BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

51Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:22 pm

duck

Life time member
Life time member
caveman wrote:I'm still looking for a better bike than a k75!

I have it and you saw it when you stopped by a few years ago - a Lufty K75 turbo with Lufty high performance  cams.  Eats R bikes for lunch. Very Happy

http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

52Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:19 am

caveman

caveman
Life time member
Life time member
"Except for the worthless helmet lock, stock seats and the crappy K75S headlight. But at least they addressed the seat thing by coming out with the comfort seats."

I did a couple IBA rides on my first k a 100rt with the stock seat. I then got a Russel Day saddle and finally discovered the comfort seat that I prefer over the RDL. Looking back I think there should be an * in the record for completion with that standard seat.

53Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:54 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
caveman wrote:I did a couple IBA rides on my first k a 100rt with the stock seat. I then got a Russel Day saddle and finally discovered the comfort seat that I prefer over the RDL. Looking back I think there should be an * in the record for completion with that standard seat.
+1 on the Comfort Seat vs. the Day Long.  While the Day Long is really plush, it makes my RT noticeably harder to keep vertical when stopped.  I have a beautiful Day Long sitting unused in the garage because it caused me to drop my bike twice on my last trip with it.

It would be nice if the IBA spotted you a hundred miles on a run if you use the stock bench seat.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

54Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:07 pm

fishboy316

fishboy316
Life time member
Life time member
Hello folks, Been busy working on the beast. Got it back to the point where I could test the clutch. It has an issue. I have adjusted the cable all the way out. seems to be not totally disengaging when letting out. haven't changed out anything except to have lubed the splines. All seemed to fit back together rather nicely.  one thing I should say is that I dropped the transmission on the lift table. Landed face down on the pin. Was about a foot. It didn't show any signs of a problem but just FYI.

55Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:21 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
fishboy31 wrote: Landed face down on the pin.
The pin? Describe the pin and its location. I can't picture it because it's too beautiful here after today's snowfall.

56Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:41 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
fishboy wrote:. .. seems to be not totally disengaging when letting out.
Letting out what? When the clutch hand lever is released the clutch should be engaged, not disengaged. Is the pin that absorbed part of the blow from the falling transmission actually the clutch rod? Is the swing arm attached?

57Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:52 pm

fishboy316

fishboy316
Life time member
Life time member
Here we go! - Page 2 K100k5895-geartransmission_1000  This here pin that goes into the splines. Yes when letting out the clutch handle it isn't engaged correctly still a little slipping. 

Thanks Laitch

58Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:21 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
The pin-like object within the red circle—if that is what you're indicating—is the clutch rod. Is the swing arm attached to the transmission?
Here we go! - Page 2 K100k510

You haven't indicated if the swing arm and rear drive were attached when you attempted adjusting the clutch. Spill the beans. Smile

59Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:46 pm

fishboy316

fishboy316
Life time member
Life time member
Spilling the beans. Yes they were attached. That is the pin. Now the clutch rod.

60Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:53 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Let's pretend for a moment that when the clutch rod hit the floor it wasn't damaged nor it did it dislocate the clutch piston, the clutch piston bearing, and the clutch boot spring from their usual habitats. Let's also pretend that none of the transmission's internal works were affected by the drop onto its input shaft.

Are you using a new OEM clutch cable? Which clutch adjustment instructions are you following?

61Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:59 pm

fishboy316

fishboy316
Life time member
Life time member
No. I reused the cable that was on it.

62Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:17 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
What is the source of your clutch adjustment instructions?

63Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:23 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Laitch wrote:You haven't indicated if the swing arm and rear drive were attached when you attempted adjusting the clutch. Spill the beans. Smile

That does not impact clutch adjustment in any way.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

64Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:28 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
duck wrote:That does not impact clutch adjustment in any way.
Neither does pointing that out, duck. Smile

65Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:54 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Cabin fever much? 

It must be getting closer to spring.  Sugaring season in another week or so.

Past:
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

66Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:47 am

fishboy316

fishboy316
Life time member
Life time member
Source for adjustment: Chris Harris video and manual.

Sorry took so long to reply, Had to walk away from the project for the night.  Rolling Eyes

67Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:24 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
If you dropped the transmission on the input side with the clutch rod installed, the odds are pretty good that it landed on the rod and the tip got bent slightly.  That would make the movement of the rod sticky and result in funky clutch operation. 

I think that one of the K bike clutch rods(K75 or K100) can be removed without pulling the transmission, but I can't recall which one.  If it is the K100, then you could get it out for inspection from the rear.

Maybe someone here has a better memory than me.

Past:
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

68Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:02 pm

fishboy316

fishboy316
Life time member
Life time member
Yeah It was one of those sinking feeling pit of the stomach moments. Felt like  it had to have broken something. Trying to remember but I think it was a bit tight when I pulled the clutch rod out of the tranny. It was front heavy and i had latex gloves on with a bit of grease on them. Over it went just that quick.

69Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:43 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
The K100 clutch rod can be extracted out the rear of the transmission. Have you done that, fishboy, then rolled it on a flat surface like a piece of glass to check it for damage? I can't tell where you are in the seven stages of grief over this mishap. Please clarify.

70Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:10 pm

fishboy316

fishboy316
Life time member
Life time member
Well I am probably at 7. I am at the point of hey it happened what do I need to do to fix it. I have actually found a transmission out of another 85rs with 19000 miles for $130 about 2 hours away. Just in case I need it. Will be trying to figure it out tomorrow evening. Thanks for all the replies you guys. Will let you know about the clutch rod.

Bill

71Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:48 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Those clutch pushrods are pretty sturdy. I doubt that's an issue. I've abused them many times and never had a problem. You'd have to work pretty hard to materially screw one up.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

72Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:52 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
duck wrote:Those clutch pushrods are pretty sturdy. I've abused them many times and never had a problem.
Sounds both kinky and lucky.  Laughing   Moving on.

fishboy, are you indicating that you were pulling the clutch rod from the transmission because "something" felt tight and that's when the transmission went overboard but you decided to bolt it to the engine anyway and then adjust the clutch? Tell us clearly what is now assembled and what isn't.

None of us know what's happened, fishboy. My first thought was that the impact on the clutch rod pushed the clutch piston assembly out of position so I'd want to remove the clutch boot to verify those parts are okay. Did you check on that?

Chris Harris's adjustment instructions should have worked for you; furthermore, buying a transmission before you know you need one isn't diagnosing this situation.

73Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:45 am

fishboy316

fishboy316
Life time member
Life time member
Transmission is on. Swing arm is on. Driveshaft is on. Final drive is on. Replaced boot. I haven't taken the boot off since it was installed but will tomorrow. I am not running out to buy a new tranny , it just put my mind at ease a little to know that there was one close by and not expensive.

74Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:50 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
fishboy316 wrote:Replaced boot.
Replaced it before the mishap?

To summarize:
You were installing the transmission to the engine. The transmission fell from its support and landed first on its input shaft and the clutch push rod within the shaft before coming to rest. You resumed installation of the transmission without much checking of parts for function except the clutch rod action was not as smooth as you expected. You installed the clutch cable—before installing the swing arm and rear drive, or not—onto the clutch release arm, installed the clutch cable boot, verified the free length of the cable at its clutch arm connection, set the clutch arm bolt so it contacted the piston but did not press into it, then went to the clutch hand lever to set the ≈4mm free play between the lever and the lever housing and you couldn't make that happen? Or is it you could make that happen, but when you pulled the hand lever, the gear shifter could not shift between gears no matter how many times you pulled the lever or whether you tried rotating the rear hub?

Where am I off base in this story?

75Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:58 am

fishboy316

fishboy316
Life time member
Life time member
This is the order in which I did it:
I checked the clutch rod and checked that the shaft spun freely on the transmission. The rod was pushed in pretty deep and it was very tight. got it pulled out and it felt freed up. Mounted the transmission. replaced and connected the boot with the clamp. Installed the driveshaft. Installed the swingarm. Installed the clutch cable. Verified 3" at the cable end. Installed the final drive. Supported the drive with a board and paint can. Put the bike in gear. couldn't spin the final drive. Filled the tranny with fresh  gear oil. Pulled in the clutch and could spin the drive but very tight. It will shift once I spin the final drive. Found free play not as it should be. Was  2-2.5mm. Adjusted at the clutch handle. Could not get 4mm free play. Adjusted at the arm and bolt is barely touching. Again I can spin it with the lever pulled but is tight. I guess the issue is same clutch, same cable. Not much room for adjustment on free play.

So I guess to answer the questions.
Clutch cable went after swingarm.
could not get the free play correct.
It will shift if I move the final drive.

Thank you for investing the time with this.
Bill

76Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:39 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
When shifting gears, there are several internal components in the transmission that need to be moved, specifically the the shift forks and the gear sets on the input and output shafts.  The dogs also need to engage into their mating openings.

You mentioned filling the transmission.  I am going to guess that you drained the oil a couple weeks ago.  If so, the oil in the spaces between the moving parts of the transmission has drained out and the friction is higher as a result.

With my bikes it isn't unusual to have to rock the rear wheel slightly to "jiggle" the stuff in the transmission to get it to shift after sitting for a while. I think what you are seeing is normal with the exception of the clutch cable free play.  I am not sure what to say about the free play issue, but would suggest that you try starting the engine in neutral and letting it idle for a moment or two and then try the shifter.

Past:
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

77Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:35 am

fishboy316

fishboy316
Life time member
Life time member
The clutch boot was torn so oil was coming out  all over the place. I was going to change it out as this would have all the bases covered for a maintenance baseline. Doing the engine oil also.

I am going to play with the bike this evening. Haven't touched it since Sunday afternoon. Sometimes you need to step away.

78Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:39 pm

fishboy316

fishboy316
Life time member
Life time member
So I have it much better at this point. Cut myself a better measurement rod for the clutch adjustment. Remeasured and found it was long about 4-5mm. Adjusted the cable to the proper 3". Adjusted the arm and now have 4.2mm free play. seems to be shifting ok. Fired up the bike and tried it out.  Has no wheel on it yet but the final drive is spinning nicely through all the gears. Neutral has a little movement which I believe it does normally. Seems to be where it should be. Maybe???

79Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:06 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Sounds like you're in pretty good shape!  Yes, there is going to be a little bit of gear lash at the rear wheel in all the gears.  It's just the result of all the teeth the power has to go through to get to the road. 

You shouldn't need to go in there again for 20-25,000 miles. cheers

Past:
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

80Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:58 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
fishboy316 wrote:Verified 3" at the cable end. . . .
Adjusted at the clutch handle. Could not get 4mm free play.
Not much room for adjustment on free play.
Not exactly, eh? Laughing 

As you have discovered, fishboy, accurate measurement is critical for mechanical operation and accurate description is critical for not leading yourself, or others, into confounding warrens of speculation.

As long as the transmission shifts between gears and into neutral, as long as it doesn't sound like maracas at full flight during a rumba competition when you're finally underway and as long as the wheels rotate at appropriate speed, it looks like you might go for a ride again someday. cheers

Enjoy it!

81Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:59 pm

fishboy316

fishboy316
Life time member
Life time member
Yeah a lot of my issue is I am a telecommunication Technician not a mechanic. I am learning what makes this thing tick. I really love the bike and like the idea of being able to do my own work and fix it when out on the road. Thank all of you guys for the help. She isn't back together yet, may still need help! Very Happy

82Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:24 am

fishboy316

fishboy316
Life time member
Life time member
Point-Seven-five wrote:You shouldn't need to go in there again for 20-25,000 miles. cheers
 Man and I was just getting good at it too! Smile

83Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:56 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
fishboy316 wrote:
Point-Seven-five wrote:You shouldn't need to go in there again for 20-25,000 miles. cheers
 Man and I was just getting good at it too! Smile
LOL!

Past:
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

84Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:30 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
A few more transmission drops and you'll qualify as a master! cheers  To clarify, dropping the whole bike does not count toward certification.

85Back to top Go down   Here we go! - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go! Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:39 pm

fishboy316

fishboy316
Life time member
Life time member
Laitch wrote:A few more transmission drops and you'll qualify as a master! cheers  To clarify, dropping the whole bike does not count toward certification.
lol!  Lets hope not!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum