BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   radiator fan/starting problems Empty radiator fan/starting problems Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:43 am

bigdavergs

bigdavergs
Silver member
Silver member
Hello all, fitted Oxford heated grips to my K100rs 16v last week, started the bike to test the grips were heating, all working good. Took it to work next day, no problem a couple of hours later went to start and ride home and when I turned on the ignition switch, the radiator fan came on and there were no priming noises from the fuel pump. The bike turned over fine and when pushing the starter button, the fan stopped running, when I stopped pushing the starter, the fan came back on. In the blurb supplied in the Oxford kit, it says something about the standard wiring possibly being affected by the heated grip wiring. Anyone else had this problem, or is it just coincidence and a sensor had failed. I've had the water temp sensor fail on this bike and it was replaced about a year ago, so not sure about that. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance, Dave.

2Back to top Go down   radiator fan/starting problems Empty Re: radiator fan/starting problems Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:10 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Does the bike behave itself if you disconnect the grips? Where are the grips connected to?

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

3Back to top Go down   radiator fan/starting problems Empty Re: radiator fan/starting problems Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:46 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
What he said - what did you wire them up to?

All K bikes have a factory heated grip connector in the wiring harness under the left rear of the tank.  That's what I always use for aftermarket heated grips.

radiator fan/starting problems Hg.connector

radiator fan/starting problems Symtec9

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

4Back to top Go down   radiator fan/starting problems Empty Re: radiator fan/starting problems Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:03 am

bigdavergs

bigdavergs
Silver member
Silver member
Hello Dai and Duck, yes, bike was running nicely prior and I followed the Oxford grips wiring diagram, the two grips each have wiring that are plugged into a connector that then goes down to the battery, where it splits, one wire going to +ve one to -ve. I did faintly remember some other discussion about plugging them into the BMW wiring, but didn't consider it. Thanks for the comments, Dave.

5Back to top Go down   radiator fan/starting problems Empty Re: radiator fan/starting problems Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:23 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Pull ther inline fuse and see if the bike behaves itself again. I suspect the answer is going to be 'no', in which case we look further... Very Happy

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California

6Back to top Go down   radiator fan/starting problems Empty Re: radiator fan/starting problems Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:59 am

bigdavergs

bigdavergs
Silver member
Silver member
Hi Dai, pulled the inline fuse for the heated grips, radiator fan still came on when turning the ignition key. Have found though that there is a remote switch for the fan hidden underneath the handlebars. The wiring for this goes down to the fan relay in the relay box. I'm going to pull this out and see what this does. Cheers again, Dave.

7Back to top Go down   radiator fan/starting problems Empty Re: radiator fan/starting problems Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:41 pm

bigdavergs

bigdavergs
Silver member
Silver member
So, an update. Finally had some time to pull the remote fan switch and associated wiring out of the bike and rewired the grips to plug into the standard BMW heated grip plug. Turned the switch and the fan still comes on. Now, what controls the fan coming on, is it the water temp sensor? Is there another sensor that is turning on the fan, is the relay in the relay box stuffed? All suggestions welcome, cheers, Dave.

8Back to top Go down   radiator fan/starting problems Empty Re: radiator fan/starting problems Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:59 pm

Stumpy

Stumpy
Silver member
Silver member
The best way to check is to pull the relay, if it stops the fan then that will be the problem. Is it an original relay or a replacement?  I think I read somewhere that the original relays differ in pin layout from normal relays.

9Back to top Go down   radiator fan/starting problems Empty Re: radiator fan/starting problems Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:24 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
bigdavergs wrote: In the blurb supplied in the Oxford kit, it says something about the standard wiring possibly being affected by the heated grip wiring.
If this were happening on my moto, I'd correspond with Oxford to explain to them what's happening, ask them if this is the kind of wiring interference indicated in the blurb, and ask them to explain why it happens.

10Back to top Go down   radiator fan/starting problems Empty Re: radiator fan/starting problems Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:59 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Stumpy wrote:The best way to check is to pull the relay, if it stops the fan then that will be the problem. Is it an original relay or a replacement?  I think I read somewhere that the original relays differ in pin layout from normal relays.
You're right. Our dear old Ks are fitted with Din-1 standard relays, but yer over-the-counter jobbies are Din-2. The difference is that pin 86 and pin 37 are swapped round. If you get caught on the side of the road the get-out-of-jail free card is to punch out the spade terminals and swap them round.

11Back to top Go down   radiator fan/starting problems Empty Re: radiator fan/starting problems Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:24 am

bigdavergs

bigdavergs
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks for the replies gents, that gives me a couple of things to look at. I did think about messaging Oxford, might do it and see what they say. Thanks again, Dave.

12Back to top Go down   radiator fan/starting problems Empty Re: radiator fan/starting problems Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:50 am

bigdavergs

bigdavergs
Silver member
Silver member
Hi again, finally found some time to try and sort out this problem with fan coming on when the ignition switch is turned on. I pulled the fan relay and fan stopped coming on. Put it back and fan came on. Bought a new, original relay from uk supplier, fitted it, turned on ignition switch, fan came on. Back to square one. Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks in advance, Dave.

13Back to top Go down   radiator fan/starting problems Empty Re: radiator fan/starting problems Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:14 am

Gaz

Gaz
Life time member
Life time member
Had a quick look at the wiring diagram for the K1100 which is probably close to the 16V K100 and it looks to me that the Motronic unit energises the fan relay by providing a ground.

If that is correct then I would check the harness between the fan relay and the Motronic unit (I don't have the pinouts handy) to see if the Blue/Yellow wire has rubbed through somewhere and is touching the frame thereby energising the fan relay as soon as you turn on the ignition.

Cheers

Last edited by Gaz on Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

14Back to top Go down   radiator fan/starting problems Empty Re: radiator fan/starting problems Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:14 pm

Arlina

Arlina

15Back to top Go down   radiator fan/starting problems Empty Re: radiator fan/starting problems Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:26 pm

Gaz

Gaz
Life time member
Life time member
To test my theory using Arlina's info you would unplug the harness from the Motronic unit and remove the fan relay, then test with an ohm meter between pin 16 on the Motronic plug and the bike frame/ground. If you have continuity (zero or very low ohms) between those two points you have your problem (I believe) and you just have to find where the fault is.

Cheers

16Back to top Go down   radiator fan/starting problems Empty Re: radiator fan/starting problems Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:28 pm

bigdavergs

bigdavergs
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks Gaz and Arlina, i'll check out your suggestions and see what happens. Cheers, Dave.

17Back to top Go down   radiator fan/starting problems Empty Re: radiator fan/starting problems Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:00 pm

bigdavergs

bigdavergs
Silver member
Silver member
Problem fixed. Thanks for all the advice etc, turned out to be the water temp sensor. Didn't check or think about it because of the symptoms. As they say,"It's never done that before". Had a couple of sensors go on 8v k100s over the years and they just wont start, never had the rad fan coming on as a symptom. Thanks again all, Dave.

18Back to top Go down   radiator fan/starting problems Empty Re: radiator fan/starting problems Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:41 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for the update with your results. cheers

19Back to top Go down   radiator fan/starting problems Empty Re: radiator fan/starting problems Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:59 am

Arlina

Arlina
Razz  Just today somewhere else I learned that the fan can go nuts with a bad sensor....

20Back to top Go down   radiator fan/starting problems Empty Re: radiator fan/starting problems Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:01 pm

volador

volador
Platinum member
Platinum member
Arlina wrote:Razz  Just today somewhere else I learned that the fan can go nuts with a bad sensor....
Replace the bugger.

21Back to top Go down   radiator fan/starting problems Empty Re: radiator fan/starting problems Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:22 pm

Arlina

Arlina
volador wrote:
Arlina wrote:Razz  Just today somewhere else I learned that the fan can go nuts with a bad sensor....
Replace the bugger.
lol!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum