BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   drawn out battery Empty drawn out battery Wed May 04, 2011 5:16 pm

dabosswd

Hey folks,

I have an 1985 k100 naked and i just put a new battery in her and the other day it just died on me......hooked up a charger and it said completely dead..hooked up trickler and it took a charge...my question is........what can be drawing the power where the bike would die while running? any common problems with this model?

Long Island n.y.

2Back to top Go down   drawn out battery Empty Re: drawn out battery Wed May 04, 2011 5:33 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
An alternator that doesn't charge the battery??

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland drawn out battery Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

3Back to top Go down   drawn out battery Empty Re: drawn out battery Wed May 04, 2011 6:30 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
As Rene said...check the output of the alternator (14 volts or there abouts) to see if it's supplying enough voltage to the battery, if you can get the bike running.

When the bike is running, does the charge light illuminate? If it doesn't, you may have a blown bulb?

You may have picked a dud battery from new perhaps?

Last edited by blakey on Wed May 04, 2011 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : carnt spel)

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

4Back to top Go down   drawn out battery Empty Re: drawn out battery Wed May 04, 2011 8:46 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The alternator is where I would start looking even a crook diode pack can discharge a battery.
Like Blakey said a blown bulb on the warning light can stop an alternator charging because it gets its initial excitement from the current the light draws.

5Back to top Go down   drawn out battery Empty Re: drawn out battery Wed May 04, 2011 11:11 pm

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Like the men said best place to start looking.

BIG D

6Back to top Go down   drawn out battery Empty Re: drawn out battery Thu May 05, 2011 8:42 pm

dabosswd

thank you all.i will be checking the alternator and light this weekend.....as always...very grateful for all the help

Long Island n.y.

7Back to top Go down   drawn out battery Empty Re: drawn out battery Fri May 27, 2011 4:49 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Just to clarify when we say 14 volts output from the alternator that is only when the bike is running over about 2,500 revs, at idle the output will be under 12 volts probably.
Regards,
K-BIKE

8Back to top Go down   drawn out battery Empty Re: drawn out battery Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:55 pm

dabosswd

ok........great info guys.now.i am a non mechanical person when it comes to this bike............which light is it on the cluster and where is the alternator? thanks

Long Island n.y.

9Back to top Go down   drawn out battery Empty Re: drawn out battery Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:25 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
The charging lamp has a battery symbol beside. Alternator is on the right side, above the gearbox.

Inge K.

10Back to top Go down   drawn out battery Empty Re: drawn out battery Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:36 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
"Alternator is on the right side, above the gearbox"

You will see a black "triangular" shaped piece of plastic (held on by 2 hex-head screws).
Remove this cover for a better look at the alternator.

11Back to top Go down   drawn out battery Empty Re: drawn out battery Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:15 pm

It might be a good idea to go to a decent cheap tool warehouse and buy yourself a small digital multimetre which will give you DC volts and a whole lot of other things you may or may not need to know. They're useful and in America you can find a cheap but effective Chinese-made one for under twenty bucks, easy. I bought two and compare their readings. Or go for a 'Fluke' brand for a lot more, but it is better. They'll make your new-found electrical life a helluva lot easier. They may look slightly intimidating to a novice, but they're really quite simple to use. Cheers!

drawn out battery Multim10
This is the very brand I bought and it cost me less than ten dollars five years ago in Tacoma, Washington. I'm still on the original batteries, the both of them!

12Back to top Go down   drawn out battery Empty Re: drawn out battery Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:47 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
So my three dollar multimeter from flea-bay is a bargain?

It's red (so it must be good), numbers appear on the display when I poke electrical things with it and it fits in the rear cowl of my bike...so I'm happy with it.

13Back to top Go down   drawn out battery Empty Re: drawn out battery Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:02 pm

That's what's needed. Mine are red (like my bike) too!

14Back to top Go down   drawn out battery Empty Re: drawn out battery Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:35 pm

lhead71

I second the multi-meter. It has been an invaluable tool in diagnosing electrical problems. I just replaced my alternator with a 50amp model from a 1993 K, when running at fast idle of 1400 rpm it charges the battery at 13.95 volts. It bolts right in and I got a used model shipped to my house with larger cables for 165.00 USD.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum