BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

rexst

rexst
Please help 

I just thought of this, please tell me if this is a good way to do this or not

If the K100 members would be so kind in helping me, I want to start restoring/fixing the bike and as a newbie/novice I don't have all the knowledge to do this on my own

my idea, and from the help of the members is to start at a point and work my way from a back to front or top to bottom /whatever the right way is. (but to have a certain order)
 is to check/fix/replace/restore/ the specific part /item - I will take whatever picture requested that members of the Forum can decide/help/give me advice what needed to be done.....  (I hope this is a good idea) 
(buying of ebay will most probably be a problem for me - don't have a credit card, and have no idea how ebay works ) here is SA is engineers, bike shops, and also part stores, this wont be a 2 week project, it will take time, obviously money (as i dont have won the lottery yet, saving every month as I can) and patience - yes I know this

obviously 1st without stripping the whole bike (go around the bike take pictures) 
then as time progress to start going into more depth on more specific items (better detailed pics)

I have no idea where to start, or what to look at, however I do have mechanical skills, and I tend to fix more stuff than I breaking them Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  Icon_rendeer 

generally if I get stuck , I think outside the box, and find ideas/ think of a way to fix the problem

please feel free to encourage/discourage/give advice/rate my skills/request pics/show me alternaitaves

please start a list (please feel free to copy and edit the list) of things I need to do, take pictures/ video's,

i started  2 weeks back with the k100,

1st problem i ran into was the fuel pump was stuffed, (the rubber went to goo)
replaced with a universal pump, with fuel hose as the rubber damper, and some cable ties

Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  20130819

Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  20130820

Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  20130821

Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  20130822

Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  20130823

Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  20130824

Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  20130826

Last edited by rexst on Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:34 am; edited 3 times in total

rexst

rexst
timing cover is cracked and also between the block and sump, just above the engine number there is a oil leak

3Back to top Go down   Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  Empty ...now the hard part Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:50 am

rexst

rexst
i filled her up with fuel and oil, had some trouble but now she purrrrrs

now i need source a timing cover, and some gaskets , please advice or help or donate Sad 
as its not the most popular bike here in sa

rexst

rexst
You Have Selected: 06/1983 K589 K 100 83 (0501,0511) Europe 

Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  20130827

does this mean i have a very very old one :pale:

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I would say yes to that it is the earliest number I have seen and was made before they were released for the general market.

Last edited by RicK G on Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ytop)

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
rexst wrote:i filled her up with fuel and oil, had some trouble but now she purrrrrs

now i need source a timing cover, and some gaskets , please advice or help or donate Sad 
as its not the most popular bike here in sa
Timing covers come up on ebay from time to time. They're not in huge demand so go fairly cheaply. I once bought one for £3 on ebay. If I see another going cheap I'll let you know and if necessary I'll buy it and post it out to you.

Three-Bond (Drei-Bond) sealant is used as opposed to gaskets.

As your bike is such an early example, I'd be tempted to get it back to as original as possible.

Brad-Man

Brad-Man
Life time member
Life time member
Looks like it has the later battery covers, seat and rear cowl on it - looks good!

the.postman

Life time member
Life time member
And a novel exhaust mod

1985 K100 RS   104EA49840092        #0081788     SILVERish (Madison) Prod. date 05/12/84
1984 srx 600
1986 cbr1000f/h

9Back to top Go down   Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  Empty .... Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:48 am

rexst

rexst
Brad-Man wrote:Looks like it has the later battery covers, seat and rear cowl on it - looks good!
, I have no idea

can you guys please post pics what it should have looked like, as im no expert , I really would like to restore it 100% , I really appreciate your guys opinions, advice and guidence

rexst

rexst
the.postman wrote:And a novel exhaust mod
hi post man, what is a novel exhaust mod, must I take it off and chuck it away, replace it?
how do I make this back original?

11Back to top Go down   Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  Empty Some help please Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:39 am

rexst

rexst
edited moved right to the top (think it makes more sence)

Last edited by rexst on Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:48 am; edited 1 time in total

the.postman

Life time member
Life time member
Your system
Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  Exhaus10

As far as I am aware all others are like this
Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  Exhaus11

Looks like the end piece has been removed

1985 K100 RS   104EA49840092        #0081788     SILVERish (Madison) Prod. date 05/12/84
1984 srx 600
1986 cbr1000f/h

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
rexst wrote:can you guys please post pics what it should have looked like, as im no expert , I really would like to restore it 100% , I really appreciate your guys opinions, advice and guidence
If originality is your goal, you have some work ahead.

The front wheel is wrong, so too are the mirrors and front indicators. If the bike was a naked 'C' model (which I would expect given how early the VIN suggests), the handlebars need to be changed back to 'C' version.

As pointed out, the seat and tail unit are from a later bike and the silencer has been cut.

Then there's the colour of the wheels, they should be plain silver.

What you need to work out is whether it's worth it financially set against the desire to own a very early bike in as near original spec as possible.

rexst

rexst
MikeP wrote:
rexst wrote:can you guys please post pics what it should have looked like, as im no expert , I really would like to restore it 100% , I really appreciate your guys opinions, advice and guidence
If originality is your goal, you have some work ahead.

The front wheel is wrong, so too are the mirrors and front indicators. If the bike was a naked 'C' model (which I would expect given how early the VIN suggests), the handlebars need to be changed back to 'C' version.

As pointed out, the seat and tail unit are from a later bike and the silencer has been cut.

Then there's the colour of the wheels, they should be plain silver.

What you need to work out is whether it's worth it financially set against the desire to own a very early bike in as near original spec as possible.
ok maybe I haven't thought it trough as you mentioned it can become an expensive exercise  Sad 
time is also an issue, we all have our day jobs, so weekends will be the time and place i will be working on the bike
I think that the main goal it to take what I have, and 1st repair/fix/replace/ask/beg/steal what is broken/   what needs to be looked at and fix that :-c: , get it mechanically sound Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  259495 , and get it presentable (make it pretty) again Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  292303 

maybe the above is a better way to start off? please don't discourage me too much, i understand that i need to hear this as well, but at the end of the day , i think if i do a little each time with your /k100 members help, i will find success at the end of the day and will start seeing progress.?

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I think that is the right way to approach the job and over the next year or so gather up the needed parts and maybe get it back to original.
BTW if you want a cam chain cover I can give you one but postage is up to you to pay.
PM me any details and we can organize things.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
This is a side on of an RT but side covers and rear tail section and seat give you an idea of the seat etc that is right for your bike.
Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  Early_10

rexst

rexst
RicK G wrote:I think that is the right way to approach the job and over the next year or so gather up the needed parts and maybe get it back to original.
BTW if you want a cam chain cover I can give you one but postage is up to you to pay.
PM me any details and we can organize things.
Hi Rick

thank you this is a very generous offer

I would love to have this part, how ever if it is the correct part (im not to sure if there is different models), I wouldn't want to take it if it does not fit my k100, do you want me to mail you pics/engine number?

I'm also not sure what the shipping to south Africa will cost, can you please find out for me? then we can take it from there

thank you once again for your generous offer

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Hi rexst,
Here's a picture from the September '83 issue of Motorrad.

Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  Sam_0513

Good luck with your new K,
Paul.

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Click here to download the 1983 BMW advertisement brochure.

All kind of pictures (naked, rt, rs)

CF

Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  Frog15Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  Logo2101986 k75, 1985 K100rt, 1985 K100rt/EML GT2 sidecar, 1999 K1200lt/Hannigan Astro Sport sidecar.

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
I never noticed before, that the lower section of the tail unit was colour coded on the early 'C' models.

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Good spot, Mike, I'd never noticed either!

Paul.

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Hi rexst,

Having refurbished/restored a couple of K bikes, and several other motorcycles, I always weigh the cost vs resale.  Here's the thing:  You would put a lot of money into a full resto back to original, especially since parts are difficult for you to source.  At the end of the day, when it comes to selling the bike, a prospective buyer won't pay you much more for a fully restored bike than a nicely tidied up slightly modified machine. 

I would agree with your plan to get it running and not leaking, and pick away at the bad bits as time and money permits.  Frankly I like the newer tail, battery covers and seat better than the originals.  Reseal the cracked timing chain cover.  Remove those awesome Rolling Eyes  decals from the tank and covers, and try some paint stripper sparingly on the wheels to remove the red paint (do you have Q-Tips in SA?), and polish the stainless muffler.  This will cost you almost nothing, and will improve the cosmetic appearance a lot. You still move the project ahead without wasting any money or making non reversible mods.  (I suspect what you really want to do is RIDE?)

+1 on Tri-Bond...

After fixing the oil leaks, the next thing I would spend money on would be correct handlebars and then start looking for a correct front wheel.  That one looks a lot like an R series.  I would suspect you should be able to sell that for the same amount you pay for a K wheel, so that could be cost neutral. 

There are a couple of SA K100 owners on this site, they may be able to help you access your parts. 

If you are going to have to order parts from somewhere, you may want to set up a Paypal account to pay for items.  Simple to do, but I have no clue if it is supported in SA?

Cheers,

clubbie

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The front wheel and discs are from a Suzuki of around the same vintage.
Looking at the damage to the cam chain cover I would say it has been involved in a front on smash and a replacement front wheel was not available.

24Back to top Go down   Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  Empty thanks for the feed back Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:57 am

rexst

rexst
thanks for the feed back

This weekend I didn't got around to do much, visited my dad and mom, and I think my dad is getting more exited with my project Very Happy

the.postman

Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:The front wheel and discs are from a Suzuki of around the same vintage.
Looking at the damage to the cam chain cover I would say it has been involved in a front on smash and a replacement front wheel was not available.
Eagle eyed Rick

You'd do well in the spot the difference comp.

Same wheels as my old GSX 750ET used to have
Different forks?

Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  Suzuki10

1984 srx 600
1986 cbr1000f/h

26Back to top Go down   Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  Empty some updates Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:40 am

rexst

rexst
Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  20131110

Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  20131111

Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  20131112

Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  20131113

Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  20131114

Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  20131115

Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  20131116

rexst

rexst
im replacing majority of the screw's with stainless steel cap screws

now if only someone who is traveling from AUS to ZA to bring me a timing cover from Rick.........
..... hint hint

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
oooh red frame ......nice change !
good luck with the build ...post more pics as you go ...we love seeing this stuff

cheers !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

rawdonball

rawdonball
Gold member
Gold member
I am flying out from Perth on Wednesday night 11th December.

Don't mind taking a timing cover off my K75C if Rick G can confirm they are the same as on the early K100?

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
As far as I can see the only difference is they are either black or silver and thats it.

rawdonball

rawdonball
Gold member
Gold member
Cheers Rick G. Can you give me an indication of the weight off your spare cover (assuming you have it available as an item and not still part of an assembly?)
rexst - can I leave it at a Mate's place near Randburg for you so you can liaise with him and collect when convenient for both parties?

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
rawdonball wrote: Can you give me an indication of the weight off your spare cover
2.13 lb, according to MaxBmw.

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
rawdonball wrote:I am flying out from Perth on Wednesday night 11th December.

Don't mind taking a timing cover off my K75C if Rick G can confirm they are the same as on the early K100?
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part=11141460273

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Inge K. wrote:
rawdonball wrote: Can you give me an indication of the weight off your spare cover
2.13 lb, according to MaxBmw.
Yep just a touch under 1 kilo

rawdonball

rawdonball
Gold member
Gold member
Thanks Guys.

36Back to top Go down   Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  Empty wow , this is so great of you all Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:01 am

rexst

rexst
thank you rawdonball and rick

I really appreaciate the efford you guys are doing for me

rawdonball randburg is fine with me, I will pm you my number and my mail adress

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
sometimes the generosity of the forum members amazes me

great work guys  applause from afar cheers Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  112350

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

38Back to top Go down   Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  Empty some updates Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:13 am

rexst

rexst
first of all I need to thank Rawdon

he came all the way from other side of the world and brought along a timing chain cover for my bike
and did not ask me a cent

thank you I really appreciate your afford and It was really nice to have met you

Last edited by rexst on Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:27 am; edited 1 time in total

39Back to top Go down   Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  Empty update Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:22 am

rexst

rexst
Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  20131210

Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  20131211

Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  20131212

40Back to top Go down   Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  Empty more Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:24 am

rexst

rexst
Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  20131214

Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  20131215

Hi , this will be my build and restore/fixing attempt of my K100 '83  20131216

Jez

Jez
Silver member
Silver member
Hats off to you rexst! from one newbie to another. It's daunting at first I know, I didn't wanna remove  anything from my K at first, but I'm now a little more comfortable being up to my elbows in K.
I'm lovin' your commitment, I'd love to get down to the frame myself and paint/ clean and seal everything that I put back on. Unfortunately I'm trying to get mine to reliable commuter state first. After that maybe K number 2 can be got. I reckon i'm not alone here in thinking a second bike is a GREAT idea. Ride one work on one. bounce 

Wonder if I can get the Missus to see it the same way. 

Keep up the good work,

Oh and a "Big Ups" again to the K100 forum you guys rock!

Jez.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum