BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


bobliu

bobliu
active member
active member
Hello everyone, finally got my k100 up running after a year I purchased it, fuel pump was busted and then the ground wire was corroded so the bike wouldn't even crank. Took a while to diagnose and found out it was simply the ground wire.
Moving on to rebuilding the front master cylinder, it has been leaking for a while now, and I finally got time to fix it. Took everything apart and was wondering whether this is still salvageable.
1985 K100 Front Master Cylinder Rebuild Master10
1985 K100 Front Master Cylinder Rebuild Master12
1985 K100 Front Master Cylinder Rebuild Master11
The surface where the reservoir and the cylinder meet (where the oring on the reservoir sits) has a lot of build up, very hard to clean off, not even sure what it is. There's also build up in the cylinder, paper towel and brush has not worked. At this point should I try to clean it or should I just source something used? How should I be cleaning it if it's still can be saved?

Thanks in advance!

    

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member


__________________________________________________
Current stable:
86 Custom K100 (standard fairing, K75 Belly pan, Ceramic chromed engine covers, paralever)
K75 Frankenbrick (Paralever, K11 front end, hybrid ABS, K1100RS fairing, radial tires)
86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com
    

bobliu

bobliu
active member
active member

    

Michael Sydney

Michael Sydney
Silver member
Silver member
Be sure to get that area between reservoir and M/C properly clean and fit a new O ring. I see often the M/C repair kit does not include that single O ring and any leaks will remove paint from tank and fairings  ........ Ask me how I know Sad


__________________________________________________
Living in the past! K100 '83 and R65 '83.
    

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
We have a local guy that fits stainless steel sleeves and makes a new piston. Last time I checked it was $200.00 Au once done the replacement kit is around $10.00 Au. He tests and Guarantees his work and does ship overseas.
Regards Martin.
1985 K100 Front Master Cylinder Rebuild Boots_14


__________________________________________________
K75s Hybrid
    

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Michael Sydney wrote:Be sure to get that area between reservoir and M/C properly clean and fit a new O ring. I see often the M/C repair kit does not include that single O ring and any leaks will remove paint from tank and fairings  ........ Ask me how I know Sad

Good point.  Through experience I learned long ago that it's best to just leave the reservoir in place on top of the master cylinder if it's not leaking.  Once you disturb that O-ring it will usually start leaking until replaced.


__________________________________________________
Current stable:
86 Custom K100 (standard fairing, K75 Belly pan, Ceramic chromed engine covers, paralever)
K75 Frankenbrick (Paralever, K11 front end, hybrid ABS, K1100RS fairing, radial tires)
86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com
    

bobliu

bobliu
active member
active member
Michael Sydney wrote:Be sure to get that area between reservoir and M/C properly clean and fit a new O ring. I see often the M/C repair kit does not include that single O ring and any leaks will remove paint from tank and fairings  ........ Ask me how I know Sad
Yea, I should probably buy an entire unit as the aluminum part where the Oring sits in is pitted from oxidization as well

    

bobliu

bobliu
active member
active member
MartinW wrote:We have a local guy that fits stainless steel sleeves and makes a new piston. Last time I checked it was $200.00 Au once done the replacement kit is around $10.00 Au. He tests and Guarantees his work and does ship overseas.
Regards Martin.
1985 K100 Front Master Cylinder Rebuild Boots_14
It's a little hard sourcing a new master cylinder here in the US

    

bobliu

bobliu
active member
active member
Updates, bought an ultrasonic cleaner and damn it worked well, removed all the oxidization or whatever buildup that was,and exposed the pitted aluminum surface.

1985 K100 Front Master Cylinder Rebuild 110
1985 K100 Front Master Cylinder Rebuild 210

Put everything back and it started leaking right away, have a new piston but do you guys all think I should just source another master cylinder?

    

brickrider2

brickrider2
Life time member
Life time member


__________________________________________________
1996 K1100LT
    

bobliu

bobliu
active member
active member
Thnx! saw this one too, by looking at the cylinder it seems like the paint is corroded, which probably means there was some leaking too?

    

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Smearing silicone grease around the entry to the master cylinder helps reduce the chance of corrosion. Packing silicone grease under the rear master cylinder rubber boot reduces the chance of corrosion via water ingress, and helps lengthen the life of the boot.
Regards Martin.


__________________________________________________
K75s Hybrid
    

brickrider2

brickrider2
Life time member
Life time member
The m/c offered on Ebay doesn't look too bad to me. However, buying on that site is always something of a roll of the dice.  But, the seller does claim it's in very good shape and his/her rating on EBay is 100% satisfaction. 
1985 K100 Front Master Cylinder Rebuild 652573 Ya pays yer money and takes yer chances.


__________________________________________________
1996 K1100LT
    

Michael Sydney

Michael Sydney
Silver member
Silver member
The M/C listed on eBay is marked "ABS". I would assume this means  it is not compatible with the OP's 1985 bike?


__________________________________________________
Living in the past! K100 '83 and R65 '83.
    

bobliu

bobliu
active member
active member
MartinW wrote:Smearing silicone grease around the entry to the master cylinder helps reduce the chance of corrosion. Packing silicone grease under the rear master cylinder rubber boot reduces the chance of corrosion via water ingress, and helps lengthen the life of the boot.
Regards Martin.
Thanks for the advice!

    

bobliu

bobliu
active member
active member
brickrider2 wrote:The m/c offered on Ebay doesn't look too bad to me. However, buying on that site is always something of a roll of the dice.  But, the seller does claim it's in very good shape and his/her rating on EBay is 100% satisfaction. 
1985 K100 Front Master Cylinder Rebuild 652573 Ya pays yer money and takes yer chances.
it's kind of surprising to me that there are only two related sales on ebay

    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum