BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Navigator

Navigator
Hi more knowledgeable watchers,

I've searched for information on this, but haven't found anything. Maybe I'm using the wrong terms, but surely someone (many?) have had to replace a broken/cracked screen.

More to the point, where can I obtain a new screen? Actually need 2, I have 2 K75s'.

Thanks in advance

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
A lot of patience is needed and it's a slow process. I had two new sets made by a local plastic repair company which was the easy part. The hard part is removing the old Perspex. I ended up using a air pencil burr as a router clamped into a homemade stand. I set it up to a smidge under the thickness of the OEM Perspex and carefully routed out the perimeter. To stop the burr from clogging you need copious amounts of coolant/lubricant and go slowly with the burr set at a slow speed. As soon as I started to get impatient with the slow progress I would stop and do something else. I left the centre section with the symbols intact. You will need to make a fence to cut a straight line both sides of the symbols. Once everything was cut through a couple of taps with a small hammers handle popped the Perspex free. The remains of the Perspex around the edges were cleaned up with wet and dry on a wooden block.  The straight cut was a bit messy when I got to the ends but it doesn't show once it was glued in. A Perspex friendly acid free glue was used to glue in the new Perspex. Never spray cleaners that have silicone in them as it can cause the Perspex to craze. The fence was glued in using a hot glue gun which was easy to peel off when finished.
Regards Martin.
K75 Instrument Screen/Glass (but not)/mostly clear thingy... Instru20
K75 Instrument Screen/Glass (but not)/mostly clear thingy... Instru16
K75 Instrument Screen/Glass (but not)/mostly clear thingy... Instru17

Shep

Shep
Life time member
Life time member
Good Grief!!!!
What a shemozzle if I tried to do that!

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
If I ever had cause to do it again I'd try something different. Instead of a burr I'd try using a small end mill tool, the burr kept on clogging and required frequent cleaning. This made the job tedious and a bit frustrating, requiring frequent breaks. Spraying with WD 40 helped but did not fully solve the sticking problem. At the time I had access to a CNC machine, but there was no way to get the tool in deep enough and close enough to the edge to mill out the Perspex. I occasionally try to come up with a different solution but it has evaded me so far. I have included a couple of pictures of my homemade router attachments, if anybody wants to go down this wombat hole.
Regards Martin.
K75 Instrument Screen/Glass (but not)/mostly clear thingy... Pencil11
K75 Instrument Screen/Glass (but not)/mostly clear thingy... Pencil12

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Post some pictures of the condition of the Perspex. Perspex can sometimes be restored by lightly sanding and polishing, try online for various restoration methods.
Regards Martin.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum