BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Getting wet Empty Getting wet Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:12 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
A few months back while on a trip I spent a few hours riding in very heavy rain. I had wet weather gear on and my dri-rider Nordic2 boots. All nice and cosey but about 1½ hours into the rain I noticed I was getting water inside my left boot. A short time later I could feel that cold trickle down my right ankle as well and by now now my left boot was very squelchy. This had not happened before despite quite a few rainy trips.
Getting wet 61740
The last month or so we've had regular rain here and I've had to commute in light rain, sometimes without my wet gear and untill recently it's never been a problem. Something I've noticed is that the ankles of my pants and my casual riding boots (a pair of zippered work boots) are getting saturated. A few days ago I was out after a heavy shower and the roads were reasonably wet. Once again my ankles and boots got saturated even tho it wasn't raining at the time.

It wasn't difficult to conclude that spray must be coming off the front tyre and as I changed from a BT45 to a BT023 on the front around Christmas, this coincides with the problem. Because I'm fairly tall, my wet weather pants tend to ride up a little and it seems that the spray from the front tyre is finding its way to the top of my boots. Checking out the tread pattern on the BT023 the grooves are angled out and back which would stream road water back to the riders feet.
This is annoying me so much I'm thinking of ditching the tyre. I've had to start carrying around spare shoes and socks!!

Any one else experienced this?

Last edited by Kaptain Holister on Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bad typo)

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Getting wet Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

2Back to top Go down   Getting wet Empty Re: Getting wet Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:17 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Extend the front mudguard? I did, but for a different reason. I did it to protect the oil/water pump cover from being roadblasted but the idea might help you?

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

3Back to top Go down   Getting wet Empty Re: Getting wet Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:41 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
Too wet! Ha! We should be so lucky as to have that problem in this region.  We're in serious drought, and there is no relief on the horizon.  The dry, high temps in the coming week are expected to be above 100f.  Crying or Very sad  And to think that we are still in June.  July and August promise to be challenging months this year. With temperatures that high, I lose all desire to ride a motorcycle -- and that's saying a lot.

4Back to top Go down   Getting wet Empty Re: Getting wet Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:17 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Hey Nige have you worn those sock covers over your boots? you know the ones for keeping the dirt out, I'd be getting some old wet weather pants and cutting the bottoms off and making myself some extra protection slip ons mate, if they strap tight to your boots then they should stay up your shin and thus keep the spray from getting in.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

5Back to top Go down   Getting wet Empty Re: Getting wet Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:30 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Dai wrote:Extend the front mudguard? I did, but for a different reason. I did it to protect the oil/water pump cover from being roadblasted but the idea might help you?
I'm not sure that would do it Dai. From what I can see the water is being pumped out almost sideways and is swept back to my ankles. Its the tread on the tyre.

Keith, I thought of that. Maybe extend my pants legs down somehow or probably find a pair that fitted me better Laughing I'm a cheapskate and bought them at Aldi. Other than the fact that they could do with another inch or two in the legs, they're not bad. I thought that for a longer trip I could wrap some duct tape around the bottoms to try to seal them off but that would only work with the DriRiders.
Bottom line is I shouldn't have to do any of this. Wasn't a problem with the previous tyre. What's really p!ssing me off is that just to do a short comute, if the road is wet, my legs get wet.

Anyway.... I just really wanted to see if anyone else had also found this a problem with the Battlax BT023 front tyre. Seems like a design fault to me.

Cheers

6Back to top Go down   Getting wet Empty Re: Getting wet Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:31 pm

Brad-Man

Brad-Man
Life time member
Life time member
I wouldn't call a tread design that channels water away from the rubber on the road a bad design - just the opposite.

Last edited by Brad-Man on Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

7Back to top Go down   Getting wet Empty Re: Getting wet Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:20 pm

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
I can see your point but I'd have to call it a design flaw if the rider gets unduly wet with spray from the tyre. I've easily done over 2k klm just in the wet over the past 12 months with half of that on the BT023 and I can see a difference with the amount I get wet and its particularly annoying on short commutes

8Back to top Go down   Getting wet Empty Re: Getting wet Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:30 am

smithy

smithy
Life time member
Life time member
Hey Kaptain, both my bikes have Bridgestone radials on the front the rs has BT023 and the naked has a T30, and I have no such problems. I do my fair share of riding in inclement weather here in Guyra , and my boots don't get excessively wet but my toes do get bloody cold some mornings leaving for work at 6.30am in sub zero temperatures. It was -5 here on Friday with a huge fog, I'd only travelled about 5k's of the 40 km trip to work and my visor had already frosted so bad that it couldn't be wiped off with my gloves any more as my gloves were also white with frost, bugger the fog on a cold morning.
Sorry I cant shed any light on your tyre issues mate

98 K1100lt: Vin 8044

9Back to top Go down   Getting wet Empty Re: Getting wet Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:53 am

Gaz

Gaz
Life time member
Life time member
Kaptain, it sounds like you need the old bread bag trick. Grab a couple of bags that sliced bread is delivered in and put them on over your socks before you put your boots on. Feet stay dry even if the boots get wet - I'll admit not a great solution if it is very hot weather but then it doesn't matter about getting wet as you dry out really quickly.

I always carry a couple in my pack for when it looks like I'll definitely have a length of time in cold wet conditions.

10Back to top Go down   Getting wet Empty Re: Getting wet Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:54 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
smithy wrote:Hey Kaptain, both my bikes have Bridgestone radials on the front the rs has BT023 and the naked has a T30, and I have no such problems. I do my fair share of riding in inclement weather here in Guyra , and my boots don't get excessively wet but my toes do get bloody cold some mornings leaving for work at 6.30am in sub zero temperatures. It was -5 here on Friday with a huge fog, I'd only travelled about 5k's of the 40 km trip to work and my visor had already frosted so bad that it couldn't be wiped off with my gloves any more as my gloves were also white with frost, bugger the fog on a cold morning.
Sorry I cant shed any light on your tyre issues mate
smithy... reminds me of the days back in the '70s riding my little ducati around the Central West (Bathurst Oberon Lithgow) freezing my you-know-whats off. Used to wrap up with a couple of newspapers inside my belstaff and around my legs.
Blizzard
Thanks for the feedback on the BT023s

Gaz80 wrote:Kaptain, it sounds like you need the old bread bag trick. Grab a couple of bags that sliced bread is delivered in and put them on over your socks before you put your boots on. Feet stay dry even if the boots get wet - I'll admit not a great solution if it is very hot weather but then it doesn't matter about getting wet as you dry out really quickly.
"The old feet in the sliced bread bag trick eh Chief. That might just work".
"99. Go out and buy 2 loaves of sliced wholemeal.... and ask them to slice it thick, I'm feeling a little peckissh".

Getting wet Tve54-19660219-133
I'll give it a go Gaz.

11Back to top Go down   Getting wet Empty Re: Getting wet Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:50 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Over many years I found you old boot and glove rain protectors to be best as they also keep the wind off and reduce wind chill.

When TacKler was here he had issues with wet too. Noted he uses flying boots which we used to sometimes use but there is one major flaw in wet, they actually channel the water into your boots. Must have rain protectors to stop that happening otherwise you get very wet feet.

I use the K in cold winter weather too and found the rain protectors do a fantastic job of keeping warm on even 3 hour rides and no heated grips. For tyres I have stuck with BT45 and just ordered more. 6 months from my front.....lot of riding in all weathers.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

12Back to top Go down   Getting wet Empty Re: Getting wet Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:36 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Large size freezer bags (well depending on the size of your foot and I need large ones) they take up very little space and will let your feet breath to a small extent.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

13Back to top Go down   Getting wet Empty Re: Getting wet Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:08 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try some of those.
The Nordic2 boots are waterproof. No problem there. I've ridden for hours in rain without any problems in the past. Water is finding its way into the top of the boot and its only recently since I've had the BT023 on the front. I think my solution will be to try and get a better seal with my wwpants over the top.
As for a quick trip to the shop for some milk or a 15min commute in light rain??? I'll just have to see what I can work out.
I've read discussions on other forums about tread patterns and water dispersal but nothing relating to excessive spray problems.

One thing I have noticed is that the angle of the tread pattern on the BT023 front is opposite to that of the BT45

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum