BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   K1100LT LED sidelight Empty K1100LT LED sidelight Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:53 am

Bazsm

Bazsm
About 4 years ago I followed one of the DIYs to fit an LED strip into the sidelight section of the fairing by sidecar Paul. It was very successful but recently one of the joints dried out so I had to go back in and re-solder which was a pain. I also looked at the comparative complexity of the solution as it uses LEDs from a torch and sidecar’s post no longer has the diagram.

Has anyone come up with a more recent solution that might use 12v LEDs as I guess they would be brighter and an easier install - think I read that COB LEDs were the future but that was a while ago as well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2Back to top Go down   K1100LT LED sidelight Empty Re: K1100LT LED sidelight Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:20 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
If you want to blind the opposition, CREE leds are the ones to use. These days you can get sticky-back strips of SMD leds which are pretty bright - see ebay. Something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1M-LED-Light-Strip-Kitchen-Lighting-5050-SMD-Commercial-Lights-Strip-Cool-White/302894422742?hash=item4685ea1ad6:g:hngAAOSwqsxbg5SH

They're fed from a common rail running up either side of the strip and can be shortened to suit. If you cut very carefully into the soft 'jelly' about 3mm in from the side and about 5-6mm long, you can expose the copper strips that form the common rails and solder new wires to them.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

3Back to top Go down   K1100LT LED sidelight Empty Re: K1100LT LED sidelight Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:59 am

Bazsm

Bazsm
Dai wrote:If you want to blind the opposition, CREE leds are the ones to use

Thanks for the suggestion, I’m not looking to blind anyone! My main interest in updating my LED is that it’s quite an involved little install as the LED strip in the DIY was out of one of those domestic LED torches so not 12v. After having to re-solder a joint I just looked at it and thought if it fails I can’t replace it in the same way as the DIY has lost its images and I didn’t keep a record of what I used. 

If I can just fit a similar 12v strip it will be a simple plug in.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum