BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   aftermarket engine management ?? Empty aftermarket engine management ?? Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:54 pm

ALEX PITON

ALEX PITON
Silver member
Silver member
first of all hi to every 1 its been a while since i have been here, me old beemer has been sitting in the shed in need of some repairs...
all as done so far should have he rwc next week... but ne way i was thinking of an after market ing system if ne 1 know of a good 1 to buy, am also thinking of maybe putting in an o2 sensor dose a newer pipe have the hole for it that will bolt up to my bike... k100rs 1986.. .
i am thinking of charging the old girl, but i think i am in need of a mch better ecu set up for it ..
thanks
alex

2Back to top Go down   aftermarket engine management ?? Empty Re: aftermarket engine management ?? Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:10 am

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Alex,

I am pretty sure I have seen aftermarket units advertised and used with the turbo mods although I believe they don't use an airflow meter but a resistance wire but are capable of using the other existing sensors.

I believe the O2 sensor came in with 4V but I stand to be corrected on that one.

As for the cost that might be a whole different story let alone the tuning but I believe you are in the right industry to "give it a go"

And I am sure we would all be interested in your progress.

Regards,

Phil

3Back to top Go down   aftermarket engine management ?? Empty Re: aftermarket engine management ?? Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:13 am

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
I had to look at a similar problem for my MINI [BMW ] Supercharged project [ k100 ].

BMW have had the decency to fit a Hall sensor already, so just dig out the MSD [ USA] catalogue and take your pick.

I am doing away with the fuel injection and using a suck through system - stone age yes I know, but it is what I was brought up with.

With the Hall sensor connected to the MSD, you have a wide variety of options, including retards for NOS, high boost - RPM limiters, oh.....loads. Does it work with FI - guess so?

4Back to top Go down   aftermarket engine management ?? Empty Re: aftermarket engine management ?? Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:22 am

ALEX PITON

ALEX PITON
Silver member
Silver member
ok thanks, i will post up what i find and am thinking ect, i have a work mate that use to do a lot of performance stuff on cars, considering the the motor in the k100 is nearly a car motor ne way as to speak buy design, i might see about a car management system. looking at the motec m4 at the pressent but i will have to put in a o2 sensor. might just drill a hole and weld on a nut, somwhere hiden. as for the airflow meter i was thinking of doing away with it any way and making a custom plimum and and intake, but its all in the air at the moment,, as for the turbo there isnt a great deal of room unless i run a electric turbo, but a supercharer would go under the tank alright i ll just need a reverse drive and look at the drive for the altinator and try to work out how to drive off there. but the first step engine managemnt.
and yeah being a mechanic has its pluses, pete my work mate use to do all the mapping ect on his lap top with the management system he used. i beleve it was about 2000 for the system, with cds to map ect
thanks beachcomber, thats a good piont but the the msd ingintion systems do they handle the injection and duty cycle as well, see what i am think is the the m4 motec adjust the duty cycle of the injectors to a map which i can alter in i charge it, the msd i think ur mention would be exelent for the carby design and it only has to deal with the spark advance and retard, but thanks ne way u reminded me of what type of crank signal i am dealing with,.

5Back to top Go down   aftermarket engine management ?? Empty Re: aftermarket engine management ?? Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:45 pm

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
Alex - my thoughts exactly - it's virtually a car engine! aftermarket engine management ?? Icon_lol

That's what attracted me to the Kay series in the first place when I was looking to get back into playing with motorcycles. That and the very reasonable prices compared with Japanese machinery [ bang for the buck].
As my previous experience [ bikes ] was primarily with old Brit stuff and latterly some Italian [ Dukes, Guzzis and Bennelis ] - the "new fangled" Japanese stuff meant I would have to learn a whole new ball game. Kays, by comparison held no particular problems [ engine wise].

When I was thinking of super tuning, the obvious choice was Turbo - already been done and relatively simple installation, plumbing, etc. However, there's something about blower "whine" that's been stirring my blood for 45+ years! aftermarket engine management ?? Icon_twisted

I've been into Drag Racing for many years [ Methanol Comp Altereds, Gassers,.....] ALL have been fitted with Superchargers. My last car was a '27T Ford Altered with a 502ci Ford - that had 3 stage nitrous oxide instead of a blower, but it did help me to learn about MSD products and what they could do. I also used a Jacobs unit, but I think they may no longer be available.

I looked at the Alternator drive as being the simple option - but discounted it for several reasons. I'm going to take the drive off the end off the crank - as traditionally it's the strongest and best supported point. With all the junk removed from the top of the "block" - there's plenty of room for the Eaton blower. A Shorrock would be nice, but they're "Classic" fodder now - which equals too bloody expensive! aftermarket engine management ?? Icon_rolleyes I might even integrate my own "Flying Magnet" sensor into the blower pulley - which again means I can use MSD components throughout for compatibility.

6Back to top Go down   aftermarket engine management ?? Empty Re: aftermarket engine management ?? Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:36 pm

ALEX PITON

ALEX PITON
Silver member
Silver member
cool . with the alti drive running the s/charger . iwas talking to pete and he said if its a 10mm gear its prob not gnna be strong enough,, and to find out weather the ring gear is welded or heat srunk , or part of the actual fly wheel cos it can create vibs and work it self off, pete also informed me the altronic engine management is 1600 and needs the tps and the crk sensor to work,,..
but ne way an eston u say i'll look into that thanks

7Back to top Go down   aftermarket engine management ?? Empty Re: aftermarket engine management ?? Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:14 am

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
Hey Alex - go with Pete's advice - the alternator drive is no way strong enough for the blower pulley loads.

Now then - several sidecar guys have fitted a car type alternator driven off the crank pulley - WHERE ARE YOU GUYS? aftermarket engine management ?? Icon_cool

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum