BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Headlight relay fit went wrong. Empty Headlight relay fit went wrong. Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:01 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
I have had the relays/ wire/ ceramic plug for 6 months or so and this week I did the job while fixing a few other issues.

The miniature relays are numbered 1,2,3,4,5 instead of the 30, 80, 85 ,87 of the Bosch type so I did well (maybe)

drawing my own schematic. Worked first time, amazing! Did all the other jobs and when finished hit the start button,

nothing but the fuel pump. Tank back off and into the relay box. Prime suspects were the connectors which I pulled apart

and DeoxIT 'ed, maybe I left one undone? and secondly, I had picked up 12v and earth from the starter relay as I think 

I read here somewhere, CF I think? can't find it now.

No connectors were undone so I removed the new wires from the start relay and all good now. Back to the headlight and

changed back to the standard setup for now.

Question spark'a'gurus? why didn't that work? Bypassed the LSR maybe? OR ????

2Back to top Go down   Headlight relay fit went wrong. Empty Re: Headlight relay fit went wrong. Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:30 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
It isn't any permanent ground on the starter relay...... try to connect to the frame or one of the aux. euqipment connectors in  the relay box.

3Back to top Go down   Headlight relay fit went wrong. Empty Re: Headlight relay fit went wrong. Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:33 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
or take the ground from the frame under the tank gordo

yes that bolt that almost everything connects to ...get a 6mm eye terminal for that

as inge says the earth wire to the relay is only energised on start function .

but the big input from battery terminal is the one to pick for the +12 feed to your relays

you may have noticed that we used a fuse when picking off that point with a 20 amp fuse in there ...but 15 would be also ok .

in most of my installs we just drilled a couple of holes right next to the fuse carriers for the fuse holder ....so it was exposed outside the electrics box and could he accessed as need be ...with out undoing stuff

Headlight relay fit went wrong. Trips_10
 good luck mate

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

4Back to top Go down   Headlight relay fit went wrong. Empty Thanks Inge and Charlie Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:13 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Yeah all good, understand it even, will earth properly.

Headlight relay fit went wrong. 2013-111

Twin fuse holder for a second accessories socket on the dash pad maybe, close and neat for the tankbag.

Thanks guys for the solution. Next week I'll attack it again, going for a ride early tomorrow, Lobethal, YUMM!

Forecast 24 c , ideal, T shirt and leathers.

5Back to top Go down   Headlight relay fit went wrong. Empty Re: Headlight relay fit went wrong. Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:26 pm

frogy

frogy
Silver member
Silver member
Nice using that main earth ground. While your in there might as well clean up all the grounds at that location...just sayin Rolling Eyes

6Back to top Go down   Headlight relay fit went wrong. Empty Re: Headlight relay fit went wrong. Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:49 pm

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
It has been months since Inge and Charlie pointed out my error in grounding (earthing for rest of world)
via the starter relay contacts, thanks to you both.
Today the tank came off for reasons not related, coolant drained so needed refilled.
Beautifull job shrink wrapping the cables all for nought, slit it back to allow the earth to reach the main frame 
earth point, and Voila ! All good.
Thanks Inge and Chas.

7Back to top Go down   Headlight relay fit went wrong. Empty Re: Headlight relay fit went wrong. Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:56 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
woohoo !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

8Back to top Go down   Headlight relay fit went wrong. Empty Re: Headlight relay fit went wrong. Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:19 pm

Rendrag

Rendrag
Silver member
Silver member
Ghost who rides wrote:It has been months since Inge and Charlie pointed out my error in grounding (earthing for rest of world)

No, rest of the world, it's still ground Smile

Ground means electrical Ground. Be it 0V DC, or Neutral AC.

Earth means Earth potential. No vehicle will have Earth potential (Unless it's very broken, lol), though some try by those little static straps Smile Just for fun, for all you know, the +12 might be closer to Earth potential than 0V Wink

The two mean quite different things, and should not be assumed to be the same Smile

People tend to get confused, because AC Neutral (which could also be called Ground) is assumed to be at Earth Potential, because it's bonded to Earth at the fusebox (Hence Multiple-earth-neutral). Though assuming that can get you killed - It's not uncommon to see 10+ Volts between earth and neutral in a garage on a long run, or at the end of a 30m extension cable.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum