BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Getting hot and making noise  Empty Getting hot and making noise Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:57 am

buzzedAldrin

buzzedAldrin
I've had two worrying experiences so far. 
      The first was after about an hour ride during a hot afternoon in Florida, kept a more or less constant highway speed for 40+ minutes then some downtown stop and go. During the low speed the bike started making a whining noise and the temp warning light came on. I didn't notice any kind of power loss from the bike but after shutting the bike off it wouldn't start right away, after about 5 minutes it started no sound and no temperature light.  
    After that I did the simple dummy checks, it has fuel, coolant and oil were within levels. 
    I've had issues before with starting the bike when it's hot or right after topping off the gas, Ive sort of decided it's a old bike and I was "starting it wrong" because it's a intermittent problem and it's started again after less than 5 minutes when its given me problems.
    Second time was similar with higher speeds leading up to a longish light. No temperature light just a whining noise from the gas tank? And a repeat no loss in performance or other issues but it needed a short rest and started again with no noise. 

I've tried searching for the problem but might not know the right lingo to find what I'm looking for.  Could the sound I'm hearing be the fuel return line?  

1985 k100 i believe it has the fairing from a k75 

Last edited by buzzedAldrin on Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Back to top Go down   Getting hot and making noise  Empty Re: Getting hot and making noise Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:18 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
The radiator fan is supposed to start before the temperature bulb lights. No fan?

An elderly K shouldn't need a rest after running—even in Florida Smile —if its coolant is relatively fresh, its radiator fins aren't clogged with debris and its fan works.

3Back to top Go down   Getting hot and making noise  Empty Re: Getting hot and making noise Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:33 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Check the fan as I'm betting the wee bugger is probably seized. You don't say which model you have, so I'll skip the strip bit. When you can see the motor on the back of the fan, a good hard wriggle should release the motor cover and give you access to the motor. Check the brushes (or what's left of them! Twisted Evil ).

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

4Back to top Go down   Getting hot and making noise  Empty Re: Getting hot and making noise Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:28 pm

buzzedAldrin

buzzedAldrin
Is anyone here familiar with flat racer? I see a few original parts on eBay but like the idea of a upgrade from stock. https://www.flatracer.com/radiator-fans/flatracer-bmw-k-series-radiator-fan-kit

5Back to top Go down   Getting hot and making noise  Empty Re: Getting hot and making noise Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:05 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
That price is a rip-off. Search 'spal' on the forum to find out how to do it yourself for way less than half of that cost.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

6Back to top Go down   Getting hot and making noise  Empty Re: Getting hot and making noise Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:04 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Get the Spal fan and install it in the old frame the original fan was in.  All it takes is cutting the ears off the Spal and And making a single cut in the old frame to expand it to go around the the Spal fan with 2 or 3 pop rivets to hold it in place.  Easy peasy.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

Sponsored content