BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   May I ask why my thread was locked? Empty May I ask why my thread was locked? Sun May 08, 2011 2:20 am

DSCR

http://k100rt.aforumfree.com/t2164-electrical-issues

If I broke a rule, please enlighten me?

Thanks

pjjms

Silver member
Silver member
Your thread does not appear to be locked. I can view it anyway.

I noticed the other day that a thread that I posted a comment in dissapeared for a while and then was visable in the list of posts again. I wonder if they do not show on the list when somebody is typing a reply?

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
I am also having problems with threads showing locked today.

http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

Avenger GT

Avenger GT
Life time member
Life time member
"I am also having problems with threads showing locked today."

Likewise!!!!! Shocked

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
OK, blame it on Crazy Frog.

This forum is hosted on a free forum provided by Forumotion.

Part of the agreement with this company is that they own the database containing all posts Twisted Evil.
Unless I start to collect money from the users in order to run a private forum, we have to stay with them.
I don't have any problem with that at the exception that if Forumotion goes out of business, the forum with all its posts will be gone for ever.
I was testing a software to backup this site on a local computer. I guess the posts had been locked during the process. This software is very powerful and will backup the sites referenced on this forum (This includes pictures and movies from You-tube). Just to give you an idea, backing up the 'general discussion' and all its links is about 400,000 files.
The idea is to create a CD of all the post of this forum. If this process is working, you could have the forum loaded on your computer or on a CD.

I will let you know the progress.

CF

BigBob

Silver member
Silver member
my thread was locked and then opened again.

http://www.dreyfusashby.com

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Yes in order to make a shadow copy, the post has to be locked.
I have not been able to complete the backup process because the connection is reset by my Internet provider (too much trafic on my connection).
Monday, I will try to run the process from my office.

8Back to top Go down   May I ask why my thread was locked? Empty Keep Our Forum Going Please Sun May 08, 2011 9:58 am

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
Crazy Frog wrote:Yes in order to make a shadow copy, the post has to be locked.
I have not been able to complete the backup process because the connection is reset by my Internet provider (too much trafic on my connection).
Monday, I will try to run the process from my office.

Good work CF - running a forum myself - www.westcountryrideouts.co.uk - I appreciate the work that you do here and the need to try and conserve all the gems of wisdom and invaluable technical posts and information for past, present and future brick riders/owners. It would be a catastrophic loss if all the posts/info etc. were to be lost forever. I actually pay for my forum's hosting etc. out of my own pocket but that is the way I have chosen to do it and I do get some donations from my members occasionally to help with the costs. Please do whatever you need to do in order to preserve this most valuable resource and keep up the great work Wink

Regards

krambo/Mark

http://www.its-personal.net

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
What krambo said...you're doing a hell of a job and we all thank you for the effort that you are putting in.

Do whatever you need to do to keep this excellent Forum running.

Thank you Crazy Frog.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

10Back to top Go down   May I ask why my thread was locked? Empty Re: May I ask why my thread was locked? Sun May 08, 2011 11:57 am

DSCR

blakey wrote:What krambo said...you're doing a hell of a job and we all thank you for the effort that you are putting in.

Do whatever you need to do to keep this excellent Forum running.

Thank you Crazy Frog.

Ditto and amen.

As a side note, my other thread is locked again..... Laughing

11Back to top Go down   May I ask why my thread was locked? Empty Re: May I ask why my thread was locked? Sun May 08, 2011 12:06 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
i agree with blakey ...cheers bert

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

12Back to top Go down   May I ask why my thread was locked? Empty Re: May I ask why my thread was locked? Sun May 08, 2011 12:11 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Yeah keep up the good work Bert. cheers cheers

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Ditto, three cheers for Bert May I ask why my thread was locked? 502531

BIG D

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Just found that a lot of posts are locked. I have to manually unlock each of them. This will take me few hours. Crying or Very sad

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
May I ask why my thread was locked? 259495

I just finished to manually edit the 2130 topics of this board in order to unlock about 1/3 of them.
My vision is a bit blurry now.

Here is a reason why I am looking at a solution to backup this board: (This was received from Forumotion and it's a bit scary).

Dear Members,

We wanted to apologize for the inconvenience on your forums during the weekend.
Indeed, we had server issues related to our host who decided earlier this weekend, and without consulting us, to make hardware changes on them.
Following these changes, you have encountered problems with downtime, maintenance pages, white pages, disappearance and / or mixing of messages and other problems.
Today, Monday morning, most problems have been corrected and you should not have downtime or maintenance messages. However, the forums hosted on servers directly affected by this changes of material have lost content over the last 48 hours that can not be retrieved. affraid affraid

Feel free to contact our support team if you are still having trouble with your forums.
Although this event is linked to our host and therefore beyond our control, we are putting everything in place so it does not happen again.

Best,
Forumotion Team

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
huggs bert .....thanks for trying ....when you get time ...i hope you recover well...cheers mate

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Hmmmm the stuff nightmares are made of!

chrish8846

Silver member
Silver member
I think it is a good Idea to have a sticky set up so you can donate to the forum to help defray costs. I belong to several forums that you have to donate too to even post. I'm sure everyone on here would donate to help Crazy Frog with the expense and time required to run this great forum.

19Back to top Go down   May I ask why my thread was locked? Empty Re: May I ask why my thread was locked? Sun May 08, 2011 10:28 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Just putting out some thoughts.

First, I really appreciate Bert's hard work at keeping this forum going and maintaining free admittance and membership.

There's much more to the issue at hand than donations may be able to solve. Bert's alternative of running the entire forum on a separate set of servers in its own environment, independant of Forumotion, drags along with it lots of concerns around forum functionallity, information integrity, information security and data availability. It means having some means of providing 24/7 support because the membership of this forum spans many time zones, evident by the map on the home page. Data integrity and availblity entail RAID for reduced recovery point objectives and archive/offline storage for near-zero recovery point objectives. It will tax Bert by demanding more of his time to manage the infrastructure. It might mean assigning other administrators to cover off when Bert cannot be available to resolve issues.

Maybe investigating another forum provider could be the answer.

Maybe hosting the forum using the services of Cloud providers like Amazon or Enomaly might be the answer. Maybe those same providers will offer a solution to archive the existing data automatically and provide that archived information in a form that makes it available to the community, such as Bert's DVD suggestion.

I wouldn't object to paying a donation so long as there was assurance that the criteria above were handled properly or a concensus by the community what can be reasonably expected regarding these criteria. For me, availability and integrity are most important.

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
I think Rob brings up excellent points about the need for availability and integrity of information. If these issues can be addressed I would have no problem paying a yearly fee to access the forum.

OG

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Thanks guys.

The issue is that if we leave this provider, we also leave the data and posts.
I know Forumotion has some paid options. For example in exchange of a fee, you can remove all the advertisements. You can pay for more storage for the gallery or have a Domain Name such as www.bmwk100.com.
For the last 5 years, I maintain another forum with Forumotion (BMWONS) and never experienced any problem.
I will explore all the options but I don't want to impose a fee to anybody. The option of a donation is in my view the best.
A couple of members already sent me mail proposing to make a donation because this forum saved them a lot of $$$.
Until now, I have not spent any money and for this reason I didn't accept any money.
My work is free, and the big reward is your appreciation.
Helping a friend or a community and seeing people happy brings me more satisfaction than a couple of $ in my wallet.

Thanks for all your support.

Bert

You are the man! And we love you for it. But I'd still donate some filthy lucre if it made it easier for you and the others who use and appreciate this forum, the best one I've ever had the privilege to be a member of. It's the people here who give it some flavour but it's Le Chef de Grenouille who prepares the tasty meal.

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Please don't fry my legs! They may be tasty but I still need them to ride the bike.
And you are right, the members are the ones that makes a forum to live, survive or die. I am still amazed about how much we can talk about one type of motorcycle.

Cheers

Bert

One track minds. Our wives, partners' and girlfriends' eyes are truly glazed over by now so we have to look elsewhere for someone to share our zany ideas about our favourite toy.

It's not like we're playing bingo or in a knitting circle, oldies wearing cardigans and slippers, or a cluck of weathered old Sheilas 'round a teapot, sharing recipes for sponge cake...or is it?
:joker:

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Yikes! I hope I'm not ready for the cardigans and the pipe just yet!!

OG

Avenger GT

Avenger GT
Life time member
Life time member
"I am still amazed about how much we can talk about one type of motorcycle."

The fact is the forum is more than just talking about one type of motorcycle. All sort of other bits and pieces get tossed in along the way which make it more interesting, and all done with good humour and a bit of banter. Fair play to you Bert for starting it and putting so much time into it.

May I ask why my thread was locked? 212902

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
+1

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
+2 May I ask why my thread was locked? 112350

IPJ100

IPJ100
Silver member
Silver member
Cardigans?? sponge cake?? Bingo?? where?? damm I missed it again! Oh well , best go and play with me bike then. Love to see all the different thoughts, on what is as you say the same subject (K's), Lets get T shirts printed!! SAVE OUR FORUM !! etc. etc. Seriously tho' a big thanks to all - i've been helped - i may of helped another - and there is wealth of info and fun in here.
Maybe someone should suggest a gathering of all members & their bikes for next year!? nothing fancy, monaco or St. Tropez or similar campsite!! All great stuff folks - keep it up please - if a donantion annually is suggested count me in.
Keep it shiny side up --

Ian cheers May I ask why my thread was locked? 719641

IPJ100

IPJ100
Silver member
Silver member
PS I also found some threads locked..

Ian

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
After reviewing the options offered by Forumotion, I guess we are out of luck. The only paid options are: no advertisement and more storage space.
Storage is not an issue as I am using my personal space on a corporate server to store the files hosted in the download section. Pictures are hosted on servimg.com and it doesn't seem to have a limit.
I am still determine to backup the forum and will try again. I may have to lock the forum for one day but at least we will secure our data.
Don't take me wrong, Forumotion is extremely reliable but 2 backups are better than one.
to be followed....

CF

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Whatever it takes CF to save the forum May I ask why my thread was locked? 112350

BIG D

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Excellent plan CF go for it and well done!
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum