BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Just thinking... Empty Just thinking... Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:53 am

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
For some reason, I've ended up pondering whether the K75 & K100 Fi modules could be interchangeable  bounce.

I'm thinking that fitting a K75 module onto a K100 would increase the fuel delivery by 33%.....ish, very ish  scratch

2Back to top Go down   Just thinking... Empty Thinking Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:32 am

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
And LP records turned at 33rpm ...ish.

Coincidence?

To remember your very very interesting link, I'm filing in my ethics folder, after my latest entry "Never date a woman who doesn't respect your wife"

3Back to top Go down   Just thinking... Empty Re: Just thinking... Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:52 am

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
"And LP records turned at 33rpm ...ish.
Coincidence?"

I arrive outside my front door, my dog is on the inside, he sees me, he wags his tail.
I knock on the door, he sees me knock, he barks because the knock tells him a stranger has arrived.
His learning is based on links he has made, he is hungry for links, we are hungry for links, all learning is links. What separates the dog from us is that he has no need and hence no ability to rationalise, and this prevents his further learning.

What you are doing is good, very good, but you need to rationalise a bit  Laughing

4Back to top Go down   Just thinking... Empty Re: Just thinking... Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:15 am

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
No.

Just thinking... Lenny_10 "Y'see George, if ya connect a K75 FI module to the AFM on a K100 doin' three thousand rpm, surely it's gonna think it's on a K75 doin' four thousand rpm an' it'll just bank fire the injectors the same!"

Just thinking... Lenny_11

5Back to top Go down   Just thinking... Empty Thinking Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:43 am

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Are you going to try it? I first thought it was a joke.

6Back to top Go down   Just thinking... Empty Re: Just thinking... Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:49 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
I'm not sure, but I think the difference that may cause problems is that the K75 has three coils, one for each cylinder, while the K100 has two coils with each one firing two cylinders. Ignition sync signals are probably different between models. Also, see the Hall Sensor Plates are different, so timing pulses may be incorrect.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

7Back to top Go down   Just thinking... Empty Re: Just thinking... Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:54 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Might it confuse 4 and 3 and sound like a V12?

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

8Back to top Go down   Just thinking... Empty Re: Just thinking... Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:01 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
chris846 wrote: we are hungry for links, . . . 
A Lorne sausage in a buttery roll is just as satisfying; furthermore, you can use it to train your dog when to bark and at what.

9Back to top Go down   Just thinking... Empty Re: Just thinking... Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:06 am

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
Hey if it sounds like a V12, that's a result in my book!

I think the Fi module on the LE Jetronic gets a firing signal from the ignition module, and somewhere in the dim and distant I sort of think this is once per revolution - the Jetronic bank fires on the exhaust stroke as well as the firing stroke.
How this works out with a 120' 3 cylinder I dunno. There's only 2 hall sensors on the '75, so I'd guess that the ignition module sends a firing signal to the FI module once per revolution just the same?

There's only one way to find out...

10Back to top Go down   Just thinking... Empty Thinking Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:16 am

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
It seems such a waste to have a wasted spark when you have three cylinders and three coils.

11Back to top Go down   Just thinking... Empty Re: Just thinking... Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:54 am

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
Well it seems the postulation is a little bit right, but mainly very wrong.

After a bit of research - reading, not doing, yet - I now think that the AFM doesn't in fact contribute a great deal. The ECU is built so's the injectors fire the right amount of fuel for a cylinder's worth of air every time the ECU receives a crank pulse from the ignition module (okay, actually half a cylinder's because they bank fire every revolution) and this amount of fuel is pretty much constant for much of the rev range. The rate of fuel consumption goes up as revs increase, but this is due to the injectors firing more rapidly. Makes sense when you look at it like that.
According to the Corky Bell book on supercharging (sold to me as the 'bible') the AFM is only there to modify pulse width a bit at lower revs, in order to improve driveability.

I was thinking more that the Le Jetronic was an electronic progression from the K-Jetronic: where an air flow meter mechanically opens constant flow injectors. In K-Jetronic the rate of fuel delivery is driven by air flow, not crank pulse. Still think it's worth pursuing the Le Jetronic a bit further for the supercharger though.

It'll be interesting to see what's happening on an oscilloscope. That's next  Rolling Eyes

EDIT: after years of struggling to find detailed info about the secretive world of Bosch fuel injection, I've just discovered a PDF link on the M***brick site (probs on here on this forum too, knowing my idiocy) that diagrams the 'map' linking airflow and pulse width. This suggests that the airflow meter's output is used by the ECU to determine engine load (ie. low opening/high rpm = low load, high opening/high rpm = high load etc.) So it's more instructive to view the AFM as a load meter....I think I'm getting it scratch

12Back to top Go down   Just thinking... Empty Re: Just thinking... Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:55 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
I suspect that the airflow sensor is adjusting pulse width to provide the correct amount of fuel for the air being pulled into the cylinder.  Since the amount of air being sucked into the cylinder on the intake stroke varies as the throttle opening, the fuel delivery needs to be matched to that volume of air.  

The Motronic takes throttle opening directly from the shaft the butterflies are on and calculates fuel from that.  The Jetronic, on the other hand, infers throttle opening(and the resulting airflow) by the deflection of it's flapper.

I think this airflow information is more important than just for fine tuning the fuel mix.  The air taken into the cylinder on the intake stroke can vary over a pretty wide range depending on throttle opening.  A constant flow of fuel would result in a mixture that would be incorrect most of the time.  

I think you are correct in thinking that the airflow meter is determining the engine load.  Under heavy load/wide throttle/hard acceleration there is maximum air flowing into the cylinder and thus maximum compression stroke air pressure.  Without the airflow information, there is danger of detonation and serious engine damage because of a lean fuel mixture.  That is the reason carburetors had acceleration pumps that gave a squirt of fuel when the throttle was opened rapidly.

If it was my project, I would try to use the Motronic.  Not only does it eliminate the airflow sensor, but my experience with OEM engine control systems tells me that the airflow sensor's barn door doesn't give the throttle response of the Motronic's throttle position sensor.  There is a noticeable difference between the two systems when the throttle is snapped open.  My experience, especially with my K75, is that the Jetronic doesn't respond well to snapping the throttle open, but rather prefers that I roll it on.  The Motronic does not have the Jetronic's momentary hesitation on rapid throttle opening.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

Sponsored content