BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   How much play? Empty How much play? Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:04 pm

EnJCoop

EnJCoop
Silver member
Silver member
Hi all,
I suspected a faulty crown wheel bearing and took the final drive apart.
I actually couldn't really feel any play in it.
The smaller roller bearing however seemed to have way too much play in it, but then I don't know how much is too much.How much play? Img_1810
This is me squeezing the tapered bearing and the outer race moving a lot it seems to me...
What do you think?
How do I get it off and how do I extract the seat in the other half of the final drive?
Any answers appreciated.
Neal

2Back to top Go down   How much play? Empty Re: How much play? Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:09 pm

EnJCoop

EnJCoop
Silver member
Silver member
Otherwise the whole thing looked in pretty good shape to me...How much play? Img_1811

3Back to top Go down   How much play? Empty Re: How much play? Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:10 pm

EnJCoop

EnJCoop
Silver member
Silver member
How much play? Img_1812

4Back to top Go down   How much play? Empty Re: How much play? Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:19 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The play you get like that means nothing it will reduce to almost nothing when assembled. You can tell more about wear on a roller bearing by looking at the state of the bearing surface of the cup which is the bit that is difficult to get out. To me it looks fairly worn because of the colour of the wearing surface, a dull grey and not bright silver. If you replace that bearing then you will need to reset the gears using shims etc. Best left to an expert.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

5Back to top Go down   How much play? Empty Re: How much play? Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:29 pm

EnJCoop

EnJCoop
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks for that. So the play would not account for very small amount of play when trying to move the rear wheel as described in the manual - gripping in the 12 oclock 6 oclock position and pushing/pulling?

6Back to top Go down   How much play? Empty Re: How much play? Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:55 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
It is quite possible as only a small amount of play in the bearing would account for even 1mm of play at the wheel extremities. To me that bearing is on the way out but it is very hard to say when the item is not in my hand. Take it to a bearing place they should know.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

7Back to top Go down   How much play? Empty Re: How much play? Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:48 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
My friend over here who rebuilds final drives did say once you feel any play at the rear wheel you have trouble and if you get it early you save the final drive. The only part at that point to replace seems to be the bearing. In my case I was sensitive to a very minor difference in feel and had asked him for a second opinion as at that point it felt different but felt like it had no play in it.

I am with RickG on what he posted. The trick on reassembly is to get that point where there is no play but its not binding.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

8Back to top Go down   How much play? Empty Re: How much play? Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:10 am

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
To remove the outer bearing race from the hub requires a 'blind hole' puller. This uses an expanding collet to grip on the fine chamfer on the bearing and a slide hammer to provide the shock to pull the bearing out.

Such as:
 http://sykes-pickavant.com/products/pullers-and-separators/mechanical-pullers-and-kits/856

If you are a member of The BMW Club (UK) then they have a tool hire facility which has the required special tools.

Mike

9Back to top Go down   How much play? Empty Re: How much play? Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:11 pm

Snod Blatter

Snod Blatter
Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:It is quite possible as only a small amount of play in the bearing would account for even 1mm of play at the wheel extremities.
This, I had 1mm of play at the outside of the tyre but to handle the crown wheel bearing you wouldn't have known anything was wrong. The only giveaway is it feels a bit rough when you spin the outer race.

The tapered bearing is loose like that and hardly ever seems to wear, I wouldn't worry about it.

10Back to top Go down   How much play? Empty Re: How much play? Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:53 pm

EnJCoop

EnJCoop
Silver member
Silver member
OK I get what you're saying. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

11Back to top Go down   How much play? Empty Re: How much play? Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:55 pm

EnJCoop

EnJCoop
Silver member
Silver member
mike d wrote:To remove the outer bearing race from the hub requires a 'blind hole' puller. This uses an expanding collet to grip on the fine chamfer on the bearing and a slide hammer to provide the shock to pull the bearing out.

Such as:
 http://sykes-pickavant.com/products/pullers-and-separators/mechanical-pullers-and-kits/856

If you are a member of The BMW Club (UK) then they have a tool hire facility which has the required special tools.

Mike
Thanks Mike. Cheers for the link too!

12Back to top Go down   How much play? Empty Re: How much play? Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:59 pm

EnJCoop

EnJCoop
Silver member
Silver member

What do you all think of this? I found it very informative.

13Back to top Go down   How much play? Empty Re: How much play? Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:09 pm

Snod Blatter

Snod Blatter
Life time member
Life time member
It's the best guide around! A guy on here recently cut his old bearing off (or he was going to..?), might be a good way to attack the most difficult part of the process.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum