BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Hole in Headlight Lens Empty Hole in Headlight Lens Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:39 am

One of the bikes here has a hole in the headlight lens from a stone. I found out today that it will fail the roadworthy because of that and I need that roadworthy certificate to sell it.

Has anyone tried getting a windscreen repair guy to fix such a hole and did it work?

Sounds a lot easier than sourcing a new lens and pulling the stinking fairing off.

2Back to top Go down   Hole in Headlight Lens Empty Re: Hole in Headlight Lens Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:49 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
FYI: You don't need to pull the whole fairing off to replace a headlight lens.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

3Back to top Go down   Hole in Headlight Lens Empty Re: Hole in Headlight Lens Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:47 pm

klamityboy

klamityboy
Gold member
Gold member
Slightly off topic but related. Does anyone know where to get a headlight protector for the square RT headlight? Have seen them on bikes and pictures but never could find out a source.

Thanks

Model Description: K 75RT
Market: Europe
Type: 0565
E-Code: K569
Engine: 3_ZYL - 0,70l (55kW)
Transmission: Manual
Body Color: Polizeiweiss
Production Date: 30.08.1990

4Back to top Go down   Hole in Headlight Lens Empty Re: Hole in Headlight Lens Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:49 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

5Back to top Go down   Hole in Headlight Lens Empty Re: Hole in Headlight Lens Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:12 pm

klamityboy

klamityboy
Gold member
Gold member
Thanks. Is the K75RT headlight the same as the K100RS?

6Back to top Go down   Hole in Headlight Lens Empty Re: Hole in Headlight Lens Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:25 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
klamityboy wrote:
Yup.  Both the "bucket" and lens are the same part.

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

7Back to top Go down   Hole in Headlight Lens Empty Re: Hole in Headlight Lens Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:29 pm

klamityboy

klamityboy
Gold member
Gold member
duck wrote:
klamityboy wrote:
Yup.  Both the "bucket" and lens are the same part.
Perfect. Thanks

8Back to top Go down   Hole in Headlight Lens Empty Re: Hole in Headlight Lens Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:36 pm

Mike101

Mike101
Silver member
Silver member
klamityboy wrote:Slightly off topic but related. Does anyone know where to get a headlight protector for the square RT headlight? Have seen them on bikes and pictures but never could find out a source.

Thanks
Have a look on eBay.  I got for for £20 just today.

Mike

9Back to top Go down   Hole in Headlight Lens Empty Re: Hole in Headlight Lens Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:00 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
RobinW wrote:One of the bikes here has a hole in the headlight lens from a stone. I found out today that it will fail the roadworthy because of that and I need that roadworthy certificate to sell it.

Has anyone tried getting a windscreen repair guy to fix such a hole and did it work?

Sounds a lot easier than sourcing a new lens and pulling the stinking fairing off.
For the R, I presume or bowling ball as you put it.  Give O'Brien Glass a ring but I reckon it could be done.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

10Back to top Go down   Hole in Headlight Lens Empty Re: Hole in Headlight Lens Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:20 pm

Rang RACQ screen repair Rick, they inject resin so it will flow into the lamp, no good. Tried a window tint mob for 3m clear protective film over the lamp but they say it's not weatherproof and has to go on the inside. The roadworthy rule says there can be no way for dirt/water to enter the lamp and the beam must be clear of defects so I'm tossing up between either clear silicon or a glass repair kit. The hole is off to one side, out of the beam. I should have had a protector on it.

11Back to top Go down   Hole in Headlight Lens Empty Re: Hole in Headlight Lens Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:56 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
I used a thick self adhesive protective headlight cover material years ago for some lights.  Was meant for the outside.  At that time i got it as a kit at k-mart.  no idea if it's still available.  1 universal car kit was good for 2 bikes at least.  Saved maries headlight from a direct hailstone hit in one of those big hailstorms we get from time to time.

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Hole in Headlight Lens K-dogs10

12Back to top Go down   Hole in Headlight Lens Empty Re: Hole in Headlight Lens Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:03 am

The LT has a protector, never got around to putting one on the RT. It got holed on the run to Kingaroy around xmas, I just ignored it.

I found some araldite ultra clear epoxy glue and bogged up the hole. It's for glass and sets clear. I'll slip into the bike shop next time I pass and ask if it'll do.

13Back to top Go down   Hole in Headlight Lens Empty Re: Hole in Headlight Lens Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:13 am

smithy

smithy
Life time member
Life time member
Hey Robin, why don't you take the bike to wherever you take your car, for a rego check. The bike shop will be trying to find some work, where the standard rego bloke will just make sure all the lights ect work, he wont be interested in finding things he can do on the bike .

98 K1100lt: Vin 8044

14Back to top Go down   Hole in Headlight Lens Empty Re: Hole in Headlight Lens Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:19 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
+1 to what Smithy said.  I never take the bike to a bike shop for checking, they always find something.  The local car workshop is OK, though he starting to get very picky with the sidecar and it's lack of engineering docs.

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Hole in Headlight Lens K-dogs10

15Back to top Go down   Hole in Headlight Lens Empty Re: Hole in Headlight Lens Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:24 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Robin,

This bloke comes recommended to me as a mate used him recently for a Laverda.  So you could say he knows older bikes. Has a mobile service and located at Kingston.  I will phone him when the RT is ready for rego. 

3W.motorcycleroadworthys.com.au

Dave.

16Back to top Go down   Hole in Headlight Lens Empty Re: Hole in Headlight Lens Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:47 am

My old neighbor from about 3 houses ago runs the workshop at southside suzuki. I get a RWC done there for $42 and none have failed yet and they take them for a ride Smile  Car places can't do bike roadworthies in queensland, they aren't certified. Already tried that with one of my customers. The guys that come to your house charge $120, been there, done that. But if Andrew says he can't pass it with a holed light I'll get the guy to come here, he just walks around them. Last time he was here for the boys old suzuki he didn't even turn the ignition on  :suspect:  All 3 bikes here need roadworthies, maybe the guy that comes to you can do me a deal Smile

17Back to top Go down   Hole in Headlight Lens Empty Re: Hole in Headlight Lens Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:18 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Try the auto parts stores, they should have a resin to fill the glass, the diy kits may not be as good but to pass rego, may be all you need

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

18Back to top Go down   Hole in Headlight Lens Empty Re: Hole in Headlight Lens Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:30 am

Twas $32 for one of those DYI kits and they are aimed at cracked windscreens. This ultra clear araldite is a 2 part epoxy, was $13 and there's 100 times more of it Smile 

Too late now it's in there and it's set  Twisted Evil

19Back to top Go down   Hole in Headlight Lens Empty Re: Hole in Headlight Lens Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:33 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
TacKler wrote:Robin,

This bloke comes recommended to me as a mate used him recently for a Laverda.  So you could say he knows older bikes. Has a mobile service and located at Kingston.  I will phone him when the RT is ready for rego. 

3W.motorcycleroadworthys.com.au

Dave.

yeah dave thats the same guy that came to put gerty on the road

sensible sort of chap

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

20Back to top Go down   Hole in Headlight Lens Empty Re: Hole in Headlight Lens Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:45 am

If you got an unregistered bike here Charlie, you download and fill in the forms for rego, get a Third Party insurance certificate from any RACQ office and now you can ride your bike without plates to a RWC center, then to transport and register it. It's a lot cheaper Smile

21Back to top Go down   Hole in Headlight Lens Empty Re: Hole in Headlight Lens Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:49 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
RobinW wrote:Twas $32 for one of those DYI kits and they are aimed at cracked windscreens. This ultra clear araldite is a 2 part epoxy, was $13 and there's 100 times more of it Smile 

Too late now it's in there and it's set  Twisted Evil
Is it really ultra clear?

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

22Back to top Go down   Hole in Headlight Lens Empty Re: Hole in Headlight Lens Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:53 am

I've never seen it before, it's ultra clear tonight, not sure about 6 months time, that's not my problem Smile

I could only smear it over the front anyway, the actual bullet is on the inside, sort of reverse to a windscreen divet.

There are 2 headlights on ebay .au if push comes to shove but they both want $199. There's a Ducati twin headlight to fit my ST2 on there for $50 so $199 seems a bit off the planet.

23Back to top Go down   Hole in Headlight Lens Empty Re: Hole in Headlight Lens Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:50 am

Just to close this off, I took the Ducati down for a $45 Safety Certificate today and my mechanic mate said that so long as the headlight doesn't have a hole in it, it will be fine. I told him it had been patched with resin and he recons it's not an issue for the RWC. 

The RWC guy that comes to you wanted $220 to do all 3 bikes. I'll just ride them to Sprimgwood one at a time as needed for $45 each.

24Back to top Go down   Hole in Headlight Lens Empty re mobile rwc Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:22 am

Garyk100

Garyk100
Gold member
Gold member
sounds like the same mobile guy up here in Redcliffe, quoted $70, said the tyers were shot when he came out, I still had 3 to 4mm of tread, but the bike had been sitting for 3 years, so the donuts would be stale and hard,so as soon as it was regoed I was getting a set of angels, they were at the bike shop a few ks away, as we dont have a bike shop local, anyway after many phone calls to his girlfriend and sitting in his ute, I was told if I wanted the safety cert it would be $120. yeah I paid it, after 3 years I was needing to ride, was regoed that afternoon, it was then I was told, pay the 3rd party ride it to the bike shop and get the tyers and safety cert, could of saved a few bucks,

25Back to top Go down   Hole in Headlight Lens Empty Re: Hole in Headlight Lens Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:48 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
When you rego a vehicle in Queensland all you need to do is get the third party insurance and put the rego on the same day then taking it for roadworthy etc you are covered.

26Back to top Go down   Hole in Headlight Lens Empty Re: Hole in Headlight Lens Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:51 am

Insurance, completed rego forms, ride to RWC then ride to rego, too easy. 
If it fails RWC you can get the date/time changed on the insurance without an issue.
They didn't even want to see my bill of sale today.

27Back to top Go down   Hole in Headlight Lens Empty Re: Hole in Headlight Lens Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:34 pm

Kyle10

Kyle10
Life time member
Life time member
Mike101 wrote:
klamityboy wrote:Slightly off topic but related. Does anyone know where to get a headlight protector for the square RT headlight? Have seen them on bikes and pictures but never could find out a source.

Thanks
Have a look on eBay.  I got for for £20 just today.

Mike

Off-er topic but related. Perusing eBay for a headlight protector and came upon this. 
Marketing is so very crucial these days...

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum