BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Mystery Hose Empty Mystery Hose Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:20 pm

Tfreeze

Tfreeze
Finding and fixing some minor coolant leaks, I discovered a mystery hose flopping around between the air box and radiator.

It is a small hose with a one way check valve that runs down to the crankcase.

What is it for, and where is it supposed to go?

Thanks

2Back to top Go down   Mystery Hose Empty Re: Mystery Hose Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:56 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
If it terminates into the timing chain casing, then it's probably the petrol tank vent hose that's only present on American spec. bikes. European bikes just vent the tank to the atmosphere.

Paul.

3Back to top Go down   Mystery Hose Empty Re: Mystery Hose Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:17 am

Tfreeze

Tfreeze
The small hose is connected to a dual fitting. The other hose is much larger and connects to the airbox; I assume it is crankcase ventilation.

I have the little collector under the 2 tank vent lines shown in all the parts breakdowns, so figured the mystery line had to be for something different. 

Thanks for the reply.

4Back to top Go down   Mystery Hose Empty Re: Mystery Hose Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:17 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
From what I can see in your avatar you have a K100RS 16v and they have an oil seperator which discharges into the can chain cover. The other larger hose goes to the crankcase.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

5Back to top Go down   Mystery Hose Empty Re: Mystery Hose Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:12 am

Tfreeze

Tfreeze
Sorry, yes I have a 1991 K100RS 16V.

It is bankrupting me one tank at a time. Every ride burns a tank of fuel and seems to generate another issue.

First time I rode it in a spirited fashion, the final drive seal puked (just a seal). Next tank, the rear tire started to crack all the way around the tread (two new tires). Then came the fuel bubbles on the lower left of my freshly painted fuel tank (epoxy, por15 to follow). On the last tank, my bike developed a coolant leak; while repairing this I found the mystery hose. 

Rant over.

I went through the manual and found nothing about the mystery hose, but the hose from the air box that the mystery hose shares a fitting with is definitely the oil return (Nod to RicK G).  

This bike was originally from California... I accept sidecar paul's suggestion that this is some sort of fuel vapor return, and am leaning toward eliminating it. 

Thoughts?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum