BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   What is this threaded hole for Empty What is this threaded hole for Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:58 am

ARTCOLLINSJR

ARTCOLLINSJR
Silver member
Silver member
What is this threaded hole for Mdxn
Should there be a fastener in this hole? I get fuel weep on the tank when I put it on the side stand after (over)filling it.

2Back to top Go down   What is this threaded hole for Empty Re: What is this threaded hole for Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:41 am

zonenfeile

zonenfeile
Gold member
Gold member
usually the water drain

dismount the tank, remove the complete unit and check/clean all tubes

Last edited by zonenfeile on Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total

K- Wiki - or rtfm first

Regards from Hamburg

Olaf

3Back to top Go down   What is this threaded hole for Empty Re: What is this threaded hole for Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:42 am

I think it is to let rain water out when the bike is outside. If you overfill then the fuel will come out somewhere, don't forget that petrol expands when it warms up.

4Back to top Go down   What is this threaded hole for Empty Re: What is this threaded hole for Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:48 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
It is to show you if you have the cap on backwards.
If you can see the hole, all good.
Now everyone go out and see who can't see the hole.
I bet there are a few.

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

5Back to top Go down   What is this threaded hole for Empty Re: What is this threaded hole for Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:04 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
That part of the cap sits just below the surface of the tank and is prone to getting water colecting there. The hole goes into a aluminium tube and through the tank to the base and exits where the 2 tubes come out on the right side under the tank the other tube is the breather. If you have fuel comming out the cap the breather may be blocked or the seal around the cap is weeping which is the more likely thing.
Undo the 4 screws and the cap assy lifts out to inspect the seal etc.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

6Back to top Go down   What is this threaded hole for Empty Re: What is this threaded hole for Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:00 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
When I got my K which was secondhand the dealer had replaced the fuel filter and it was on the wrong way round and the hole was blocked.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum