BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
After my Bricks little hissy fit alternator brushes,  relays, battery and four pin connector I decided I deserved a long ride.  To be sure I thought I'd check that it started before I put my gear on it started first touch, yippee. Duratech waterproof fuel pump 4 pin connector replacement.  723598  I went and changed into my riding gear opened the garage door and went to start the bike it didn't fire. I checked the four pin connector resprayed it with both DeoxIT's and it fired up. I decided then and there that today's ride would be postponed and I would be replacing the 4 pin connector. To be fair I think it has only played up once before in the twenty years I have owned it.

I read up on fitting the Duratech connector and they advised that there special crimper be used. I rang Jaycar and asked if they had one they said no, but they had one that would do the job. The Brick was running, so off to Jaycar, I saw the guy who I had talked to on the phone and he tried to sell me one of those cheap flat crimpers. I said no that I had two of those and I wanted to crimp Duratech connectors. He then showed me a Duratech crimper designed especially for the Duratech waterproof connectors.  Duratech waterproof fuel pump 4 pin connector replacement.  610153 They should install a brick wall for customers to bang their heads against. The cost of the crimper was $14.00 Au and it was not listed on the Jaycar site. I tried to use the Duratech crimper but it was easier to use a small set of flat blade pliers. I'm unsure whether I'll take them back for a refund as they are not the same as the ones on the site showing how to fit the connectors. Duratech waterproof fuel pump 4 pin connector replacement.  161205

I had to fiddle with the 4 pin connector a few times at Jaycar to get the fuel pump running. There is a site on how to fit the connectors 
https://www.google.com.au/url? I have used a similar type before that used plastic wedges however the Duratech looks heaps easier and better. With the connector now fitted it starts first time every time.
Regards Martin.

bigdavergs

bigdavergs
Silver member
Silver member
Hi Martin, any chance you could pop up a pic of the connector you used? Been looking on the interweb, but can't find anything. Cheers, Dave.

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Dave local Jaycar have them and will ship part no PP2114. $ 16.95 http://www.jaycar.com.au/ Don't bother with the Duratech crimpers.Take your time when crimping them, and make sure you have the pins in the correct hole before fully inserting them as a special tool is required to remove the pins once they are locked. Follow the guide that I posted.
Regards Martin. santa
Duratech waterproof fuel pump 4 pin connector replacement.  Durate11
Duratech waterproof fuel pump 4 pin connector replacement.  Durate14
Duratech waterproof fuel pump 4 pin connector replacement.  Durate12
Duratech waterproof fuel pump 4 pin connector replacement.  Durate13
Duratech waterproof fuel pump 4 pin connector replacement.  Durate15

bigdavergs

bigdavergs
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks Martin, that's great. Regards, Dave.

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
I use those connectors for making sidecar wiring looms. Molex (or Molex-type) crimp tools do the job perfectly.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
The best crimpers that I have found for those terminals is the Engineer PA-20:
Duratech waterproof fuel pump 4 pin connector replacement.  473763
https://www.amazon.com.au/Engineer-Precise-Universal-Terminal-Crimping/dp/B002AVVO7U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514032894&sr=8-1&keywords=engineer+pa-20

I own and use the smaller version of that crimper tool for 1.5mm JST connector terminals, the Engineer PA-09. Both are very high quality Japanese manufactured hand tools. They will produce air tight crimps with proper forming of the connector's blades around the wire. They may seem expensive but good tools are worth the money.

If you use the flat blade needle-nose pliers to produce the crimp, then I'd suggest you also touch a bit of solder to the very end of the wire. Just enough to wet the pin but not enough to wick up the wire past the pin. This process step will ensure a reliable electrical connection for many years.

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Rob. Too late she cried done and dusted. I will do the solder trick next time, if there is ever a next time. I am hoping that the connector will outlive me. 
Merry Christmas regards Martin.

Spexbike

Spexbike
MartinW wrote:Dave local Jaycar have them and will ship part no PP2114. $ 16.95 http://www.jaycar.com.au/ Don't bother with the Duratech crimpers.Take your time when crimping them, and make sure you have the pins in the correct hole before fully inserting them as a special tool is required to remove the pins once they are locked. Follow the guide that I posted.
Regards Martin. santa 
Great idea,just don't understand how that plug is connected to the sender unit,since the old plug slides right into it? Got a unreliable plug myself I assume and trying to find a reliable alternative. I live in the US ,any info is greatly appreciated,Thx
Duratech waterproof fuel pump 4 pin connector replacement.  Durate11
Duratech waterproof fuel pump 4 pin connector replacement.  Durate14
Duratech waterproof fuel pump 4 pin connector replacement.  Durate12
Duratech waterproof fuel pump 4 pin connector replacement.  Durate13
Duratech waterproof fuel pump 4 pin connector replacement.  Durate15
Ggre

http://www.spextattoo.com/

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Spexbike wrote:. . .just don't understand how that plug is connected to the sender unit,since the old plug slides right into it? Got a unreliable plug myself I assume . . .
Assumptions can get costly, can't they?  Smile 

I don't understand what you're trying to convey in the quote I've posted. 1985 K100 models have two differing fuel level senders. The first model screws into the floor of the tank on the clutch-side of the moto by means of a round threaded cap that has four prongs protruding from it. The replacement sender in models made after mid-1985 are attached to a rectangular panel bolted toward the middle of the tank and it has a plug attached to wires protruding from the panel. Its mating connector is along the brake-side frame of the moto. Which type do you have?

Do us a favor. Please click on the Profile tab in the header at the top of this page. In the next screen that appears, click the Signature tab then enter your moto's model and year. That information will then appear below all your posts to let readers know what you might be riding, restoring or repairing without having to backtrack to find out.

RS Rider

RS Rider
Gold member
Gold member
Laitch wrote:
Spexbike wrote:. . .just don't understand how that plug is connected to the sender unit,since the old plug slides right into it? Got a unreliable plug myself I assume . . .
Assumptions can get costly, can't they?  Smile 

I don't understand what you're trying to convey in the quote I've posted. 1985 K100 models have two differing fuel level senders. The first model screws into the floor of the tank on the clutch-side of the moto by means of a round threaded cap that has four prongs protruding from it. The replacement sender in models made after mid-1985 are attached to a rectangular panel bolted toward the middle of the tank and it has a plug attached to wires protruding from the panel. Its mating connector is along the brake-side frame of the moto. Which type do you have?

Do us a favor. Please click on the Profile tab in the header at the top of this page. In the next screen that appears, click the Signature tab then enter your moto's model and year. That information will then appear below all your posts to let readers know what you might be riding, restoring or repairing without having to backtrack to find out.

This is clearly a fix for the later style. Those with the earlier style (me) are left, I suppose, to try and find replacement pins which is what I am still in search of.

11Back to top Go down   Duratech waterproof fuel pump 4 pin connector replacement.  Empty 85 k100 rs Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:13 pm

Spexbike

Spexbike
1985 K100 RS    
I have the 4 pin connector,makes sense that they stopped using them since they are often not working properly after years and years. I just thought you had an alternative for the 4 pin population. I took the 4 pin connector from the non existing alarm system and gonna solder that in,Sorry, didn't understand you had a later model. THX for responding though,much appreciated!

http://www.spextattoo.com/

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
RS Rider wrote:This is clearly a fix for the later style. 
It might be clear to you, RS, but it wasn't clear to me. That's why I sought an answer from Spex.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum