BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Which tape for binding wiring looms? Empty Which tape for binding wiring looms? Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:56 am

Ozbeem

Ozbeem
Trying to find out which tape BMW uses for binding their wiring looms (1985 K100RS and 1997 K1200RS).  Wurth have a 19mm adhesive cloth tape designed for that purpose.  So too does TESA.  Anyone have experience doing restorations to original specs?  If so, I'm trying to go BMW original and not plastic electrical tape...

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Definitely don't use common electrical tape for your harness. It won't last and its not heat resistant.
You can buy automotive harness tape fairly easily from ebay or go for something with a little reputation. It's pretty cheap anyway.
http://www.carbuilders.com.au/fleece-tape

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Which tape for binding wiring looms? Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Tape - beeugh!!!!!! Use PVC sleeving right the way through, unless you really want the 'original look'. PVC sleeving takes a bit more planning ahead when making the loom but has far better survivability over the long term. As the original loom is a mixture of both, my guess is that tape just made the final assembly quicker on the production line. I haven't used tape when making a new loom in over thirty years because I dislike it that much! Very Happy

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum