BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

101Back to top Go down   Vacuum modification - Page 3 Empty Re: Vacuum modification Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:30 am

MartinW

Life time member
Life time member
We finally had our K Kronies WorKshop. Dan reported back on the vacuum mod to his K100 and the only thing he had to say was that he thought it started a bit easier. Dan did the conversion on Bruce's and we put a vacuum gauge on it before and after with interesting results. Before mod large erratic needle swings and with restrictor reads around 35 KPA, after mod mild needle swing and with a restrictor 30 KPA. Bruce after his second road test due to his throttle mechanism being fouled by one of the new hoses in the first test. Reported he was satisfied with the modification. He reported that throttle lag had gone and believes it might be better at slow speed stop go. He will do more slow testing later in the week. He reckons the mod was worthwhile. Jury is still out on whether it's worthwhile in K100's. I might see if another K Kronie with a K100 is willing to be a victim.
Regards Martin.

Last edited by MartinW on Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:27 am; edited 1 time in total

102Back to top Go down   Vacuum modification - Page 3 Empty Vacuum modification Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:26 am

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Ok Martin I was wrong with my wishful thinking guess that this modification might help with the occasional backfiring issue on your brick. Hopefully not too off topic but have you ever replaced the copper gaskets in the headers?

103Back to top Go down   Vacuum modification - Page 3 Empty Re: Vacuum modification Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:37 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Dave the backfiring on my bike is self induced. It only happens if I leave the throttle cracked open on over run down hills. I checked for exhaust leaks when I was chasing the backfiring problem and the only leak was between the header pipes and the muffler. This was cured by fitting one of the new carbon gaskets which had replaced the pixelated fairy dust original gasket.
Regards Martin.

104Back to top Go down   Vacuum modification - Page 3 Empty Re: Vacuum modification Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:57 am

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Martin, You said you had an automotive vacuum gauge. Wouldn't those readings be in mmHg and not PSI?

http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

105Back to top Go down   Vacuum modification - Page 3 Empty Re: Vacuum modification Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:26 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Rob it's actually KPA I'll amend the post.
Regards Martin.

106Back to top Go down   Vacuum modification - Page 3 Empty Re: Vacuum modification Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:28 pm

Porto

Porto
Silver member
Silver member
I'll pass this on to Theo, who did the original mod years ago. He has had a stroke but is still understands well enough. Thanks for posting the results.

107Back to top Go down   Vacuum modification - Page 3 Empty Re: Vacuum modification Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:34 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I've just had feed back off Bruce (K75s). He is totally happy with the conversion and reports that there is no lag when he snaps open the throttle and it is no longer snatchy at on/off throttle when slow maneuvering. I'm still looking for another K100 2v victim volunteer.
Regards Martin.

108Back to top Go down   Vacuum modification - Page 3 Empty Re: Vacuum modification Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
MartinW wrote:I've just had feed back off Bruce (K75s). He is totally happy with the conversion and reports that there is no lag when he snaps open the throttle and it is no longer snatchy at on/off throttle when slow maneuvering. I'm still looking for another K100 2v victim volunteer.
Regards Martin.

Just to confirm that the backfiring on the 75 is a known issue related to that model.  More of a quirk of than a problem.  

Martin, when slow manoeuvring does anyone else use the throttle & rear brake combination?  That is vigorous use of the rear brake and revving the throttle with the brake used to control the steering.  Particularly effective in car parks or quick turns and prevents the need for putting the feet down.  It also prevents the need to snap the throttle open and closed but needs practice to perfect it though.

109Back to top Go down   Vacuum modification - Page 3 Empty Re: Vacuum modification Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:13 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I've used the throttle and clutch combination but I do try to avoid slipping a dry clutch. I haven't tried the throttle and rear brake combo. However with the vacuum mod I haven't had any problems with slow maneuvering since. I'm not sure if Bruce has tried it.
Regards Martin.

110Back to top Go down   Vacuum modification - Page 3 Empty Re: Vacuum modification Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:23 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
One change I've noticed with LFB is that whereas it used to take a couple of revolutions to fire the engine, it now starts pretty much instantaneously. That could also be partly down to having the right fuel pressure too.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

111Back to top Go down   Vacuum modification - Page 3 Empty Re: Vacuum modification Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:27 am

Porto

Porto
Silver member
Silver member
Yeah I do Tackler. Also the clutch, especially when your all but stopped. It's the System Police use and it is most definitely proven to be the best. The K clutch is excellent and light and you can pretty much use a high idle amount of reves and then clutch and brake. Check out the police rider training on utube, there are a bunch of them to watch. Cheerz

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum