BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

keithnh

keithnh
Trying to replace starter switch with new factory part for my 85 K100. Maxbmw.com parts online fiche only shows an Australian(headlight on continuous) setup switch 61 31 1 459 464 … I can find numerous 61 31 1 305 233 online that look identical although I have not removed mine from bike to see plug end. Is there a difference that inhibits a direct swap?

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
It's a direct plug-n-play swap with no mods necessary to use either the "Euro" or US "always on" right combo switch.

The switch's side of the connector for the US right combo switch shorts power to the headlight and parking light to make up for the "missing" headlight light switch.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
keithnh wrote:Trying to replace starter switch with new factory part for my 85 K100. Maxbmw.com parts online fiche only shows an Australian(headlight on continuous) setup switch 61 31 1 459 464 …
Entries #1 and #2 of that parts list contain contradictions—not entirely unexpected in an expansive fiche like this. Entry #1 is titled Combination Switch Left. That's what it is, but it text reads Combi Switch RHS (right-hand side), which it isn't, and the photo shows a left-hand side switch. 

In entry #2, the code heading reads FOR VEHICLES WITH NATIONAL VERSION AUSTRALIA (CODE: Y734A) :, but the text reads USA switch; you cannot turn the headlight on and off, and the photo is of a right-hand side USA-style switch without an ON/Off button. That is the switch you seem to be seeking. If you can buy it from Max, you'll save a little money and likely get free M&Ms with the deal. Of course, you can buy a used one right now off eBay at less than half the price and have a little excitement in anticipation of its quality included. Laughing
Starter switch(right-hand control switch-cable) Screen49
Starter switch(right-hand control switch-cable) Screen50

keithnh

keithnh
Laitch .. I see the ebay used .. tried one already and sent back as start switch was broken and looked ready to fall apart, would prefer new part if I can find the right one for this item. Found a new 233(last 3 digits) that looked correct for 150$. Was curious about fit and functional differences in parts that appear identical. Guess I will pull old one before I order .. thanks for input.

duck .. thanks for input .. looking at fiche numbers seemed far apart for 2 I listed, couldnt fin the 233 applying to a different model .. confused abit .. is the 233 the US model for 85 k100?

mike jones

mike jones
keithnh wrote:Laitch .. I see the ebay used .. tried one already and sent back as start switch was broken and looked ready to fall apart, would prefer new part if I can find the right one for this item. Found a new 233(last 3 digits) that looked correct for 150$. Was curious about fit and functional differences in parts that appear identical. Guess I will pull old one before I order .. thanks for input.

duck .. thanks for input .. looking at fiche numbers seemed far apart for 2 I listed, couldnt fin the 233 applying to a different model .. confused abit .. is the 233 the US model for 85 k100?
61 31 1 459 464 is the correct part for US 85 K100.
I replaced that switch assembly not quite two years ago.
I bought it from Euro Motoelectrics, they have application charts for all their parts.
I had fun installing it. 
The 61 31 2 305 233 applies to various bikes built after ours, and the connector is completely different.

Before I ordered it, I read through all the posts on repairing the starter button.
Then it was like, oh hell, I've owned the bike for 35 years, so got a new switch assy.
It looks like the price at Max BMW and Euro Moto are the same.

keithnh

keithnh
Thanks very much! I assume "fun" means not fun .. Smile Will order 464 from Maxbmw or Schmeidmann's .. I have Clymers to guide me but looks like possibly a bung I tung chung hung as I would have said some years ago Smile .

mike jones

mike jones
keithnh wrote:Thanks very much! I assume "fun" means not fun .. Smile Will order 464 from Maxbmw or Schmeidmann's .. I have Clymers to guide me but looks like possibly a bung I tung chung hung as I would have said some years ago Smile .
Well, just be sure you will be moving things out of the way to route that big boot, and also be careful of the small screw at the bottom of the assembly, which may be stuck and may ruin your day, but is the first thing that needs to come out. Anyone who can become comfortably familiar with all the stuff on the right end of the K100 handlebar can do anything.

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
keithnh wrote:Laitch .. I see the ebay used .. tried one already and sent back as start switch was broken and looked ready to fall apart, would prefer new part if I can find the right one for this item. Found a new 233(last 3 digits) that looked correct for 150$. Was curious about fit and functional differences in parts that appear identical. Guess I will pull old one before I order .. thanks for input.

The 233 is the always on(continuous) switch for the later 4 valve Ks - K100RS4V, K1 and K1100. The 464 is the always on switch for K75s and 2V K100s.

The switch assemblies are exactly the same for both but they have different connectors.

The early 2V Ks have a white square 9 pin connector while the 4V Ks have a black rectangular 12 pin connector.

Starter switch(right-hand control switch-cable) CBdFsSc

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

keithnh

keithnh
Well .. thanks for input. I want a new plug-n-play start switch so looks like 464 for me. Still have to gather some fiberglass , possibly other parts-n-pieces to make my bike work for me. Love the British racing green someone painted it and willl try to do up the replacement f-glass with same. Has some road rash here and there but still straight and true down the road. Not sure whether grips or just handlebar arrangement is mildly uncomfortable to me, may try to find a heated grip setup(have on my R65) as my first attempt to remedy this. Have to thoroughly clean the bike and do a couple test rides to see whats necessary to "small trip" with it. It is very fast (for me anyways) will be easy to get in trouble with it. Like the ride position better on my R65 but the K100 screams Smile

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
That BRG is a standard K100 RT colour from 1986. It should be green and gold and yes, it's a really nice colour. Someone on ebay UK is selling a set of green and gold bodywork atm: I was tempted but the final price of all the parts added together plus the postage and packing was too high. Also there was no fuel tank - probably already sold. Here's a couple to look at:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/326083380392
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/326083323756
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/326085768230

-Dai

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

keithnh

keithnh
Believe mine was a repaint as factory paint code I found indicated a light blue and I find no traces of gold pinstripe. Green also doesnt seem quite as dark. Wasnt aware there actually was a BRG in BMW paint schemes Smile Bike was pulled out of woods by tow company I bought from. They took care so not really scraped up too much. Goes good, liked my dads R60 and Guzzi 750 back in the day .. my Beamer K-rat is a super-duty one of those to me. Tiny vibration begins as you cross 100mph mark, seems centered not right or left. Have to work on that

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum