BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Empty Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:04 pm

Beemer Wheeler

Beemer Wheeler
Gold member
Gold member
I could not resist buying this 300 % brighter light source, since at night on small country roads you need to see further if you want to ride a bit fast, and this Brick always wants to run.

https://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/BMW-K1-K75-K100-K1100-Xenon-HID-H4-Headlamp-Conversion/170572956318?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The installation was not too hard even if there is little space to do the job.
I had to enlarge the passage trough the rubber cover but no sweat, and I zip tied the ballast & relay units to the left horn bracket.

I am pleased with the results,so far,on center stand in the bike garage.

And the price : 50 Quids £  =  60 € =  $ 70 ,  not too expensive compared to some other products.

Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Image210

Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Image211Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Image212

Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Image215
Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Image214
Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Image213

Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Image216
Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Image217

2012 Yamaha YFL 381 (Flute)
2005 Yamaha PSR E-203 (Keyboard Synth).
2012 Yamaha 7 HP outboard engine
"Beemer Wheeler" Certified Brick Aviator since July 2013
Ham radio call sign HA5AH
http://h2fuel.mobi

2Back to top Go down   Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Empty Re: Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:29 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Beemer Wheeler wrote:I am pleased with the results,so far,on center stand in the bike garage.
cheers Seen any stags or boar yet, or does the door keep them out?

3Back to top Go down   Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Empty Re: Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:12 pm

Beemer Wheeler

Beemer Wheeler
Gold member
Gold member
We have a fox, and heard an elk last fall, deers can be seen crossing roads at sundown.
But the metal door keeps them all out of the garage.

4Back to top Go down   Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Empty Re: Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:18 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Elk?! Hitting one of those with a brick is gonna leave a mark.

I've had friends total their bike and get a week or two in hospital from just hitting a deer; scary to think what an elk can do.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

5Back to top Go down   Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Empty Re: Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:44 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Yup. Had two friends total their bikes on New Forest ponies. One pony got away with it; the other unfortunately didn't.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

6Back to top Go down   Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Empty Re: Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:09 pm

madhatter

madhatter
had a friend total his bike on a goat in NZ , almost totalled him too . the impact tore the goats head clean off . the brick had its front end torn off , tit for tat , lol

7Back to top Go down   Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Empty Re: Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:44 am

BobT

BobT
Life time member
Life time member
Played with HID for years now. Yours in a reflector light is totally illegal for road use and will dazzle oncoming drivers even when on dip beam. They should only ever be used in a projector light, just as every OEM car manufacturer does.

8Back to top Go down   Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Empty Re: Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:11 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
I travel miles of gravel road from my home to reach pavement. Riding on calm, clear nights accompanied by the rhythm of the engine is certainly a soothing experience for me. 

The road is usually forested right to the edge of its 1 meter shoulder although there are a few meadows or large lawns. The residents of this area include whitetail deer, black bear and moose. I've ridden up on moose trotting along the road using my high beams for guidance then had them turn to cross the road right in front of me. I've had a bear or two walk into the road as I approached on my moto. Both these animals are darkly-colored, obscured by the landscape and maneuver by impulse. The high beams of my moto's H4 incandescent bulbs have been sufficient to light them up.

I've had no close calls because I have no desire to "ride a bit fast" during the times these critters are likely to be most active—dusk to midnight, and dawn; however, I'm still a proponent of the free will of other riders, and of natural selection. Laughing

9Back to top Go down   Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Empty Re: Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:36 pm

moriarti

moriarti
Life time member
Life time member
Here in the PENNINES Moths, Beetles, Hedgehogs,and the odd courting couple fall into the lamplight that's enough for me  cheers cheers

10Back to top Go down   Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Empty Re: Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:04 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
moriarti wrote:Here in the PENNINES Moths, . . . fall into the lamplight that's enough for me  cheers cheers
Stay safe out there.
Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Mothra10

11Back to top Go down   Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Empty Re: Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:55 pm

tinyspuds

tinyspuds
Life time member
Life time member
madhatter wrote:had a friend total his bike on a goat in NZ , almost totalled him too . the impact tore the goats head clean off . the brick had its front end torn off , tit for tat , lol
or; tete a tete

2000 Hayabusa with Charnwood chair, Wasp forks and EZS wheels.

12Back to top Go down   Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Empty Re: Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:09 am

stanthomas

stanthomas
Silver member
Silver member
BobT wrote:Played with HID for years now. Yours in a reflector light is totally illegal for road use and will dazzle oncoming drivers even when on dip beam. They should only ever be used in a projector light, just as every OEM car manufacturer does.
Have you found a projector xenon/HID that will fit in the K100 rectangular headlight? I have contemplated taking an OEM HID unit from a scrap car and somehow installing that in a modified K100 lamp. Have you done anything like that?

One problem with HID is the warm-up time, so they need to stay on all the time. H4 usually switch between high and low beam fillaments. Do the H4 HID kits put both beams on together or is there a moment of terror as you switch between them?

Cars have two lamp units, xenon/HID projector for dip beam and normal halogen reflector for high beam. Is there room in the K100 headlight to do this?

Last edited by stanthomas on Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

13Back to top Go down   Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Empty Re: Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:48 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
My advice is to look at adding driving lights instead of messing with the headlight. If you want to do something to the headlight, add an Eastern Beaver relay harness. It will deliver more power to the existing H4 bulb while protecting the bike's handlebar switches. I have them on all my bricks, and they make the headlight noticeably brighter. There is enough extra power in the headlight with these harnesses that if you are doing long distances with the headlight on for long periods, there is the possibility of melting the plastic connector. I had to replace my connectors with ceramic.

As far as driving lights, there are LED units out there that throw a lot of extra light down range while not adding a lot of load to the electrical system. If you get some that are made with slave labor in China, you won't have to pay too much for them. A pair of 10 watt LED spotlights will add a lot of light for night time riding. You can aim them forward, or off to the side to see critters lurking on the roadside waiting to leap into your path.

Past:
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

14Back to top Go down   Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Empty Re: Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:04 am

cycleman

cycleman
Silver member
Silver member
I found the biggest problem on my old 86 brick was the reflector. I tried a brighter H4 bulb and that helped.  When I converted the bike to a naked K, and put a new 7" headlight on, the difference in reflector was amazing. Still using the same H4 bulb, but much brighter.

Part of the issue was likely the rectangular headlight verses the round headlight. The stock reflector, even when cleaned looked dull. Likely the reflective surface had lost its zip over the years.

15Back to top Go down   Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Empty Re: Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:27 pm

BobT

BobT
Life time member
Life time member
stanthomas wrote:
BobT wrote:Played with HID for years now. Yours in a reflector light is totally illegal for road use and will dazzle oncoming drivers even when on dip beam. They should only ever be used in a projector light, just as every OEM car manufacturer does.
Have you found a projector xenon/HID that will fit in the K100 rectangular headlight? I have contemplated taking an OEM HID unit from a scrap car and somehow installing that in a modified K100 lamp. Have you done anything like that?

One problem with HID is the warm-up time, so they need to stay on all the time. H4 usually switch between high and low beam fillaments. Do the H4 HID kits put both beams on together or is there a moment of terror as you switch between them?

Cars have two lamp units, xenon/HID projector for dip beam and normal halogen reflector for high beam. Is there room in the K100 headlight to do this?
I don't think that you quite understand a projector. It lights the HID bulb, 35 or 55 watts, and is on dip beam as standard. When you flick on high beam a solenoid moves the shield out of the beam giving you high beam from that same bulb. The shield is the reason that HID should only be fitted into a projector, it totally eliminates any stray light.
Yes I have fitted one to a brick headlight, but I needed a clear lens for the headlight so that the projector would shine through the glass. I was thinking of making a glass from headlight grade perspex, but abandoned the idea when I got a different bike.
I might still have the headlight here with the projector fitted and the reflector painted black, but I might also have given it to Will on this forum.
The parts, the projector and a 55 watt HID bulb and ballast are not expensive, I think that they come in at less than £50. I know that I still have one of each of those around in the garage.
A 35 watt HID will give you around 3 times the light of a 55 watt halogen bulb, the 55 watt is obviously much brighter. They do not run as hot as halogen either.

16Back to top Go down   Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Empty Re: Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:50 pm

stanthomas

stanthomas
Silver member
Silver member
BobT wrote:I don't think that you quite understand a projector...
There seem to be two types. I have heard about the 'suhetter' types but the one on the scrap Renault Laguna available to me does not have a 'shutter'. The xenon/HID is on all the time for dip beam and there's a seperate high beam halogen.

I have fitted a HID kit to replace the dip beam halogens on a VW Passat. Again, always on. They seem to work well, in part because there's a metal sheild in front of the bulb that blocks the dazzle.

So yes, I do understand them but I was interested in the practicalities of a retro-fit and your suggestion to look for a 'shutter' type projector uniit is very helpful. Thank you.

Last edited by stanthomas on Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

17Back to top Go down   Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Empty Re: Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:16 pm

BobT

BobT
Life time member
Life time member
https://ducatistbike.wordpress.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=50&action=edit
If you copy the above into your browser, it might give you a bit more insight into bi-xenon projectors with pictures.

18Back to top Go down   Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Empty Re: Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:55 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Stan: HIDs on motorcycles are illegal in the UK, period.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

19Back to top Go down   Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Empty Re: Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:54 am

BobT

BobT
Life time member
Life time member
Dai wrote:Stan: HIDs on motorcycles are illegal in the UK, period.
Well illegal is a bit strong in that there is not a law written specifically. They are an MOT failure, but so are LED bulbs and how many people are running them.

20Back to top Go down   Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Empty Re: Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:32 am

DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog
Silver member
Silver member
Beemer Wheeler wrote:I could not resist buying this 300 % brighter light source, since at night on small country roads you need to see further if you want to ride a bit fast, and this Brick always wants to run.

https://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/BMW-K1-K75-K100-K1100-Xenon-HID-H4-Headlamp-Conversion/170572956318?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The installation was not too hard even if there is little space to do the job.
I had to enlarge the passage trough the rubber cover but no sweat, and I zip tied the ballast & relay units to the left horn bracket.

I am pleased with the results,so far,on center stand in the bike garage.

And the price : 50 Quids £  =  60 € =  $ 70 ,  not too expensive compared to some other products.

I recommend this Cyclops product instead. I crossed the USA on its light. LED, not HID... runs cool, lower power use, very easy installation, great beam.

https://www.bobsbmw.com/store/product/cyclops-led-h4-10000-lumen-headlight-bulb

PAST:
old (indeterminate age) Ural + sidecar
1997 Buell S3T Thunderbolt
1982 BMW R100CS
1974 Kawasaki KZ400
1970 Suzuki Titan

21Back to top Go down   Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Empty Re: Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:09 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
DadofHedgehog, I don't want to hijack this thread, but how does the Cyclops LED headlight beam pattern affect oncoming drivers? Do you get much flashing from them?

How much room does it take behind the headlight compared to the stock bulb? Will it fit in the RT fairing?

I'm interested because I do a fair amount of riding after dark on unfamiliar roads, and for some reason, my headlights only last a couple years. I know the Eastern Beaver harness with the 50amp alternator runs my headlight brighter which is nice, but the low beam takes a beating.

I also have a protector in front of the headlight lens which I'm pretty sure reduces the airflow and cooling, so a lower wattage in the headlight would be very welcome.

Past:
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

22Back to top Go down   Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Empty Re: Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:48 pm

BobT

BobT
Life time member
Life time member
LED bulbs will cause light scatter too. A small flat LED or two will never be in the same position in the reflector as a halogen filament will.
LEDs do not run cool, that is why they have either a fan or a large heatsink on them.
LEDs look brighter because they are a whiter light than a halogen.

23Back to top Go down   Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Empty Re: Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:27 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Every time I've ridden down in the Baja Peninsula of Mexico, and have been caught between towns after sunset (not recommended), I've come across lorry drivers running the twisty mountain roads without lights on in pitch dark. I never got a straight answer for that behaviour. This is, of course, well before LED and their magical draw.

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

24Back to top Go down   Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Empty Re: Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:55 am

Beemer Wheeler

Beemer Wheeler
Gold member
Gold member
Trying to answer all questions in one post  Shocked 

I do not think this type of bulb is "illegal", (except maybe in France where they use yellow headlight bulbs).
I have seen new model BMW bikes with this bright headlight, and assumed it comes as standard on new bikes.
Riding fast at night means adapting your speed to road conditions, assuming you can see the road to judge its conditions, so it's relative "speed".
I think everybody agree that the original bulb is too weak.
There is no black out when you switch from high to low beam or the other way around, since the bulb, and gas mix is common and already warm.
Warm up time is about a minute, just enough to put my gloves on, but it already gives as much light right on switch on as an halogen bulb, it just gets much brighter after a minute.
[size=24]"This is a motorcycle specific kit not a car kit adapted to suit!"[/size]
(Scroll down to read all info).
And as such, it is designed to be perfectly centered at the focal point of the reflector, and do not "splatter" beams all around like cheap ILLEGAL SLAVE labor C.R.A.P.
Only one driver was signaling that "I was in high beam" when I was in low beam on a verry bumpy road where all cars are "blinding" each other as well.
Here in Hungary, we still enjoy 1960's like freedom, like riding in T shirt and shorts in the summer, sometimes without helmet !!!
Outside of cities, few people bother to put their seat belt on in the country side, and most folks drive way above "speed limit" even on shitty roads.
I LOVE it !
And NO !  I never crashed on a motorcycle or moped, (Knocking on wood), I did all my crashing on bicycle when I was 10.

Last edited by Beemer Wheeler on Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

25Back to top Go down   Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Empty Re: Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:04 pm

BobT

BobT
Life time member
Life time member
(except maybe in France where they use yellow headlight bulbs).

Now that is the funniest thing that I have read in a long time. France is part of the EU and so conforms to EU regulations. Yellow headlights were illegal on all new cars in France in 1993, 28 years ago!
We are also allowed to ride in shorts and T shirt if we want.

26Back to top Go down   Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Empty Re: Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:03 pm

gorio

Silver member
Silver member
I recently removed the LED bulb from My K100rs if anyone wants one. I took it out because it was a very tight fit with the cooling fan on it and I can just imagine the joy of changing it out on a dark road when it packed up. It was a pain to change in the shop.

I installed  regular H4 bulb with a xenon fill. These bulb seem brighter to me and seem to run cooler then the halogen filled bulbs. Buy a good one as some of the cheap ones don't last.

I must admit I don't spend a huge amount of time riding at night anymore and when I do it is not at nigh speeds due to the deer population around here.

Past lives
Kawasaki Concours
1976 BMW R90s
1975 Ducati 860gt
1992 Honda VFR750
1985 Honda VF750
1982 Kawasaki 750GPZ
1975 Norton 850 Commando

27Back to top Go down   Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Empty Re: Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:07 pm

Beemer Wheeler

Beemer Wheeler
Gold member
Gold member
Two Wheels Better wrote:I've come across lorry drivers running the twisty mountain roads without lights on in pitch dark

I've seen that in 1981, in Mexico, if there is a little mist, or fog, you actually see better without your headlight on, providing there is no clouds (like in the tropics except during the daily rain window from 4:00 PM till 4:20 in July), and the stars and moon are shining bright, the head beam mostly reflects of the tiny droplets of condensation and actualy light up the fog more than the road.
Try it on the freeway where the is no oncoming traffic, and if possible road lighting (like in Belgium), under rain or fog, even snow, leave your "parking lights / markers" on !!!
But for clear weather, better have a nice beam on ya Beemer.

28Back to top Go down   Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Empty Re: Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:12 pm

Beemer Wheeler

Beemer Wheeler
Gold member
Gold member
BobT wrote:(except maybe in France where they use yellow headlight bulbs).

Now that is the funniest thing that I have read in a long time. France is part of the EU and so conforms to EU regulations. Yellow headlights were illegal on all new cars in France in 1993, 28 years ago!
We are also allowed to ride in shorts and T shirt if we want.

LOL !
That tells you that even when I lived in Belgium, I haven't been in France much, lately.
As for Belgium, integral helmet, & protective wear are mandatory, even during heatwaves.

29Back to top Go down   Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Empty Re: Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:30 am

BobT

BobT
Life time member
Life time member
As for Belgium, integral helmet, & protective wear are mandatory, even during heatwaves.

I think that you will find that any motorcycle helmet is mandatory, but not anything else. Motorcycle gloves are mandatory in France.

The trouble with your post about yellow headlights is that with you saying that without knowledge will cause others to believe it and creating fake news stories.

30Back to top Go down   Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Empty Re: Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:57 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
I had an idea to post about the gloves but BobT beat me to it!!!

But don't they have to be CE marked gloves?

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

31Back to top Go down   Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Empty Re: Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:05 am

DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog
Silver member
Silver member
Point-Seven-five wrote:DadofHedgehog, I don't want to hijack this thread, but how does the Cyclops LED headlight beam pattern affect oncoming drivers? Do you get much flashing from them?

How much room does it take behind the headlight compared to the stock bulb? Will it fit in the RT fairing?

I'm interested because I do a fair amount of riding after dark on unfamiliar roads, and for some reason, my headlights only last a couple years. I know the Eastern Beaver harness with the 50amp alternator runs my headlight brighter which is nice, but the low beam takes a beating.

I also have a protector in front of the headlight lens which I'm pretty sure reduces the airflow and cooling, so a lower wattage in the headlight would be very welcome.
Just saw this post.

The bulb fits great in my K75, and now also in my K100RS. If it fits the RS, it should fit well enough in the RT (this is an assumption as I've never dug into an RT cockpit's guts).

The Cyclops throws a long beam and on Low, has a nice horizontal cutoff. I don't get flashed by oncoming traffic.

My Cyclops have several LEDs mounted on a horizontal "stick" - some on one side and some on the other side. The "stick" is inline with the bike's central axis. There is a tiny fan on the Cyclops' base.

I found these Cyclops LED bulbs at Bob's BMW in Laurel, MD. I remember they come in several variants of wattage (brightness). Of course, I chose the brightest one, which may technically be illegal on roads, but...

Separately, in reference to a post in this thread about dirty headlight interiors... when I bought my K75, after about 5 days I took off the 1995 headlight, opened the unit up completely on a sunny day in the hotel's parking lot, cleaned the silver reflector's surface gently with Windex and a very soft rag (a noticeable amount of oxidation came off) and then cleaned the inside surface of the round glass headlight's front panel (LOTS of dirt came off, and it took some elbow grease too). The process took a while, and I took my time as the day was nice and warm. The headlight that night was visibly brighter. I imagine 24 years of heat / cold cycles created a bit of oxidation and other sendiments in there.

The opening procedure required me carefully looking at the wire springs around the front glass under the chrome bezel, noting their positions, taking a few phone photo snaps, then removing the wire springs one by one. Reassembly was actually problem-free, although I took my sweet time to make sure I got things right. There is a rubber gasket in there between the glass front and the reflector. My gasket was in good shape so I reused it. That headlight has never leaked since. I recommend this procedure to help brighten these old headlights' beams.

PAST:
old (indeterminate age) Ural + sidecar
1997 Buell S3T Thunderbolt
1982 BMW R100CS
1974 Kawasaki KZ400
1970 Suzuki Titan

32Back to top Go down   Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Empty Re: Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:30 am

Beemer Wheeler

Beemer Wheeler
Gold member
Gold member
Notice to all:

After only a month of use, this made in T'shynah P O S just died of planed obsolescence, or poor craftsmanship like most of the stuff they manufacture.
Back to low tech, and original bulb.
Since I bought it from a UK based bike store I hoped it was made somewhere else since I have been avoiding buying anything form T'shynah as much as possible due to the low quality of their products.
So, buy at your own risk, but it was great while it lasted.
I am planing to have additional headlights (2) for high beam only with the same technology, but made in Germany (Bosh ?) that is fitted on BMW cars...

33Back to top Go down   Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Empty Re: Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:46 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
I have tried various alternatives and 

if you fit a relay [easy to do] you improve the light output and save the handlebar switch

if you get a new old stock reflector and fit that, it improves the light output even more.

if you get a 160w H4 bulb, its amazing....but you must use a relay and a ceramic bulb holder and not the original plastic bulb holder. You can adjust the aim to avoid dazzling oncoming drivers.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

34Back to top Go down   Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Empty Re: Bright Hot Beam for my Beemer Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:23 pm

Beemer Wheeler

Beemer Wheeler
Gold member
Gold member
92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:I have tried various alternatives and 

if you fit a relay [easy to do] you improve the light output and save the handlebar switch

if you get a new old stock reflector and fit that, it improves the light output even more.

if you get a 160w H4 bulb, its amazing....but you must use a relay and a ceramic bulb holder and not the original plastic bulb holder. You can adjust the aim to avoid dazzling oncoming drivers.
Thanks, that's sounds like a good mod, I will do when I find the bulb,ceramic  plug , relay & time.
I might find those locally (auto parts shop) and it will not add air drag like a pair of additional lights.
The reflector is still in good shape.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum