BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Electrical Gremlin Need help please. Empty Electrical Gremlin Need help please. Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:47 pm

TheJoker

TheJoker
Silver member
Silver member
Hello, I'm getting along with my project bike haven't had that much time to get into it but it's getting there. Anyway the reason for this thread is I've got an electrical gremlin. Right then I installed these indicators which caused hyper flash on me (I've since learnt to remove this I can remove the solder from pin 7 on the indicator relay). However whilst working out my mess of wires a negative and positive joined together. This caused two fuses to blow (fuse 3 and 4).

Now since this my digital clock has stopped working, I've lost neutral on the instruments and it's now reading the gears in reverse. Go down and you are going up the gears. Now since the wire got tugged together I've also lost the indicators they have stopped working completely. All fuses seem to be working I've replaced with known good ones from another bike. Battery has charge as my horn is still working fine and so is the headlight. 

Now every time I go to start the bike I get a weird sound like something is shorting out the system. I did have a weird wine noise when I went to actually sort the indicators before hand but this appeared only on the left hand side. Obviously something has blown or snagged but I'm having problems working out what it is.

Electrical Gremlin Need help please. K100_i10

Now on the other hand I've also got another problem I'm trying to sort out, right now I've got a dual filament bulb in the new headlight and a sidelight bulb. Now the wiring has been hooked up and the double filament works main beam and full beam. The headlight seems to get a bit warm but it works. However the sidelight I'm not sure what to do with. I've found some extra wires but I can't remember what they are for. Any idea can you identify them ?

Electrical Gremlin Need help please. 20161010

Looking forward to the replies.
Thank you,
Sam.

Lexmoto (first bike ever to ride) , CB125 TDC 86 , CG125 89 , GN125 97 , ER5 96 , K100 RS 84

84/01 K100rs 0013627

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Brown wire is a ground and a white is usually high beam. Where does the cable go to or come from will help
Fuse 3 supplies power to the flasher unit and to the clock Fuse 4 is a spare but there could be some aftermarket things connected.
It is possible that #4 was used to replace a blown fuse and the blown fuse replaced in the #4 slot because I cant see how the two fuses being blown can be related.
Which wires did you connect together to cause the trouble?

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

TheJoker

TheJoker
Silver member
Silver member
That red block with the brown and white wire is coming from the main from loom that has the indicators and other headlight wire.

The wire that got twisted together was the positive and negative wire for the left front indicator.

Lexmoto (first bike ever to ride) , CB125 TDC 86 , CG125 89 , GN125 97 , ER5 96 , K100 RS 84

84/01 K100rs 0013627

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Ah! Then your nasty buzz is quite likely to be a buggered flasher relay.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

TheJoker

TheJoker
Silver member
Silver member
Sorry for the late reply I've just got back in from work so time to see if I can sort this out. Before starting I replaced the fuses again just to see if by luck it had gone away checking if the clocks were at fault. Stupid thinking I know. Anyway it blew fuse 3 again. Just not 4 this time.

Bear with me I've never worked with internal electrics before especially inside relays. Now I've just taken the relay apart and found this. Obviously to me this looks weird and bad. I'm guessing it should look a lot better.

Electrical Gremlin Need help please. 20161013
Electrical Gremlin Need help please. 20161012
Electrical Gremlin Need help please. 20161011

84/01 K100rs 0013627

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Not good. I think I did that once when I accidentally touched a blinker wire while welding the fairing antlers... Doh!
Electrical Gremlin Need help please. V046

That red block with the brown and white wire is coming from the main from loom that has the indicators and other headlight wire.
That looks like the parking light bulb holder. Does the white wire have a grey stripe?
White/grey power
Brown earth
???

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Electrical Gremlin Need help please. Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

TheJoker

TheJoker
Silver member
Silver member
Holister wrote:Not good. I think I did that once when I accidentally touched a blinker wire while welding the fairing antlers... Doh!
Electrical Gremlin Need help please. V046

That looks like the parking light bulb holder. Does the white wire have a grey stripe?
White/grey power
Brown earth
???

Yikes well I've just ordered a new relay and a few others, I am still getting the weird noise with that disconnected from the machines so I'm thinking it's just an after market affect and some other cause possibly. Now its been suggested a possible earth but before I started messing with indicators there was only one that was messed with and that was for the fuel rail behind it however I made sure this was tight. Any idea Question

Here is an image of the wire with the red box. It does look like the wire you suggested, now I'm considering putting this to a sidelight bulb inside the headlight. The aim is off in this image but this is the temporary headlight to get it through the mot.

Electrical Gremlin Need help please. 20161014

And the headlight below, the bulb I'm on about linking it to is the one at the bottom you can just see a yellow tint.

Electrical Gremlin Need help please. 14164010

Cheers sam.

84/01 K100rs 0013627

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum