BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Motorbike Mike

Motorbike Mike
Life time member
Life time member
I picked up this 16v 1000 today. It's not been run in 7 years but in that K fashion, clean fuel and a new battery had it spluttering into life-it runs really nice now!
About 10 minutes after shutting it down the left indicator came on and stayed on. I hit the cancel button but it refused to go out, cancel works on the right side though.   I disconnected the battery in a poor attempt to reset everything but no, it's still on. I have not gone through all the block connectors etc yet but wondered if any of you guys had experienced something similar.

Thanks,
Mike.

Indicator stuck on-anyone else had this issue? Img_5210

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Could be the left indicator button is dirty and won't retract after being pushed. If this happens, the button remains permanently grounded and the indication can't be cancelled. Check and service the left switch cluster.

Ringfad

Ringfad
Life time member
Life time member
My thoughts are the same as Robmacks. I believe Curley had this issue and it was a sticky left hand switch.

That is a nice looking bike you have acquired.

;BMW; K100RS Style Black 1987 105K Km     ;BMW; K1 Black 1993 60K Km     ;BMW;  K1100RS Black 1996       ;BMW; K1 Blue 1990 25K Miles

Motorbike Mike

Motorbike Mike
Life time member
Life time member
Ringfad wrote:My thoughts are the same as Robmacks. I believe Curley had this issue and it was a sticky left hand switch.

That is a nice looking bike you have acquired.
Thanks. 
I'll begin thorough investigation tomorrow. I'm going to split and clean every connection and will look into the controls as a matter of course. I did wonder about the contacts inside because the starter button struggles to make a contact when you go for a start. 
I'll be checking the relays too. 

Thanks guys, I'll keep the post informed. 👍

Motorbike Mike

Motorbike Mike
Life time member
Life time member
I've found the problem with the indicator staying on, the relay is shot. I can't see anything physically wrong but what do you do?
I swapped it out for a spare and it's perfect now.

I have another issue though, the speedometer doesn't work! I've checked all connections so I'm thinking that it can only be the sender or the unit itself-any other clues out there?

Indicator stuck on-anyone else had this issue? Img_5211

Chocolate

Chocolate
Life time member
Life time member
Hello!

You properly have a other UNIT to swap/test, then you know where the issue sits.

If it's not the unit.

1.) clean the connection/magnet at the rear wheel
2.) check the connection at the right sight of the frame

Cheers

Motorbike Mike

Motorbike Mike
Life time member
Life time member
Chocolate wrote:Hello!

You properly have a other UNIT to swap/test, then you know where the issue sits.

If it's not the unit.

1.) clean the connection/magnet at the rear wheel
2.) check the connection at the right sight of the frame

Cheers
Hi Chocolate,
All connections are clean and sound including the multi-pin on the back of the instruments. I do have another set and will try them as soon as I can. I also have another sender.
I've never had a K with so many electrical faults. I suppose it had to happen eventually. scratch

Chocolate

Chocolate
Life time member
Life time member
You will solve it, I'm sure!

Indicator stuck on-anyone else had this issue? Electrical-faults-in-power-system

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Motorbike Mike wrote:I've found the problem with the indicator staying on, the relay is shot. I can't see anything physically wrong but what do you do?
I swapped it out for a spare and it's perfect now.

I have another issue though, the speedometer doesn't work! I've checked all connections so I'm thinking that it can only be the sender or the unit itself-any other clues out there?

Indicator stuck on-anyone else had this issue? Img_5211

build up of fine filings on the sender unit ....but usually the connections under the rhs side cover ....they corrode up ....a fine file may remove some of the crud off the pins ...but you need to do the socket part as well  and then crimp the rollover connections just a little so that they grab the pins properly and firmly

good luck

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Garyk100

Garyk100
Gold member
Gold member
Looks a good buy, the tank to seat cover is different no sidecovers, I have a similar K, but have just bought a k1100, that had sat for 2 years I was told, if yours sat for 7 yrs what was the state of the inside of your tank, mine the hoses had turned to licorice, and a horrible smelling goo over everything, cheers Gary

1991 K100rs16v

Motorbike Mike

Motorbike Mike
Life time member
Life time member
The previous owner emptied the tank before he stored it! 
I have the side panels but they don't fit with the low seat option.

It will make one-eventually.

Garyk100

Garyk100
Gold member
Gold member
Motorbike Mike wrote:The previous owner emptied the tank before he stored it! 
I have the side panels but they don't fit with the low seat option.

It will make one-eventually.
Thanks, good thinking by previous owner, good luck with it, had mine 19 yrs and still a pleasure to ride,

1991 K100rs16v

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum