BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Fairing for RS Empty Fairing for RS 15/06/23, 05:33 pm

kappy1027

kappy1027
Silver member
Silver member
I would like to get an upper fairing for my RS, but I am unsure what will fit. I have seen an RT. Will that fir
t? and do I need the entire fairing or can I just put the upper on alone? 

Also, what other aftermarket windshield options are available?

Thanks in advance, Kirk

2Back to top Go down   Fairing for RS Empty Re: Fairing for RS 17/06/23, 02:36 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
I can see no reason that you cannot fit a RT or a RS fairing as the bolt holes should be in the steering head stem.  The upper fairing should be fine as long as the side brackets come with the fairing.  

If you go for a RT then the longer RT handlebars are required which also means the longer clutch throttle and choke cables are required.  

The RS ones require the shorter cables, handlebars and both fairings have different mounting frames to attach the fairing.  You can do away with the lowers if you wish.  

The only problem with a RS is the mirror pods as they are becoming scarce.  There don't appear to be a shortage of RT ones.  

One problem you may encounter when looking at fairings, is to establish that the FOUR mounting points on the fairing itself, where the mounting frame attaches are NOT broken.  If it has been repaired then walk away, as it is a common problem.  The fairings themselves are quite bulky and heavy, so you need two people to fit them easily.  

Hope this helps.

3Back to top Go down   Fairing for RS Empty Re: Fairing for RS 17/06/23, 06:04 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Just to clarify Tackler's response re. cables: the control cables for the naked and the RS are the same, but the RT's are longer. Check the wiring loom too. As long as no-one has messed with it, you should find that the wiring for the handlbar switches is folded up next to the headstock. If it has been messed with, you've probably wondered why the wiring for the switches is so long! Unfold the excess length and you'll find that the switches will fit the RT handlebars without being modified.

As Tackler says, it's important to get the correct side brackets for the upper fairing - these are the ones that bolt to the frame rails. The RS ones are narrower and at a slight angle compared to the RT ones. However, the difference appears to be almost negligable when just looking at them BUT! although an RT fairing will mount on RS side brackets, you'll find that you cannot get the fuel tank on or off without removing the fairing pockets. Additionally, you also stand a chance of vibration causing the fuel tank to contact the fairing pockets and if you're really unlucky, punch holes through it. Ironically, you can mount an RS upper fairing on RT brackets - you need to re-align the brackets slightly (i.e. a quick push with the hand!) and they stretch the RS fairing at the midpoint but it's nothing the fairing can't handle.

Note: LT side brackets are different again. They won't fit an RS or an RT fairing.

The mounting points on the fairing 'spider' at the front are identical for both the RS and the RT. You can use either the RS/RT pressed-steel spider or the later K1100 tubular steel one. If you use the tubular steel one for mounting an RS fairing, there is a small bracket on the lower bar that will need cutting off. The LT 'spider' is very different.

As one of my K's was stripped recently for conversion from RS to RT with an LT windscreen, I had a 'what fits where' session for curiosity, so I'm confident about the above information.

Aftermarket windshields are relatively widely available for the RT; they're usually taller rather than shorter. There is very little choice for replacing the RS windshield; I've only ever seen one make (someone here has one I think) and the price was two mortgages and a half.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

4Back to top Go down   Fairing for RS Empty Re: Fairing for RS 17/06/23, 01:43 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
One caution concerning the mounting of an RT or RS fairing on a Brick that was manufactured without them is that the fairing will be more sensitive to the effects of vibration. The front frame members of RT and RS Bricks are bolted to the engine through rubber damper blocs to reduce vibration. How long it takes for engine vibration to effect the stability of a fairing mounted on a Brick with an un-damped frame is an open question.

National is a US company that makes various windscreen styles adaptable to many motos. Secdem is a European outfit that also has several adaptable models in its selection and has received good reviews from a few riders here.

Attached are photos of a National-style windscreen that came with the Brick I bought. It's anchored to the handlebar on each side and to each upper fork tube. It worked well for upper body protection during rain and for protection during cold weather riding. It was stable when riding over potholes and rills. I also liked it because during backroad traveling at night I could pivot the headlight when I was stopped to look for landmarks or road signs; that's not something that can be done with a frame-mounted fairing. It wasn't suitable for me because I like a forward-leaning riding position using windblast as a cushion so I mounted lower handlebars and a seat easier to slide along. The windscreen was easy to dismount from the Brick when I removed it.

Fairing for RS Windsh10Fairing for RS Rightf10Fairing for RS Rearof10Fairing for RS Sidepr10

5Back to top Go down   Fairing for RS Empty Re: Fairing for RS 17/06/23, 02:55 pm

kappy1027

kappy1027
Silver member
Silver member
Laitch wrote:One caution concerning the mounting of an RT or RS fairing on a Brick that was manufactured without them is that the fairing will be more sensitive to the effects of vibration. The front frame members of RT and RS Bricks are bolted to the engine through rubber damper blocs to reduce vibration. How long it takes for engine vibration to effect the stability of a fairing mounted on a Brick with an un-damped frame is an open question.

National is a US company that makes various windscreen styles adaptable to many motos. Secdem is a European outfit that also has several adaptable models in its selection and has received good reviews from a few riders here.

Attached are photos of a National-style windscreen that came with the Brick I bought. It's anchored to the handlebar on each side and to each upper fork tube. It worked well for upper body protection during rain and for protection during cold weather riding. It was stable when riding over potholes and rills. I also liked it because during backroad traveling at night I could pivot the headlight when I was stopped to look for landmarks or road signs; that's not something that can be done with a frame-mounted fairing. It wasn't suitable for me because I like a forward-leaning riding position using windblast as a cushion so I mounted lower handlebars and a seat easier to slide along. The windscreen was easy to dismount from the Brick when I removed it.

Fairing for RS Windsh10Fairing for RS Rightf10Fairing for RS Rearof10Fairing for RS Sidepr10

That would be perfect for what I'm looking for. You wouldn't still have it, would you?

6Back to top Go down   Fairing for RS Empty Re: Fairing for RS 17/06/23, 03:44 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
As a matter of fact, I do, Kappy. I've offered it for sale a couple of times but nobody wanted to make the 7-mile trek to our place over the gravel pothole fields that comprise the town's road up this mountain, and that's even after being offered gen-u-ine café cubano and personal spiritual guidance gratis after arrival.

PM me if you want to discuss the future of this relic.

7Back to top Go down   Fairing for RS Empty Re: Fairing for RS 17/06/23, 04:32 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Not mentioned but needed is the front brake hose from the master cylinder. That also differs.

Something else I discovered too. I got 84 RS clocks one time for my 84 RT.

The mounting brackets were different even though they wore same part no on them. I had to cut the RS one to fit the RT.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum