BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Steering head bearing supplier?? Empty Steering head bearing supplier?? Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:49 pm

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
My local bearing shop want over $40 each for 320/28 bearings.
Anyone know where I can pick these up a bit cheaper? Preferably in Oz.

Also should I use EP greese in these?

Cheers

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Steering head bearing supplier?? Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

2Back to top Go down   Steering head bearing supplier?? Empty Re: Steering head bearing supplier?? Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:59 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
I would try another bearing shop.  Next time you head north from Mexico, try buying closer to Brisbane.  I use a bearing place in Beenleigh (Koyo) and I am pretty sure they are nowhere near that price.  One of those bearings used in the three spoke wheels that costs an arm and leg, still cost me about $65 (FAG). 

A steering head bearing will not be subject to the same heat build up as a wheel bearing so I see no need to go for the EP grease.  However you may wish to have one type of grease for all you bearing applications, to try and keep it simple (save money).  A container will last for years.

3Back to top Go down   Steering head bearing supplier?? Empty Re: Steering head bearing supplier?? Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:58 pm

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Dave
I called Beenleigh Bearings and they quoted me $36 each.
Found these online from the UK. AU$50 for the pair incl postage. Not a bad deal. Anyone used these?

.... maybe no heat but there is a bit of pressure in a steering head bearing. I have some Penrite Molygrease EP 3% so I'll use that.

Cheers

4Back to top Go down   Steering head bearing supplier?? Empty Re: Steering head bearing supplier?? Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:01 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I used them and they lasted about 12 months and 7000k before getting notchy.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

5Back to top Go down   Steering head bearing supplier?? Empty Re: Steering head bearing supplier?? Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:28 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Rick. Its a sort of biggish job so probably worth spending the money on something decent.
I think I'll just bite the bullet and buy local.

The Pyramid brand on ebay come with seals??? can't find any reference to those on any parts list or r&r instructions. Are they needed?

6Back to top Go down   Steering head bearing supplier?? Empty Re: Steering head bearing supplier?? Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:33 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The lower one might work but the top one cant because there is nothing to seal against.

The kawasaki front end I have for chookie has them but I am not sure if they are OEM for Kawasaki.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

7Back to top Go down   Steering head bearing supplier?? Empty Re: Steering head bearing supplier?? Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:35 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Finally got around to replacing the stearing head bearings this week. Made a BIG difference to the handling especially at low speed.

All Balls 22-1024 includes 2 bearings and seals. Prices vary greatly but can be had for AU$40+$8 frt on Ebay

8Back to top Go down   Steering head bearing supplier?? Empty Re: Steering head bearing supplier?? Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:44 am

rawdonball

rawdonball
Gold member
Gold member
Let us know how many times you need to re set the adjustment before they settle?
Cheers Nigel
PS - set including dust seal from Munick Motors in Perth were $77

9Back to top Go down   Steering head bearing supplier?? Empty Re: Steering head bearing supplier?? Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:47 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Local M/C shop for $75 but then I found the same AllBalls kit on Ebay for $48 but they weren't advertised as K bearings.

Gave them an adjustment after 50klm and again today after a coupla hundred. I'll see how they go in a month or so.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum