BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   gidday from nth qld Empty gidday from nth qld Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:05 pm

flea

flea
just say hi ,owned bikes all my life ,now 65 , but never a bmw ..just bought one through a pure fluke ,went out to look at a tt350 dirt bike and came home with it and a bmw k100 RT 1987 model , both at a price I couldn't refuse ..both are keepers ..reason never owned 1 before is simply 1 never came up at the right price and not being in the citys they are fairly rare , it will be good company for my xs650 and piaggio mp3 250 , thanks for letting me join and hopefully letting me pick a few brains as I get the bm back on the rd  (1 reason for the cheap price )

2Back to top Go down   gidday from nth qld Empty Re: gidday from nth qld Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:45 pm

Gaz

Gaz
Life time member
Life time member
Welkome aboard Flea. How far north in Qld are you?

I was originally from Mackay but now reside in the Hunter Valley NSW. Good luck with getting the K sorted, lots of help on here and then look for an opportunity to meet up with other inmates on one of our rides. The Krowd on here are great kompany.

Cheers.

3Back to top Go down   gidday from nth qld Empty Re: gidday from nth qld Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:21 pm

flea

flea
Gaz wrote:Welkome aboard Flea. How far north in Qld are you?

I was originally from Mackay but now reside in the Hunter Valley NSW. Good luck with getting the K sorted, lots of help on here and then look for an opportunity to meet up with other inmates on one of our rides. The Krowd on here are great kompany.

Cheers.

thanks gaz ,I'm on Atherton tablelands ,hope don't keep the members 2 busy with questions as this is a completely new bike to me , bikes all complete but just missing a couple of things ,some of the air duct ,needs new brake rear master cyd , key housing has fallen apart ,was parked a long time but he started it regular but couple of days before I bought it wouldnt start but fuel was about 12 months old ,will post a photo up when work out this site better.. worked at sandy hollow a couple of times (near denman )

4Back to top Go down   gidday from nth qld Empty Re: gidday from nth qld Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:27 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
You are very welcome to the forum and ask as many questions as you need to. The ones you don't ask are the ones that will cause you troubles. If you need parts too, ask around before you buy because some very good sources exist.

As for meeting your fellow K owners, they are very welcoming and we have met a few of them up this part of the world, including Gaz and his wife who we enjoyed some time with.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 49,200 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 63,390 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

5Back to top Go down   gidday from nth qld Empty Re: gidday from nth qld Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:52 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Hi Flea welcome to the Knuthaus from the Southern Tablelands. Atherton Tablelands sounds like a good place for a week long forum ride.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

6Back to top Go down   gidday from nth qld Empty Re: gidday from nth qld Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:53 pm

flea

flea
RicK G wrote:Hi Flea welcome to the Knuthaus from the Southern Tablelands. Atherton Tablelands sounds like a good place for a week long forum ride.

thanks rick ,definitely worth the ride , the tablelands is some of the best riding in qld ,heres some photos of the new toy gidday from nth qld Dscf1011
gidday from nth qld Dscf1010
gidday from nth qld Dscf1012

7Back to top Go down   gidday from nth qld Empty Re: gidday from nth qld Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:54 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Not a bad find, low seat and all. Did you get all the plastic bits?
Would pay to have a browse here, Ted has all the info condensed. http://www.verrill.com/moto/newkbike.shtml

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

8Back to top Go down   gidday from nth qld Empty Re: gidday from nth qld Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:38 am

k-rider

k-rider
Life time member
Life time member
welkome flea 

thats a nice rt you've got there  gidday from nth qld 112350

k-rider

9Back to top Go down   gidday from nth qld Empty Re: gidday from nth qld Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:03 am

flea

flea
RicK G wrote:Not a bad find, low seat and all. Did you get all the plastic bits?
Would pay to have a browse here, Ted has all the info condensed. http://www.verrill.com/moto/newkbike.shtml
yep all the fairings there ,all good except small part of bottem skirt on one side , damaged but repaired , 2 sets of panniers the large bmw ones and a small set as well , top box as well but box hasnt the frame work to fit it , already had a look at  the new bike etc ..good read which will go over more , first step GET A MANUAL  before i do any thing , not used to fuel injection ..fuel in bikes over 12 months old , after draining whats the next best step to clean the lines etc.. said i was going to pick a few brains Very Happy  all help welcome.. thinking (early days ) maybe puting a chair on it but as said early days , still new toy.. what is the step by step to get the battery out ..havnt tried but the bloke got it off said you had to do this ..this and this to get the seat off but due to the fact it was pouring rain when trying to load the bike it all went into a deaf ear but he said was about 5 mins to get the seat off etc to get at the battery.. speedo 151000 kls

keep getting a pop up ..adobe flash player / micro soft 3rd player app .. since signing on.. have i been hacked .. keeps coming up every couple of mins

10Back to top Go down   gidday from nth qld Empty Re: gidday from nth qld Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:30 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The seat catch is on the left side where the seat lock is, push the small lever down then lift the front of the seat and slide it forward and lift off.
The manuals aren't much chop on the EFI no they are useless.
After you have a few more posts up our esteemed leader Bert aka Crazy Frog will send a password to the downloads if you ask and in there is a wealth of info that will keep the most ardent fan occupied for days.
You'll get more info here than any manual but the EFI is fairly trouble free.
Drain the stale fuel and renew the filter and internal fuel lines and refill with fuel and most of the stale fuel will go as soon as the pump starts. Use the immersible fuel lines or the fuel melts them.
If you want a Haynes manual PM me.

11Back to top Go down   gidday from nth qld Empty Re: gidday from nth qld Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:31 am

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
So you just bought a K.........

http://www.verrill.com/moto/newkbike.shtml

Mike

12Back to top Go down   gidday from nth qld Empty Re: gidday from nth qld Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:52 am

flea

flea
RicK G wrote:The seat catch is on the left side where the seat lock is, push the small lever down then lift the front of the seat and slide it forward and lift off.
After you have a few more posts up our esteemed leader Bert aka Crazy Frog will send a password to the downloads if you ask and in there is a wealth of info that will keep the most ardent fan occupied for days.
Drain the stale fuel and renew the filter and internal fuel lines and refill with fuel and most of the stale fuel will go as soon as the pump starts. Use the immersible fuel lines or the fuel melts them.
thanks for the welcome from every body ... internal immersible fuelines ???.. definitly think i need a paper manual as well , haynes the best ?? thought had trouble sorting out the vm34 carbs on the xs650..going to be intresting but should be fun

13Back to top Go down   gidday from nth qld Empty Re: gidday from nth qld Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:03 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Internal immersible fuel lines are the ones inside the tank as the pump is not bolted down but its clipped into a vibration damper housing that the petrol will eat over time and the fuel line connections to it are not metal.

I would also recommend replace the external fuel lines, its 8/13mm BMW fuel line and its cheap but make sure its for fuel injection.

It is true, 5 mins to get the battery out.

1. Removing seat but the pivot hinges on mine have a split clip or circlip on the pivots, take these off and it slides forward to come off.
2. Under the rider part of the seat remove the plastic cover over the underseat tray.
3. Remove both side panels covering the battery. Pull them loose at extreme front and rear corners, they are on rubber grommets but the third point at the bottom is a pivot so let it down horizontal then slide them toward the rear.
4. Remove both battery wires at the terminals and you should be able to access these through the gaps. [The earth is grounded on a lug on the gearbox above the gear lever, remove and clean it too].
5. On the left side you will see a multiplug connector into the Fuel Injection Control Unit [FICU] in a compartment under the underseat tray but its in the same moulding. You may have to cut a cable tie that should have the wire held to the frame. You can see the clip to release the plug through a hole in the bottom of the underseat tray.
6. The FICU should now come out the left side, but it may have a pin in place on the right hand side that you have to release.
7. Now you can remove the underseat tray as a unit.
8. Two long cross head screws hold down the metal bracket holding the battery and the coolant bottle in place. Unscrew these and remove the bracket and screws . The coolant bottle will simply become loose.
9, Battery will wriggle out upwards through the space between the frame tubes.

Sounds complicated but once you have done it the next time is simple. When putting it all back make sure the multiplug connection is done up properly, if not you will get non starting/running issues.

With that lot out of the way have a look around, you will see the rear of the starter motor and the only 2 bolts that hold it in place, beside it under the right hand plastic cover is the alternator and 3 bolts keep that in place so they are very simple to remove and you don't have to remove one to get at the other if you have some long Allen keys for the alternator bolts.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 49,200 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 63,390 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

14Back to top Go down   gidday from nth qld Empty Re: gidday from nth qld Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:37 pm

flea

flea
flea wrote:
RicK G wrote:The seat catch is on the left side where the seat lock is, push the small lever down then lift the front of the seat and slide it forward and lift off.
thanks for the welcome from every body ... internal immersible fuelines ???.. definitly think i need a paper manual as well , haynes the best ?? thought had trouble sorting out the vm34 carbs on the xs650..going to be intresting but should be fun. I know this is a hard question but with speedo at 151 thou kls what would you normally exspect before needing a motor rebuild ,have read of large miles on these motors but most seem to be 1 owner bikes where with mine I don't have any real history (but from condition looks to be well looked after )

15Back to top Go down   gidday from nth qld Empty Re: gidday from nth qld Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:11 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
300,000 to 400,000km is very common. One of the forum members has 404,000km and the speedo hasn't worked since I met him 5 years ago.
I have heard of one in US that has more than a Million miles on it and still mostly original.
Good regular maintenance is the key as with any mechanical contrivance.

16Back to top Go down   gidday from nth qld Empty Re: gidday from nth qld Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:17 pm

flea

flea
ya .. had a good score ,took off the seat to have a look around and there in the duck tail was a complete and original tool kit ,had a look at munich motorcycles web site and now being a unanticipated buy will now have to wait a couple of weeks to order a lot of maintanince parts ,ie fuel lines , filters etc but that will give me a chance to go over the manual rick sent me before I get serious ,first thing dump the fuel ,was so bad almost heaved when I smelt it

17Back to top Go down   gidday from nth qld Empty Re: gidday from nth qld Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:58 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Many of the Aussies here buy from Motobins or Motoworks in UK prices are nuch better and delivery time is almost as quick as from West Oz
https://www.motobins.co.uk/
http://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Home/index.php

18Back to top Go down   gidday from nth qld Empty Re: gidday from nth qld Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:22 pm

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Just a correction to getting access to the battery.  As you have a low seat, the first few instructions Olaf provided refer to a standard seat.  

If you remove the seat as Rick suggested, you will find there are no side covers fitted as the lower side of the tank rubber surround covers that area.  By removing the lock nut fitted to the rod end from the seat latch you can remove the rod from the latch mechanism at the front.  The latch mechanism is attached to the top of the plastic bracket that supports the FICU.  There is no tool tray fitted under the seat as the low seat uses that space.  Toolkit should reside in the duck tail compartment.  

There are a total of four rubber bungs (attached to the frame) that hold the FICU bracket in place. Two at the front and two at the rear. After the FICU plug is disconnected, pull the bracket to the rear/up and it should come free allowing access to the top of the battery.  

Klear as mud  Idea

Last edited by TacKler on Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

19Back to top Go down   gidday from nth qld Empty Re: gidday from nth qld Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:27 pm

flea

flea
TacKler wrote:Just a correction to getting access to the battery.  As you have a low seat, the first few instructions Olaf provided refer to a standard seat.  

If you remove the seat as Rick suggested, you will find there are no side covers fitted as the lower side of the tank rubber surround covers that area.  By removing the lock nut fitted to the rod end from the seat latch you can remove the rod from the latch mechanism at the front.  The latch mechanism is attached to the top of the plastic bracket that supports the FICU.  There is no tool tray fitted under the seat as the low seat uses that space.  Toolkit should reside in the duck tail compartment.  

There are a total of four rubber bungs (attached to the frame) that hold the FICU bracket in place. Two at the front and two at the rear. After the FICU plug is disconnect, pull the bracket to the rear/up and it should come free allowing access to the top of the battery.  

Klear as mud  Idea

ah..thanks scratch have to print this out and take it up the shed , one things for sure a remote plug for a battery charger /maintaince charger is one of the first things going on it

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum