BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Seat Vinyl Repair Empty Seat Vinyl Repair Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:20 am

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Hello all,
I've been having a small problem with the seat cover material on '90 K75 Silver. Now Silver is my last project bike and the seat is essentially brand new. Got it from my friend Greg. And while I don't remember what I paid him I believe it was under USD $100. Which is a good price in my book as it was new_old, i.e is orig old BMW but unused. Has a plastic pan and no real wear when I got it. But it had probably been sitting around for a few years and I've put a few miles and a bit of wear on it.  And of course vinyl ages like everything else including riders. So I've got a couple of minor nicks and cuts on the edges. I've been advised to use super glue. But does anyone have other suggestions? I can get a vinyl repair kit but my experience is their material which is like a rubber compound tends to simply come off after a while. Another thought has been to use gaffer tape or similar along the edges. At this point the seat doesn't have any major cuts just maybe 3 nicks on the edge where the vinyl is rolled over and tucked up under the seat.

Any experiences to relate? I believe the seat is orig BMW, based on it being rather uncomfortable and sort of angular in design. But I've no plans to go for a complete seat recover/rebuild at the moment.

2Back to top Go down   Seat Vinyl Repair Empty Re: Seat Vinyl Repair Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:46 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
I've used duck/duct/gaffer tape in the past for major repairs when I couldn't afford a new seat. It's very effective but you have to be very careful to shiplap it (overlap the edges in the direction of most wear so it doesn't rolll up on you). If it's just a few nicks you're looking at, I think you'd be surprised at how long they will remain small nicks i.e. probably not worth worrying about at this point.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum