BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Cooling system Empty Cooling system Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:01 am

Adiwan Djohanli

Adiwan Djohanli
Silver member
Silver member
Hello Guys,

My bike is running reasonably well now. Thanks to all of you who have guided and advice me regarding this bike.

Next is regarding the temperature / cooling system. The fan is ON automatically after about 25 minutes run, the pointer temp. gauge is nearly half. Around 10 minutes of fan running, the gauge drops to slightly above the "blue" zone of the gauge. But the fan is still running and the over heat indicator light on dash board is also ON/OFF.

I think the temperature sensor below front part of engine is working OK. Then I shall check the other sensor as advised.

I appreciate any comment, input and advice.

Regards

2Back to top Go down   Cooling system Empty Re: Cooling system Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:26 am

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Adiwan and I would be a little concerned about the temperature light coming on but only if it is confirmed with the temperature gauge.
I have read plenty of reports of these bikes in very hot climates and other than the rider getting hot due to airflow and hot tanks no consistent mention of overheating.
K-Bike's idea of an infra-red thermometer will also give you a better idea and they are available quite cheaply: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.29079

The only problem is we can't get these into Australia because of the laser sight!

3Back to top Go down   Cooling system Empty Re: Cooling system Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:31 am

Adiwan Djohanli

Adiwan Djohanli
Silver member
Silver member
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the input.

IR Temp Gauge is available here from Ace Hardware for around USD50, but made in China Surprised

I shall report back the outcome.

Thanks.

4Back to top Go down   Cooling system Empty Re: Cooling system Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:22 am

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
phil_mars wrote:Hi Adiwan and I would be a little concerned about the temperature light coming on but only if it is confirmed with the temperature gauge.
I have read plenty of reports of these bikes in very hot climates and other than the rider getting hot due to airflow and hot tanks no consistent mention of overheating.
K-Bike's idea of an infra-red thermometer will also give you a better idea and they are available quite cheaply: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.29079

The only problem is we can't get these into Australia because of the laser sight!
1. I got one from HK or China through Ebay for something like $40 delivered. I also have one at work, a much more expensive one, but they read the same.

2. I said this before, but I had the same problem with the light. The solution was a new fan motor. The old one was running slow due to bad brushes and dry bearings. they should run at 4200 rpm (read noisy).

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (naked)
1997 BMW K1200RS red, VIN: WB10544A1VZA22667

5Back to top Go down   Cooling system Empty Re: Cooling system Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:36 am

Adiwan Djohanli

Adiwan Djohanli
Silver member
Silver member
Hello Ned,

Thanks for the advice. I shall check the fan too.

Cheers.

6Back to top Go down   Cooling system Empty Re: Cooling system Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:00 pm

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
Hi there, regarding that the fan goes in afther 25 minuts runing, you mean with the bike still or moving? because wen the bike is runing free even at hig (35C+) ambient temps, fan is not suposed to turn on. With the bike still and at iddle fan should cut off afther arount 1 minute. Otherwise you may have problems with the cooling system, ie radiator cap, thermostat etc.
Please let us know.
Best regards
JAP

7Back to top Go down   Cooling system Empty Re: Cooling system Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:12 am

Adiwan Djohanli

Adiwan Djohanli
Silver member
Silver member
Hello Jap,

The fan goes after 25 minutes while the the bike is moving. The fan does not stop even the temp. gauge already dropped to nearly the "blue" zone in the gauge.

I just fitted the thermostat, 76.5 C.

I will report back after I check the related component.

Thanks and regards.

8Back to top Go down   Cooling system Empty Re: Cooling system Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:09 am

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
Adiwan Djohanli wrote:Hello Jap,

The fan goes after 25 minutes while the the bike is moving. The fan does not stop even the temp. gauge already dropped to nearly the "blue" zone in the gauge.

I just fitted the thermostat, 76.5 C.

I will report back after I check the related component.

Thanks and regards.
Hi,
A couple things :
a. I think that you should nail down the temperature readings. I would be keen to validate that the gauge is showing the correct temp. In my case the running temperature on the gauge is when the needle points vertically (centre marker). I believe it because I've checked the readings using the point and read thermometer.
b. 76C thermostat? What kind? The correct value is 85C and it is the kind that has a bypass valve closing flange. Without it chances are that not all the coolant is going through the radiator. The valve flange CLOSES the bypass path when the thermostat is fully open FORCING the flow through the radiator only. Secondly, 76C is just too far out. The thermostat is the thing that controls the warm up time and finally the running temp. That is just too cool even for 35C ambient. If you have it the Toyota has an 82C unit that fits well (early Corolla, see image).
Cooling system Thermostat

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (naked)
1997 BMW K1200RS red, VIN: WB10544A1VZA22667

9Back to top Go down   Cooling system Empty Re: Cooling system Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:21 am

Adiwan Djohanli

Adiwan Djohanli
Silver member
Silver member
Hello Ned,

I take your point. I will replace the thermostat with the 82 C one. The one fitted now is Toyota too but too low at 76.5 C.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers.

10Back to top Go down   Cooling system Empty Re: Cooling system Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:41 am

Adiwan Djohanli

Adiwan Djohanli
Silver member
Silver member
Hello Guys,

I changed the thermostat to 82C. I have been riding for the last few days when it is not raining.

So far the bike runs well, the overheat light on dashboard is good, not ON. The fan is still coming ON when the temp gauge over 1/3.

Overall the temperature indicator and fan are working well. I am pleased with the result so far.

Thanking you for all your advices, inputs and comments.

Best regards.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum