didn't bother to trace wire colours, did every one I could see, found a number of 'green' pins so all given a clean and spray with silicon water repellent spray. Likewise both handlebar switch clusters which were very dry and responded well to the silicon spray. There is also an earth point under the tank with something like six tags, again all cleaned. Every thing back together and it started on the button. As has been said on the numerous threads on this forum, many electrical problems are due to corroded connections. Lets hope that's the problem solved as it will be taking me to work tomorrow. This winter I will remove starter etc. as suggested as potential problems and give them a good clean and service. It has done 86,000 miles so I guess it needs a little TLC. John

9Back to top Go down   Help me out, folks Empty Re: Help me out, folks Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:38 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
egads john ...silicon spray ???..... silicon is a great insulator

hope it dries off leaving metal to metal contact ......
hope you saw at least one time ....deoxit

don't know what to do about the silicon spray though ,,,it gets into everything

perhaps a brass bristle brush and lots of elbow grease

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

10Back to top Go down   Help me out, folks Empty Re: Help me out, folks Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:41 am

JGT

JGT
Platinum member
Platinum member
OH DEAR!! I have used this for years with no problems. I never knew it was an insulator. Well, will run the bike to work today and see what happens. You've taken the smile from my face. John

11Back to top Go down   Help me out, folks Empty Re: Help me out, folks Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:55 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
sorry for that john

cheers !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

12Back to top Go down   Help me out, folks Empty Re: Help me out, folks Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:58 pm

JGT

JGT
Platinum member
Platinum member
36 mile round trip to work and didn't miss a beat.
Now let me tell you a story. In 1970 I was running a Humber Super Snipe which had a very stiff interior light switch. Rummaging around in my fathers garage I found a tin of the said spray. Suitably treated, the switch was fine with no electrical problems. Over the next 43 years I have used this substance on many British bikes to free sticky switches, water proof electrics etc.and even in the home on mains (240v) equipment. Its never been a problem, always a cure. My K75 seems to have responded well to the treatment. Ah, ignorance is bliss!
As for the K75, am totally sold on it and such a smoooooth engine. John

13Back to top Go down   Help me out, folks Empty INSULATOR Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:35 pm

ARTCOLLINSJR

ARTCOLLINSJR
Silver member
Silver member
I do not know the hows or whys, but dielectric grease used on bulb sockets and such is an insulator also. this is why I am afraid to smear it on my bulbs.

14Back to top Go down   Help me out, folks Empty Re: Help me out, folks Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:06 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have never been a big fan of using dielectric grease on anything but although it is an insulator if there is sufficient pressure and the normal bulb holder will exert that pressure the grease will be displaced and a connection made. The grease then will or should create a barrier to the corrosive elements that abound.
So clean the connection and put it together then apply the grease but if that is impractical put the grease on in a small amount and put the connector back together, but cleaning the connector is the important part regardless of what you use to prevent futher corrosion.
With the marine enviroment, which is about as harsh as it gets, we used to remove the covers from the outboard engines and wash them with fresh water then liberaly spray CRC all over them to displace the residual water and protect the paint and electricals. We didn't need to care how greasy and tary it got because it was under the cover but it was really good protection.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

15Back to top Go down   Help me out, folks Empty Humber? Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:56 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Hey virg I have a 1963 Snipe series 4 bought it in ' 82 which means I'm the longest owner, of 3. 1st 

was Stan McDougal Victoria Cross, died '68 or '69, poor bastard only got to put 12,000mls on her.

Super Snipe side thread?

16Back to top Go down   Help me out, folks Empty Re: Help me out, folks Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:08 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Ghost who rides wrote:Hey virg I have a 1963 Snipe series 4 bought it in ' 82 which means I'm the longest owner, of 3. 1st 

was Stan McDougal Victoria Cross, died '68 or '69, poor bastard only got to put 12,000mls on her.

Super Snipe side thread?
I am seriously getting worried here. When I got my K my brother referred to it as 'a pipe and slippers bike', 'a granddad's bike' and similar.

But the Humber Super Snipe takes us to a new level. They are definitely a pipe and slippers job.

Most of us are too young to remember the Humber Super Snipe. Sure I remember them because a neighbour had one when I was a kid. Yes, a darn nice motor too. So, a new section?

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 49,200 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 63,390 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

17Back to top Go down   Help me out, folks Empty Re: Help me out, folks Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:48 pm

JGT

JGT
Platinum member
Platinum member
It was a 1960 Series 2 Snipe. As my parents family car was a Mark 5 Hawk of 1954 vintage, the Snipe was the obvious choice. Happy days. John

18Back to top Go down   Help me out, folks Empty Re: Help me out, folks Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:18 pm

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Both of my sons came home from hospital in the Humber, day three and day two respectively.

Who do I leave it to in my will?

19Back to top Go down   Help me out, folks Empty Re: Help me out, folks Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:08 pm

JGT

JGT
Platinum member
Platinum member
You will have to buy another one, I believe Humbers were quite popular in Aus. Whilst on holiday in Victoria (Mortlake) about six years ago I was surprised to see a Mark 5 Hawk in very good condition but I guess it would be as you don't have the winter salt that we have in the UK. John

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum