BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

gellermpd

gellermpd
Well, the other day I decided to take my '87 K100RS in to work.  Started up just fine (battery was hooked up to the trickle charger over night), took off down the road, down shifted coming up to a stop sign and the bike stalled.  I went to restart it and the starter kept kicking but no ignition.  I was able to push start it and get it back to the house. I let the bike run for a while, cut it off and tried to restart it but was met with the same issue.  I hooked up the charger, went to work, and 9 hours later the bike started right up.  When I cut it off and went to restart it, same problem.  I am thinking it may be the alternator.  Anyone have experience with this?

Many thanks! Question

Charge the battery, put a voltmeter across it and take a reading. Start the bike, let it tick over, take a voltage reading. Rev it to 2000+rpm and take a reading.
The results will tell you exactly what the problem is.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Does the engine spin over and not start or does it just not turn over at all?

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
If your alternator isn't working then the charge light should come on in your instrument cluster.

Measuring the voltage of your battery tells you very little.  

Take your battery to an auto parts store and ask them to load test it.  They will do it for free. (It helps them sell batteries.)

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good question rick ....not enough info so far, 

thinking dirty - bad starter brushes already

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

"Measuring the voltage of your battery tells you very little."

You are only measuring the voltage of the battery when the engine is not running. When running you are measuring the voltage of the bikes electrical system as produced (or not) by the alternator.

k75RT Keith

k75RT Keith
Silver member
Silver member
If the starter is turning the engine over then it likely isn't an alternator issue.

gellermpd

gellermpd
The engine is not spinning over.  The starter engages, but not the engine.  Come to think of it, the charging light was not on while it was running.  My question is when it stalled out, why wouldn't it start again?  At some point this week I'll bring the battery down to the shop and have them look at it.  Not like I'm going to be on the road anytime soon...too much snow and ice Sad

Thanks all!

klamityboy

klamityboy
Gold member
Gold member
The charging light should go out once you have sufficient revs to have the alternator putting out. If the alternator does not have sufficient output to excite the charging circuitry then the light will stay on.

Model Description: K 75RT
Market: Europe
Type: 0565
E-Code: K569
Engine: 3_ZYL - 0,70l (55kW)
Transmission: Manual
Body Color: Polizeiweiss
Production Date: 30.08.1990

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
The starter engages, but not the engine

Do you mean that the starter engages, and tries to turn the engine over, but can't, or that it engages and spins, but the engine doesn't?

Mike

gellermpd

gellermpd
Ok. Had the battery on the charger over night. Went downstairs, about an hour ago, unplugged the charger, no choke, key in and the bike started right up. I put the choke up to about 3/4 on, ran it until it fast idled, took the choke off and ran it for about 20 minutes (with no red charging light) while I shoveled a path to my car and cleared the snow off it. Came back to the garage and turned the bike off. Went to restart and nothing but starter turning over. Plugged the battery back in to the charger, ran some errands for about 45 minutes, came back, unplugged the charger, and the bike started right up, ran for another 10-15 minutes, turned the bike off, went to restart, nothing but starter turning over.

Since everything is revolving around the battery being charged and the red charging light is not coming on I am now leaning towards the battery. I also noticed that when the bike is at idle the headlight is kind of dim, but when I throttle up a bit it brightens up. I never noticed it before with this bike or my MZ...is this normal?

Again, a big thank you to all who have chimed in!

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
When you rev it and the headlight brightens that tells you that the alternator is working.

Save money and weight buying a battery: http://classickbikes.com/ckb.tech/0.ckb.tech.files/batts/batteries.htm

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
gellermpd wrote:... Went to restart and nothing but starter turning over...
Hi there, so the starter is turning over the engine but there is no ignition. If that is the case I would not think the battery is at fault, usually a faulty battery has no strength to turn over the engine. Or I´m missing something?
Best regards
JAP

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
As Duck said earlier get the battery load tested and DON'T try to start it again till the battery is known to be good because you have a high risk of welding the starter relay contacts together, costing you a relay as well as a battery.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Kyle10

Kyle10
Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:As Duck said earlier get the battery load tested and DON'T try to start it again till the battery is known to be good because you have a high risk of welding the starter relay contacts together, costing you a relay as well as a battery.

+1 on that one.

Signed,
The Voice of Experience  Embarassed

gellermpd

gellermpd
Thank you all!  I am going to pick up a new battery sometime this week.  I will update then.

Again, many thanks!

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
Don't just go out and spend money on a new battery. A load test will tell you whether the current ( Rolling Eyes) one is still good for service.

Mike

gellermpd

gellermpd
Ok.  Old battery was no good.  Replaced it yesterday and the bike cranked right up without any issues.  Ran it for 20 minutes and shut it down.  Went to restart, no issues.  Took it in to work this morning without any issues. Before the ride home it fired right up.

Soooo...that being stated it was the battery.

Thank you all for the input.  Now, I am more knowledgeable on this subject matter.

Again, many thanks!

klamityboy

klamityboy
Gold member
Gold member
I love a happy ending!!!

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
klamityboy wrote:I love a happy ending!!!
Thai massage? Very Happy

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Oh, very happy endings indeed!! ;-)

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Stalling and failing to restart...alternator? Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

klamityboy

klamityboy
Gold member
Gold member
Not sure where you guys are buying your batteries, but thai massage is definitely not offered at my battery shop!!! Shocked Or were you just speaking about "recharging your batteries"!!! Very Happy

Brad-Man

Brad-Man
Life time member
Life time member
Not sure my batteries would keep a charge at a thai massage parlor...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum