BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

keithnh

keithnh
One of the reasons I scooped my 85 k100 was the paint color intrigued me ... I had never seen green on a a beamer before and I liked the hunter green shade. My dads R60 was black almost tho I think really dark blue. My 84 R65 a kind of "electric" blue. The K100 is hunter green BMW paint code 606 per under the seat label. 3 of the 4 signals were gone and the back fiberglass broken. Have already gotten replacements for all except small frame side covers. Back section is wrong color tho and has a different "mini-sissy-bar +passenger backrest arrangement" vs a black flatter cargo bar setup. The BMW emblem is faded .. I will need to replace it. Will be a pretty bike even with scratched but unbroken front fiberglass. Im not sure it even runs as I dont have a key yet but has only 59000 miles on and looks very straight. Hopefully it runs .. when I get key I will take it to my Harley bud's shop and change out filters, engine oil and check coolant and other oil levels. Have already scoped out bags and bag mounts and a lowering shock as it is a bit high for my comfort .. has a progressive shock on it which is not factory. I will have to make sure drivetrain is intact before I go hog-wild with it Smile Was remembering riding on the back of my dad's guzzi 750(after the r60) thinking this might be a cut above that .. hoping anyway.

Wondering if anyone knows how to get ahold of the correct factory paint? 1985 K100 code 606 in particular??

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
There are a lot of paint shops around that will have the code or can colour match. I have had it done a few times and it's its been very good.
Also you can find lots of info on paint here http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/colourschemes.htm

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
As far as color codes, I have not had a lot of success finding a local paint supplier who has them for BMW motorcycles.  Cars, yes, but not the bikes.  It seems that bikes in general, and beemers in particular fly under the radar of the big paint companies.

Having said that, you might have some luck at a BASF paint dealer, as BMW allegedly used BASF's Glasurit system in the factory. 

If you can take a part to a paint supplier, most of them can get a fairly good match without having the book of the codes. 

There is a place here in the U.S. where I've gotten paint, and they claim to have all the codes and can match the tri-coat systems that many K bikes were painted with.

https://cyclecolor.com/

Their web site is a bit of a mashup, but they have gotten me good color matches for Mystic Red and Dakar Yellow touchup paint.  They also have the tri-coat for painting body parts.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

keithnh

keithnh
I believe that tank is steel and all other "color" on the bike fiberglass. The tank is really not boogered too bad. I think paint procedures on fiber glass are a little less critical. The local auto parts place has a color matching tool, I may have them match and make me a rattle-can or 2 of single stage color and clear, see what that does. If right I will have a code for paint from them for a better job. Wont mess with steel tank, just clean and polish ... if I like it I can strip and repaint better after testing and unbugging the bike.

I am restoring a 30th anniversary Harley Sportster and did the color with powdercoat which turned out beautifully with a 1957 color shade. I dont know how powder does on fiberglass tho.

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
keithnh wrote:I believe that tank is steel and all other "color" on the bike fiberglass.
If the tank is an OEM Brick tank, it's aluminum.

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Finding the correct paint for touch-up / repaint 88426512
Colour code 606 Alaska Blue

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 49,200 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 63,390 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
I'm with Olaf, the only colour scheme I know of in 606 is a scheme not a code, a paint code is different to a label stuck to the rear cowl on a K100. That label is for the scheme for the whole bike. Appears as Alaska Blue in BMW Paint Schemes. Was that Label stuck to the seat or the Cowl?

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Sticker on the painted surface of the duck tail under the seat has a sticker with 606 on it. Can't get you a photo as the bike is in Spain.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 63,390 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

keithnh

keithnh
Well drove bike today ... signals inop and no mirrors. Feels very nice and the pleasant straight as an arrow feel going down the road that puts smile on my face every time, same as my r65. Feels like a tiger to me tho, far more power than R65 ... some grittiness near 100mph but still straight as arrow and much more throttle to go. Not sure where "grittiness" coming from? Havent fully read the manual not even sure how many gears, wasnt counting really just enjoying the feel again. I know was hard to find top gear on r65, I think I did get it on k100 today .. was same trouble as r65. Maybe same transmission, apparently I read now both 5-speeds. I like the feel of her so she's a keeper, will try fixing her myself when/if she breaks. She was apparently repainted the green from "Ice blue something" per VIN and dealer info, I love the green so that will be her color hereafter. Need the correct mirrors to get a sticker and signals fixed. Will just ride her as a rat till season over ... seat and paint this winter.

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Good to hear your bike is running well. 

Regarding the grittiness, do a complete tune up including valves and throttle body balance.  That can do a lot for the smoothness of the engine.  I've found that wheel balance can add a bit of vibration as well.

Yes, BMW transmissions can be a little hard to shift.  I would suggest pulling the transmission and lubing the clutch splines and mixing a tablespoon of molybdenum disulfide powder in the transmission oil when you change it.  After a hundred miles or so, the molybdenum will coat the surfaces in the transmission and make the shifting a lot easier.  Nascar teams use it in their transmissions, and they have found it lowers the operating temperature of the transmission significantly.

Past:
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
Maybe same transmission,

No, totally different.

Mike

keithnh

keithnh
Apparently there is a difference between models in mirror setup. It appears some have mirrors built into front turn signal "blisters" while some such as mine have smaller signal blisters and stick mirrors. Was looking at max bmw parts fiche and it showed the stick mirrors and attachment parts as 1-4 on a diagram illustration but did not show the item numbers in the PN and nomenclature box below. Figured I would get the correct BMW stick mirrors but it is possible they are no longer available? Not sure why they show in one place and not the other. Max closed today. I have sticks on my R65 that work fine.

Bike still at shop ... will drive home today to get her sticker ready in my basement shop. Have yet to change oils, was thinking of coolant too. Will add molyebdenum sulfide .. assuming that is similar to using moly enhanced oils for flat tappet cams in cars so cam wear is minimized. Dont think coolant it was low as there was some in overflow tank. I put up to halfway between min and max and poured some in the fill cap to find where it was, was near top already, I may have over-filled it as after driving I was smelling anti-freeze slightly but not seeing it. ?? Mightve spilled a drop or 2 but didnt think so.

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
keithnh wrote: Will add molyebdenum sulfide .. assuming that is similar to using moly enhanced oils for flat tappet cams in cars so cam wear is minimized. 
There is anecdotal evidence that moly added to crankcase oil will cause the starter sprag clutch to slip. Mix with gearbox oil/rear drive oil but don't overdo it.
keithnh wrote:Apparently there is a difference between models in the mirror setup. . . .Some such as mine have smaller signal blisters.
You have entered in your profile that you have an '85 K100 and you've described it as having a fairing but we don't know whether it is an RS model, an RT model or a hybrid creation including aftermarket parts. The RS and RT have built-in signals on the mirror housings. The naked K100 has signals on stalks attached to the headlight cowl and mirrors on stalks. The mirror stalks vary in length and can be found along with their prices in the K100 section of Max's fiche. The integrated signal/mirror housing can be found in the K100RT or K100RS sections of the fiche but usually only obtained second hand. 

If you haven't checked the last seven digits of your moto's serial number in the VIN checker at realoem, now's the time to do it. Scroll down to choose Motorcycle/Classic then enter the number. Once you've determined what you own, click on the Profile tab in the head of this page. In the next screen that appears, click the Signature tab then enter your moto's model and year. That information will thereafter appear at the bottom of all your posts to let readers know what you might be riding, restoring, or repairing without their having to backtrack to find out.

A photo would be helpful. Instructions are in the Forum Functionality section.

keithnh

keithnh
Finding the correct paint for touch-up / repaint Img_0410
There it is Smile got lucky will have to work on this abit.

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Nice color, looks like British Racing Green.  Gold pinstriping would look really elegant on it.

Past:
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

keithnh

keithnh
I like simplicity, she will look good when I have every piece and all that color. May not be a BMW color so I guess she will be a rat Smile  but my rat.  I took the simple route on Sportster and powdered my sky blue color, everyone at shop said "You'll ruin it" but they drool over it now, at least the pieces as its still in a basket. Think they're even trying to swipe it .. was trying to smooth it out to be my R65's American big step-brother ... ported bathtub 1100 heads over 1200cc, hand balanced 2pc wheelset will possibly add Balance Masters to, full roller, big cams, dual rotor 41mm forks in 39mm trees, Zippers trap door and several bearing up grades. Now for peanuts just found R65's real big brother in K100. Guess it will be interesting to see how the bikes compare, and if I improved the sport to anything near the beamers. K100 feels to me like closest thing to exactly what I want in a bike, smooth strong and fun to drive .. fast enough to scare me. Didnt find heated grips like my R65 tho.

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
keithnh wrote:. . . just found R65's real big brother in K100.
More like its mutant cousin. Laughing

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Point-Seven-five wrote:Nice color, looks like British Racing Green.  Gold pinstriping would look really elegant on it.
British racing green,[1] or BRG, is a colour similar to Brunswick greenhunter greenforest green or moss green (RAL 6005). It takes its name from the green international motor racing colour of the United Kingdom. This originated with the 1903 Gordon Bennett Cup, held in Ireland (then still part of the UK), as motor-racing was illegal in England. As a mark of respect, the British cars were painted shamrock green.   Shamrock

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

keithnh

keithnh
Wow thats cool! I dont know how the color got on my bike but I love it and it sure looks to me like it belongs there. Looked up my ancestry and am supposed to be highland Scot on one side mostly German on the other although family name tracked thru Ireland and on to new world in middle ages ... am an ex-marine as well, maybe thats why I like green so much Smile Have a pretty green Western Star 4964 tractor-trailer truck a similar color and a 94 Caddy Eldo.

keithnh

keithnh
Picked up my bike yesterday and drove home. The guy, supposedly my friend, who sold it to me told he had taken it out and done figure eights with it burning rubber off the rear tire. I thought he was joking but there were 2 oil puddles under the bike where it had sat for several weeks with no puddles not even a drop. A buddy of his said he did it too. It smoked initially when I drove it home but his girlfriend said it stopped after about 1/2 mile, she was giving me a ride back. Im a bit stunned but looking at it as "it is what it is". What could be losing oil and how much damage has been done. He will never touch bike again. There were 2 6-8 inch wet spots one under front of engine and one about 20 inches back directly under bike. Both engine oil from the smell/ look, feel I believe. I hadnt had it over 4500rpm driving it, one little near 100 whack. Might've lost a friend, maybe one I never really had anyway. Guess I made a mistake telling him it ran like a "tiger" and leaving the key in it at his shop. Bike ran ok going home, just wondering where to start looking for damage.

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
First off, it's not unusual for these bikes to smoke when they have been sitting on the sidestand for a day or two.  A little oil runs down past the rings and burns when you start up up.  Part of the bike's charm.

These bikes will run at redline all day.  I wouldn't worry about it.  Probably just loosened up the rings and the injectors to make the bike run a little better.  It's called an Italian tuneup.

Oil leaks.  The o-ring at the rear of the engine at the clutch gets hard with age and will leak sooner or later.  It's a fairly common problem and one of the things most owners have to service on a "new" bike. 

Oil at the front of the engine is more of a problem.  It usually means the shaft seal on the oil pump is beginning to leak requiring that the pump be rebuilt.  Again, a fairly common issue with these old machines.  Will be a good winter project.

Past:
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

moriarti

moriarti
Life time member
Life time member
Dont Panic and don't shoot your mate(well not yet)clean the oil off, brake/clutch cleaner is good.Place clean cardboard underbike and run engine for a while,leave overnight and then look.Sump plug, oil pressure switch, filter housing cover.Looking straight at water/oil pump cover,if there is oil leaking from 2 /3 oclock position then it needs fixing.Doing what your mate did was stupid but shouldn't have caused the leaks.Ks love to REV,so no worries there best of luck Very Happy Very Happy

keithnh

keithnh
Checked realoem it went to another bmw site which said my vin is 1885 BMW K100 RS. I think alot of fiberglass parts missing and most there have some slight "character". Think engine fairing, both small side fairings and seat surround and mounts are gone. Have some new(used) pieces to fit to bike and get painted. Been hurt for almost 2 yrs, cant do much wi/right arm so just getting back to bike. Starter pushbutton not making good contact, trying to figure how to bring it back to serviceability, have to push many times before it will crank, took apart big mistake Smile first lost spring and then screw, found both again with magnet .. may try to solder little cross bars the pbutton brings together, see a whole control online, wouldnt hurt to have a spare, seems kinda chinsy for BMW. Wonder if an aftermarket improvement. Trying to follow all steps in clymers to remove tank, change fuel air and oil filters and oil. Trying to also find correct seat mounts as apparently there were different setups, most of mine gone worn Corbin seat was just "sitting" on bike. See some online I will grab today as they may be right.

Mick67

Mick67
Silver member
Silver member

keithnh

keithnh
Thanks Mick, really I am happy with the bikes color, it was a repaint to British Racing Green and I just like it, alot, tho it needs redoing. Basically a mostly complete basket I am gathering non original parts for it on a budget and will most likely try a BRG repaint when I get the ones that are missing myself with help of a bodywork friend. When running it rides nice so am focusing on that part now. I did get a rear fiberglass piece that is different from mine and has built-in short sissy bar. Like the non sissy on the bike better. Bike one is broken and missing parts, might try surgery to repair. Would like to get engine fairing and sidebags, there is groove for small windscreen would be a good idea to find, bugs hit hard @ 100+ mph Smile  wish there was a place I could see the various model variations body pieces. Just got the R and L small covers, bought stick mirrors awhile ago and like them. both front signals and one rear broken off, bike was pulled out of woods by tow co that sold it to me. Seat is Corbin needs redone if I can locate correct mounts a local girl does seats over.

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
My K bikes all came with paragraphs. It's a shame that yours didn't.  Laughing

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I've made seat hinges in the past. If you have access to either an Arc/ MIG or gas welder then all you need is basic workshop tools, as in a hammer, a vice, a drill, hacksaw and a shifter to twist the hinge then have a go. The first one turned out pretty rough but functional. The more I did the better they were. I had a BMW K1100 comfort seat and had to make the hinges to fit to my K75s. Unfortunately sold the seat along with the hinges. However I do have a few piccies of some homemade hinges and the roughie. 
Regards Martin.Finding the correct paint for touch-up / repaint Seat_h16
Finding the correct paint for touch-up / repaint Seat_h11
Finding the correct paint for touch-up / repaint Seat_h17
Finding the correct paint for touch-up / repaint Seat_h18
Finding the correct paint for touch-up / repaint Seat_p15

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
It would be really cool if you could post a few photos of the bike so we could see what you have for a fairing and bodywork as well as getting some idea of the condition of the parts.

The one photo you did post shows an RS fairing lower but not the main part of the fairing.  The tail cowl and seat went through two configurations regarding the location of the hand holds at the rear of the seat.  A few photos would sure help us understand what you have.

Almost all of the parts you need can be found on eBay.  Once you learn the part names you can search on them.  A lot of the parts are common to the K1100 as well. 

Mirror pods for the RS can be a bit pricey.  If you can do a little with body filler, you can do a modification with fairing mounted turn signals and stalk mirrors.  I have seen photos of a few Bricks with this setup and in my opinion they look really good.  Those mirror pods have a way of making the bike look dated.

Past:
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

keithnh

keithnh
Thanks all for helpful comments .. will work on photos. Short on $ right now will order used seat mount set and spare start pb control if still there in week or 2. Not sure I can redo my start pb to my level of "serviceability", I want to be able to depend on it one push rain or shine, dont think replacement "innards" are available. Looks like K will be my summer ride this year as my Sportster is too many $ away. Need to get my R back together too, I was going to POR tank insides on it and redo fuel lines. R is very nice rider, not super fast tho wouldnt call a slouch Smile . Try to load pictures says documents only, not sure what http for image pb?? my photos say are .mov files?? Not good with photos.

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
keithnh wrote:. . .  wish there was a place I could see the various model variations body pieces.
If you haven't visited it previously, you might find Phil Hawksley's BMBikes site a useful source of information. This section doesn't show variations in close up but you can get the gist of the differences, although it won't show variations of fuel tanks, radiators, or seat cowls among models and years. Those are depicted in several posts in this forum and others involving classic Bricks.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum