BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

87m6chris

87m6chris
Silver member
Silver member
Picked up a parts bike last fall, the battery is in good shape, only 2 years old. My present battery is brand new.
If I empty the acid out rinse and drain it a couple of times, do you think I can dry store the battery and add
battery acid in 4 or so years and all will be fine? I haven't been able to find anything on dry storing a previously activated battery.
Thanks,
Chris

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Chris,
It is worth a try, keep the acid you drain out in a bottle so you can replace it and then just put the caps back in. That is what I would do in your position. The other option is to put it onto a battery tender but after four years simple age would be likely to have taken a toll.

I had a car battery last in re 13 years but that would be unlikely these days. Bottom line is, the battery is not hugely expensive, so if after four years putting the acid back in and using a conditioning battery charger will not resuscitate it to full life then there is nothing else you could have done that makes sense. So give it a go.
Regards,
K-BIKE

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
just a thought ...dont use a plastic bottle ......the polymers will leach into the acid and corrupt it ....use a glass bottle

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Alex_GER

Alex_GER
Silver member
Silver member
charlie99 wrote:just a thought ...dont use a plastic bottle ......the polymers will leach into the acid and corrupt it ....use a glass bottle

Unfortunately you would need the proper glass (like Schott Duran), since Aluminium is solved from regular glass. Either the proper glass or just fresh acid...

http://www.students.uni-mainz.de/alotz/portfolio/

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
Hi there, Im not sure I´ll do that, in my experience a 2 years old bike battery is some were betwen the middle and the end of her life. Storing the new one is a bet, no one knows how much it will last once you reactivate after one or two years, or if it will work at all. I´ll keep the new one and sell, or store the other to see waht happens.
Best regards
JAP

Shep

Shep
Life time member
Life time member
It would be a bit of a nuisance but why not change your battery out em both in running condition.everyone to two months.

Shep

Shep

Shep
Life time member
Life time member
Wow, was that poor English!!!!!!!!!!!
Try again Shep
It would be a bit of a nuisance but why not switch your battery out every one to two months and keep them both in running condition.

Shep

87m6chris

87m6chris
Silver member
Silver member
it would be a nuisance and you wouldn't get a longer life out of either battery.

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
Keep the good battery, sell the other one. When you need a new one buy a new one. It's never going to be in as good condition as a new one. My 10 cents worth (only cause we don't have 2's and 5's anymore) Very Happy

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum