BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   wiring harness swap  Empty wiring harness swap Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:12 pm

texbid

texbid
need help.

bought a bike that had a dodgy wiring harness which had an intermittent fault on the fuel pump circuit.  It ran but I opted to replace the harness. 

The bike is a non abs model, I replaced the harness with an ABS model. 

Everything works, lights, speedo, etc.  The engine cranks, the fuel pump pumps ... But no spark. 

Is there something I need to blank on the ABS that may be preventing the spark?

AM I missing someting

2Back to top Go down   wiring harness swap  Empty Re: wiring harness swap Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:16 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
It shouldn't matter if it's ABS. Nothing related to ABS influences ignition.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

3Back to top Go down   wiring harness swap  Empty Re: wiring harness swap Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:34 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
There are a few minor differences that evolved over time. One is in the fuel pump/fuel level area but seeing you have a running pump I would say that's not the case and the other was the connector to the instruments but considering the fuel pump is OK then that instruments issue should also be OK.
There is a small trap in that in the right side cover area there are 2 plugs that are the same. one is for the gear position indicator and the other is an ABS plug and strange things happen when they are swapped. It would pay to check that colours are the same and match in the plug and socket but I cant see it being an issue.  As Duck said there is no connection between the two.
What I would suggest first is to reseat the plug on the ignition control unit which is under the top frame tube just behind the head stock and the same for the engine control unit which is under the seat in the compartment of the tool tray.

There is one place to check that well could be the problem. The cable from the ignition sensors at the front of the engine and the cable from the right side ABS modulator have also the same type of plug and are in the same area (right side about midway under the fuel tank) as there is no ABS then the socket for that modulator should be vacant and may get mixed up with the ignition sensor cable. Have a look it could be worth the look.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   wiring harness swap  Empty Re: wiring harness swap Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:50 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
FYI: ABS connectors are blue, others are black.

Wiring colors at connectors should also match up.

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

5Back to top Go down   wiring harness swap  Empty Re: wiring harness swap Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:25 am

Mike101

Mike101
Silver member
Silver member
I replaced my full loom earlier this year is I've been here.

I was told by motor works that it is critical to get the right loom for the bike and not mix them up.

A lot of small changes were made year after year.  I was told that the abs loom has a lot of differences from the abs loom.

Ones you can't see as the connectors might be the same but the wires are not.

Mike

6Back to top Go down   wiring harness swap  Empty Re: wiring harness swap Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:33 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member

I call pantload on that.

Aside from the ABS, front turn signal light wiring (which is still the same color wires) and possibly instrument cluster connector, all K100s' wiring are the same. They all employ the exact same ICU, L-jet and every other electrical component.

The only other difference is the pre-emssions K100s that had an additional connection for the idle vacuum switch on the early ones - which still wouldn't be an issue.

The 85s and earlier have some different connectors for the FLS, ignition switch and GPI but I'd still be able to get any K100 to run on any other K100's main wiring harness.

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

7Back to top Go down   wiring harness swap  Empty Re: wiring harness swap Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:52 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The only one "big difference" that would be "critical" is between the RS and LT from 1989 to the end of the LT production because RS is Motronic and LT L-Jetronic. Other than that you need to go back to 1985 before there is any change.

The guy at Motoworks probably knows that if you take into account the naked bikes and the ABS models there is probably 13 different harnesses but in reality only 3 that are essentially different.

All in all the spare parts people know that there are 87 different part numbers for a particular type of item and that means to them that they should always be replaced with the correct part or a thermonuclear explosion will destroy the car, dealer and factory all in one hit. Spare parts guys are the last people to ask about things that are interchangeable.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

8Back to top Go down   wiring harness swap  Empty Re: wiring harness swap Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:04 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
in reality only 3

Exactly:

1) 85 and earlier
2) 86-on (ABS or non-ABS)
3) K100RS4V (which is a different generation K)

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]