BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Tyred and worn Empty Tyred and worn Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:34 pm

Ogri

Ogri
Hello echo! echo! echo!

At the moment the rear tyre is on its last few miles, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend an alternative to the current Bridgestone BT-45?
Obviously climate/rider style/road conditions play a major part in the choices, personally I prefer grip over longevity... Tyred and worn Icon_bounce
Any feedback on tyre choices would be greatly appreciated by this road worn Irishman...
Thanks.... Tyred and worn Icon_lol

http://www.globalmotorbikes.com/forums/index.php

2Back to top Go down   Tyred and worn Empty Re: Tyred and worn Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:52 am

Pirelli Sport Demon are my choice for bias ply tyres which give excellent dry and wet handling with a reasonably lengthy life biased more on the sport than the touring side. I use a 110/80-18 (58V) up front with a 140/80VB17 (69V) out the back. I've worn several sets out on different BMW models now and keep coming back to them.

http://www.pirellityre.com/web/catalog/moto/moto_catalogo_schedaDescription.page?uri=/pirellityre/en_IT/browser/xml/catalog/moto/MOTO_MV_SPORTDEMON_STR.xml&vehicleType=MOTO

3Back to top Go down   Tyred and worn Empty Re: Tyred and worn Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:58 am

Ogri

Ogri
Thanks TWB...does the oversized rear make much difference in handling and clearance to the OE tyre? Tyred and worn Icon_question

4Back to top Go down   Tyred and worn Empty Re: Tyred and worn Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:24 pm

The radial-like profile of the bias 'Demon' means they handle better than the stock sizes, with no clearance issues whatsoever, front or rear. An aware rider might notice that there is a very slight slowing of the steering once the switch to the '110' front is made, but it feels more planted and could be better explained by an increased 'feel' and stability over the '100' size. Going 10mm wider is one thing, but dropping a size in the aspect ratio (sidewall %) is another. You end up with the same rolling radius, plus, no speedo/odo error is indicated.

We've been fitting these sizes onto willing K-bike rider's bikes (and on my own) since the early '90s. Pirelli tyres have always seemed to fit especially well in this respect too. In the three BMW workshops I've done time in it was a common fitment amongst aware riders. I'd say over half of the riders opted for the tyre 'upgrade'. I do it to my bikes to this day. No, I do not work for Pirelli, nor any other tyre manufacturer, but have had the factory tyre reps nodding in agreement with our method as an option for customers.

5Back to top Go down   Tyred and worn Empty Re: Tyred and worn Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:57 pm

Ogri

Ogri
Thank a million...confirmed what I wanted to hear. I tend to ride a bit harder than average and felt a stiffer sidewall would reduce the flexion and distortion I was experiencing with the OE fitments.
Respect.

Anyone here ever been to Ireland??

6Back to top Go down   Tyred and worn Empty Re: Tyred and worn Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:58 pm

Beaut place! I rode some fine roads there in the southern region back in 2000. I was based in Devon at the time and was invited over to Ireland by some local riders. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. The tight, narrow lanes with hedgerows whizzing past your elbows at 60 mph were particularly thrilling. Here in OZ we are spoilt with so much open space, that close quarter riding is in a different league.

You'll be delighted with those Pirellis if you give 'em a go. I rode in to work this morning on a lightly traveled, twistier stretch down the coastal 'mountains' and was reminded why I like them so much. The bike feels much more nimble and quite unlike her battleship proportions shod with a good set of sneakers on her feet.

7Back to top Go down   Tyred and worn Empty Re: Tyred and worn Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:19 am

Ogri

Ogri
If you're ever back in Ireland...look us up and we'll show you the sunny south east... Tyred and worn Icon_cheers

9Back to top Go down   Tyred and worn Empty Re: Tyred and worn Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:59 pm

Ogri

Ogri
Looks like u need to lean it over a bit more? lol
mine are ordered anyhow

10Back to top Go down   Tyred and worn Empty Re: Tyred and worn Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:18 pm

scottiesharpe

scottiesharpe
Silver member
Silver member
I'm going to try the Sport Demons on my next set.

Otherwise, I've been using Avon Roadriders and loving them. Cornering grip and stability is great.

11Back to top Go down   Tyred and worn Empty Sport Demons Mon May 17, 2010 11:15 am

Helmut118

And where ,pray tell! can one get these magic beans?

Live in Halifax

Helmut118

12Back to top Go down   Tyred and worn Empty Re: Tyred and worn Mon May 17, 2010 5:05 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Helmut118 wrote:And where ,pray tell! can one get these magic beans?

Live in Halifax

Helmut118

Are you talking about the dynabeads?
You could ask few members of the BMWONS (Tree, Marilyn) or go on theDynabead web site. Just click here to access it.
Marilyn experienced wobbling on her bike. When she replaced the tire she used them and now she can let the handlebar go at any speed. She told me that the bike feels like new.

13Back to top Go down   Tyred and worn Empty Re: Tyred and worn Thu May 20, 2010 9:57 pm

andyb

andyb
Silver member
Silver member
Hi Two Wheels Better, and all.
Just thought I'd say thanks to TWB, I took your advice and fitted the Pirelli Sport Demons in the 110/80-18 and 140/80-17's.
The fitting was as you said, no problems with clearances at all. The improvements were felt immediately! A much better feel to the bike all round, very stable, none of that squirming in the rear cornering on uneven roads, and to me whilst being very stable, the bike seems much more willing to lean easily whilst feeling very planted! I've gone through 3 rears inside 10 months, as I have a daily work commute of just under 200klm's per day, so you really get to know your machines quirks. I know that everyone's bike feels great on a new set of tyres.....but I think I may found my bikes perfect match!! Thankyou again 2 wheels!
So, if anyone has been wondering about them.........chuck a set of these Pirelli's on and enjoy!

cheers Andyb Tyred and worn Icon_cheers

14Back to top Go down   Tyred and worn Empty Re: Tyred and worn Fri May 21, 2010 2:10 am

They're good skins, for sure. Thanks for the thanks, and enjoy those new tyres. I'm about to head out on an at least month-long ride up North where it's warm and then down South where it's freekin' freezin' cold. That'll give 'em a real over-the-road test. I've used several sets on my R100 Airhead so this is the first time really travelling any distance on the mighty K with them. Reports to follow.

15Back to top Go down   Tyred and worn Empty Re: Tyred and worn Fri May 21, 2010 4:34 pm

Ogri,
are you scaring little old ladies and small children (and perhaps yourself) on the fine motorbike roads of the Emerald Isle with those new Pirellis yet?

16Back to top Go down   Tyred and worn Empty Re: Tyred and worn Sat May 22, 2010 4:47 am

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Two Wheels Better wrote:I'm about to head out on an at least month-long ride up North where it's warm and then down South where it's freekin' freezin' cold. That'll give 'em a real over-the-road test. I've used several sets on my R100 Airhead so this is the first time really travelling any distance on the mighty K with them. Reports to follow.

You do realise we will now expect daily blogs and possibly a video this time.Smile Ride safe and have a good time and I look forward to the reports.

17Back to top Go down   Tyred and worn Empty Re: Tyred and worn Sat May 22, 2010 6:36 am

Video? I'm a certified Luddite, mate. Best you'll get is an occasional verbal propaganda update from the front. Tyred and worn Icon_smile

18Back to top Go down   Tyred and worn Empty Re: Tyred and worn Sat May 22, 2010 7:43 am

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Fair enough I will take what I can get but I was looking forward to Long Way Down under Very Happy

19Back to top Go down   Tyred and worn Empty Re: Tyred and worn Sat May 22, 2010 5:53 pm

I lack their 'star' quality, don't fall down nearly as much as those two, am not loaded down with half a tonne of promotional Snap-On tools (which I DO know how to use), and will not be self-conscious of a cameraman following my every move! Tyred and worn Icon_cool

Here's an outline of the planned route, weather conditions allowing. It's approaching Winter Down Under and gets quite cold at night in Victoria and the interior at this time of the year.

View Larger Map

20Back to top Go down   Tyred and worn Empty Re: Tyred and worn Sun May 23, 2010 4:17 am

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
I see it is only going to take a little over 3 days!!!!! and when you consider they are conservative estimates should be a long weekend with time to spare. Very Happy

21Back to top Go down   Tyred and worn Empty Re: Tyred and worn Sun May 23, 2010 5:57 am

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Two Wheels Better wrote:It's approaching Winter Down Under and gets quite cold at night in Victoria and the interior at this time of the year.
What constitutes as 'quite cold' in your kingdom?

22Back to top Go down   Tyred and worn Empty Re: Tyred and worn Sun May 23, 2010 7:04 am

The one I currently survey or the places I've ridden in the past?

I spent about six years living and riding in the Pacific NW (OR & WA states) and also the provinces of BC and parts of Alberta, Canada. I rode in the rain and cold to the quaint little village of Campbell River BC in early June one year - it might as well have been Winter. I also foolishly rode from Kelowna to Chilliwack one icy morning on my K1200S. As I came down through the tight pass North of Hope the heated grips were struggling away on their high position, but barely warming my hands, and the Gerbings vest was keeping my torso just a notch above hypothermia. The welcoming cups of coffee in a diner at Silver Creek my last hope at taking the chill away. I sat for hours.

Cold is relative, but if it's below freezing it's cold enough to reconsider the route no matter where we ride. A few hundred kilometres North of Mexico City is a toll road built in the mid-'90s that reaches to nearly 3000 metres in places. I saw snow whilst crossing through there in January, 1996. It regularly drops below freezing on the ride from Hobart to Launceston, Tasmania on mid-Winter mornings. The kingdom of Australia is not as warm as people imagine 'off season', as my American mate Mike from Seattle has discovered on his three month ride round OZ which he began in early-April.

If this is where we compare notes on how cold it gets where we live and where we've ridden, well, what more can I say?

Tyred and worn Inthes10

23Back to top Go down   Tyred and worn Empty Re: Tyred and worn Sun May 23, 2010 8:58 pm

ZeeBob

ZeeBob
I hate the freakin' cold! And hate it more the older I get. It was 4 degrees C yesterday morning and I piked it and took the comfort of the car to work. As for tyres, I also found the sport demons to be terrific but also didn't mind a Macadam on the rear.

24Back to top Go down   Tyred and worn Empty Re: Tyred and worn Mon May 24, 2010 3:09 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
I don't do minus anything now, I used to but not any more, that's why I live in the North Island of NZ in Auckland, I take my hat off to you hardy types battling the ice and snow.
Regards,
K-BIKE

25Back to top Go down   Tyred and worn Empty Re: Tyred and worn Mon May 24, 2010 6:55 am

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
I have to say I have done the cold in the past and no not Northern Hemisphere cold but cold enough that you are still able to ride a motorcycle and chill factor would be minus a lot and it wasn't pleasant.
However with the RT I would not have any problems doing it again and I would suggest almost comfortable compared to what it was like years ago.
It is not much of a summer bike but winter no problems at all and with the plethora of clothing available now you don't even have to dress like the Michelin man.

26Back to top Go down   Tyred and worn Empty Re: Tyred and worn Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:41 am

I've just this arvo had another set of new Pirelli Sport Demons whacked onto my K100RS by the good people at Gold Coast Motorcycle Tyre in Mermaid Beach, Queensland. I was easily able to mildly wear the rear tyre locally for a coupla thousand K's back and forth to work, then take it down to the wear bars halfway home on my far North Queensland roadtrip. The front tyre simply 'scalloped' a bit both sides with more than half its tread gone, and the tyre bloke reckons I ran it with too low a pressure (which is usually 36 solo to 40 psi loaded down) and suggested I keep it at 40 psi minimum front and 42 rear. This has not been my experience with bias belted tyres (usually 36-38 front and 38-42 rear), only with radials have I gone much higher, so I will try what he suggested and watch the result. I am open to learning, no worries.

I'm off at the end of this week to Melbourne and vicinity for a coupla/three weeks (into the teeth of a Victorian Winter!) so we'll see what happens, wear-wise.

Overall, I reckon I managed 10-11000 kms maximum from the rear and 15000 kms from the front tyre in a combo of commuting and touring with an emphasis on sport (they were not fitted at the same time). A corner must be attacked!

While this mileage distance is not a substantial lifetime for a set of bike tyres, oh what joy I had wearing them down! This new set after scrubbing in for about 60 kms has given me the feel and ease of turning that I like so much about this particular tyre. Hence, another new set are rolling and I am satisfied with them compared to the other brands I've tried over the years.

27Back to top Go down   Tyred and worn Empty Re: Tyred and worn Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:58 am

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
Two Wheels,
My hat's off to you......a real hardened motorcyclist. Rain is OK as long as it is warm...can't stand cold riding.
Ajays

AJAYS

28Back to top Go down   Tyred and worn Empty Re: Tyred and worn Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:14 am

My excellent Gerbings' 12 volt heated jacket liner, Atlantis 3 gloves, heated handgrips, poly longies & socks, & Sidi boots will be keeping me warm while the wet weather gear will keep me dry if (when) the inevitable rain falls!

I'm not carrying any camping gear on this ride. It's waking up to a sodden tent and having to pack it away dripping that gets my ire up. Nope, hotels & motels are it!

BTW, those Pirellis are excellent in the wet too! If a rider loses confidence in his or her tyres in the dry then forget about riding at all on them in the wet. The pucker factor can be too much to bear. Tyred and worn Icon_eek

Tyred and worn Gone_t10
Doing the Down Under Stig.

29Back to top Go down   Tyred and worn Empty Re: Tyred and worn Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:24 am

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
Tyred and worn TW2TW,
You get better looking every day....!!
Ajays

NO I am 82 years old in November this year (born 1928)

Last edited by Ajays on Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:37 am; edited 2 times in total

30Back to top Go down   Tyred and worn Empty Re: Tyred and worn Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:10 am

Mate, I WISH I had the hair you've got at age fifty and you're what, 59, 60...!? LOL - that means Laugh Out Loud, BTW - and that means By The Way!

Goodonya!

31Back to top Go down   Tyred and worn Empty Re: Tyred and worn Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:48 am

Touché - I can't even work out how to alter a photo like that on a 'puter!

A mate of mine has a t-shirt which he's very proud of and that states: Old Guys Rule!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum